My July 11 Knee Replacement

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I haven't posted in a while, because I was in anesthesia and medication fog. I'm coming out, so thought I'd share a bit. Mods, if this needs to go into another knee surgery thread, you won't hurt my feelings.

I went with the spinal anesthesia with the knee block. Worked way too well, as my bladder also went to sleep, keeping me in the hospital for an extra 24 hours, and taking medication that made my blood pressure drop. All is well now, so that's what matters.

Things that surprised me post-surgery:

1.Lack of appetite. Nothing sounds good. I have a sweet tooth and even sweets turn my stomach. Weight loss would be welcome so not bitching too much.

2. Initial exhaustion. 6 maybe 7 naps a day and 8+ hours a night. That's now down to two short naps a day and fairly restful sleep at night.

3. I can nap in the continuous passive motion machine (CPM). Yeah🤩

4. I am constantly thirsty and my lips are dry and chapped. I think it's the meds.

5. Walking made me breathless, but that's getting better daily.

6. Pain has been minimal. I refused opioids, and am only taking Tylenol, along with Celebrex and Gabapentin which are only for 30 days.

7. I'm walking mostly with a cane - just using the walker first thing in the A.M. when I am stiff. Sometimes I get to a room and look around to see what I did with my cane, and realize I left it in the other room.

8. This leg wedge is my best friend right now. Well worth the $$.

9. Outpatient physical therapy was the right decision for me. Makes me get up, shower, figure out how to get my leg in the car and see other humans besides DH.

10. DH far exceeded my expectations as a caregiver. I think the new has worn off as he isn't quite as attentive as he was, but I'm also getting more independent each day, so I appreciate the space.

11. Compression socks SUCK.

12. Prunes are your friend.

Finally, did you know there are a couple of Facebook groups for knee replacement folks? Not for the faint of heart, I must warn. The people who have success stories are less likely to share than those with complications. It's a great resource for questions about all the nasty things that can accompany this surgery. It's guaranteed someone else has lived it.

It's so good to be back!

SumDay, I was wondering how your surgery went! Thanks for posting about it.

From what I gather, exhaustion and lack of appetite are normal. However you are the first person I have read posts from, who said they were only having minimal pain despite refusing opioids entirely. Also, few people only need a cane 12 days after surgery. Both of these are terrific! I am so happy for you.

It sounds like perhaps your surgeon used one of the new "minimally invasive" techniques which are supposed to be easier on the patient. Also, maybe the lack of opioids explains why you can drive already, less than two weeks after surgery.

Anyway, glad to hear from you and to know that everything went so well for you. :D :dance:

It sounds like perhaps your surgeon used one of the new "minimally invasive" techniques which are supposed to be easier on the patient. Also, maybe the lack of opioids explains why you can drive already, less than two weeks after surgery.

My surgeon is young and does things a little differently than the rest of the knee guys in his group. I had no staples, just internal stitches and glue which meant I could shower immediately and the CPM machine wasn't as dangerous or painful. My PT said the glue gives people a head start on getting range of motion back.

I'll have to ask him about the "minimally invasive" aspect when I see him early next month. I do feel pretty darned lucky, especially after visiting that Facebook group. There are some real horror stories out there.

Thanks for the concern W2R!

My surgeon is young and does things a little differently than the rest of the knee guys in his group. I had no staples, just internal stitches and glue which meant I could shower immediately and the CPM machine wasn't as dangerous or painful. My PT said the glue gives people a head start on getting range of motion back.

I'll have to ask him about the "minimally invasive" aspect when I see him early next month. I do feel pretty darned lucky, especially after visiting that Facebook group. There are some real horror stories out there.

Thanks for the concern W2R!

He sounds like a great surgeon! Being young, he probably knows the latest and greatest techniques. I think that is great that you could shower immediately, and had no staples. I wouldn't trust anything I read on Facebook, but I haven't ever seen a first hand report by anyone who did as well as you with no strong pain medication and not even a walker. Congratulations! I am so happy for you that you are doing this well. I want your surgeon. :LOL: Oh well. My surgeon is older so we'll see how that goes.

Nice to see you are on the way to healing! I have never had knee surgery but am now 9 weeks post rotator cuff surgery with a long road of p.t. ahead. My list would have many similarities to yours, including getting out of the house for p.t. and the surprise of little to no appetite for days after surgery. There are also several very active Facebook sites for rotator cuff surgery: it has, on the one hand, been very helpful to learn from others who have been through it, but on the other hand you get lots of scare stories from people who had things go wrong. Best luck for a full recovery!

So glad you aced your knee surgery .My So had a recovery like yours .He was on minimal pain meds and only used a walker for a day .He then went to a cane briefly .Everybody's recovery is different and you sound like one of the lucky ones.Hope you keep on getting better !

Last edited:
SumDay said:
Finally, did you know there are a couple of Facebook groups for knee replacement folks? Not for the faint of heart, I must warn. The people who have success stories are less likely to share than those with complications. It's a great resource for questions about all the nasty things that can accompany this surgery. It's guaranteed someone else has lived it.

It's so good to be back!

I checked out some of the Facebook support groups. 90% are tales of pain, suffering, incompetent medical staff and unfeeling spouses. I gave up on them as they are so very, very negative.

A lot of the negativity comes from people who either were never told what a tough surgery TKR is, how long the recovery time is, what succesful recovery requires and that it is very painful.

The sites are peppered with postings such as "It's been six days since my surgery and my knee is still very painful. WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!!?". Or, "My neighbor's Aunt Maude who is 82 had a TKR last year and went on a 10 day Salsa Dancing Cruise three weeks after her surgery. So why can't I get cleared to return to my work as a house cleaner, since it's been four weeks since my surgery?"

And my favorite...... A lady sleeps with her dog every night. The dog often sleeps up against her leg. The doctor told this patient that this was not a good idea since her incision wound and surgery area could get an infection. She wants to know if the can ignore the doctor's advice because poor Snoopy will be upset if he has to sleep alone.

Perhaps the success of this procedure may be its greatest enemy. People are not taking the cutting, pounding, drilling, pushing, pulling and stretching that takes place very seriously and thus may not be doing their due diligence.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is my 10 week ann-knee-versary. One of the biggest reasons (besides the pain and limping) was to be able to attend my son's wedding in Chicago.

Last Thursday, we boarded the plan to Chicago, I requested a wheelchair when we landed and they took us to baggage claim. The rest of the weekend, I was on foot. Saturday we walked THREE MILES to get to the site of their wedding on the shore of Lake Michigan. Later that evening, I got to have my mother/son dance with him. I managed not to bawl.

I started back to regular yoga today, am riding my three wheel recumbent bike each morning. I still have some pain, but each day it gets better. The ice machine, walker and toilet riser have been put away, awaiting the next one (2020?).

Hope other knee patients are managing their pain, making progress and optimistic about their futures. I feel incredibly lucky. I attribute much of my progress to yoga and my thunder thighs I gained from the biking.

Congratulations, SumDay! What a wonderful result for you!

Most others are not doing as well as you. But if they follow their PT instructions, time will be an ally. Their knee suddenly will quit hurting and they'll be back to normal.

Just don't jump off any rock walls or do anything high impact.

Thanks Bamaman. Caution is my middle name.

Wow! That sounds amazing...3 miles of walking plus dancing...and only 10 weeks since surgery. You sound like a bionic woman. :dance: Congrats!

omni

Back
Top Bottom