Join Early Retirement Today

It's Not Getting any Better
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's Not Getting any Better

Yesterday, I went for a follow-up visit with the transplant team after my hospitalization. I had a 10 am appointment and was not seen until 12:45! They are in disarray at the transplant center. I had no labs done, just saw nurses who asked me questions about my meds and finally the transplant doctor who listened to my lungs with his stethascope and made a few small changes to my third tier meds which I don't agree with. I manage my transplants through my nephrologist who pays much closer attn to me. I have a call into him about my med changes.

Today, I received an email from my transplant co-ordinator:
"By the way, initial results from labs yesterday look great! I will review the completed version with Dr. Wali and let you know if he wants to change anything.
Thanks,
Nikki"

I had no labs taken yesterday!!!

So, as my wife quipped "Well, somebody's labs were great yesterday!"

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A number of years ago, my husband was hospitalized for a serious cardiac event. While he received excellent medical treatment in the ER, the rest of his hospital stay was horrible -- a near fatal reaction to a drug he shouldn't have received, a cardiology fellow who gave me flippant, dismissive answers to my questions... And all this was at one of the nation's most highly regarded hospitals for cardiac care.

Once he returned home and was on the way to full recovery, I decided to file a formal complaint with the hospital's review board. I provided as much fact as I could remember and explained that my intent was not to harm anyone's career, but to ensure that no other family ever went through what he (and I) did during an extremely stressful event. I am glad I reported this as shortly after, we learned that the hospital was about to implement new regs...including staff training for all who encounter patients and families. DH and I have both been patients at this hospital subsequent to this episode, and we've both noticed a real difference.

Not saying that we alone made the difference, but if no one speaks up, nothing changes.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm posting while waiting for the doctor at an appointment for Lena. Instead of having her medical records electronically transferred, she writes her history from memory on a form, and then the nurse reads it and types it into the computer.

So they are about 25 years behind.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yesterday, I went for a follow-up visit with the transplant team after my hospitalization. I had a 10 am appointment and was not seen until 12:45! They are in disarray at the transplant center. I had no labs done, just saw nurses who asked me questions about my meds and finally the transplant doctor who listened to my lungs with his stethascope and made a few small changes to my third tier meds which I don't agree with. I manage my transplants through my nephrologist who pays much closer attn to me. I have a call into him about my med changes.

Today, I received an email from my transplant co-ordinator:
"By the way, initial results from labs yesterday look great! I will review the completed version with Dr. Wali and let you know if he wants to change anything.
Thanks,
Nikki"

I had no labs taken yesterday!!!

So, as my wife quipped "Well, somebody's labs were great yesterday!"

Mike D.
That is unbelievable Mike, these folks sound dangerous.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It's scary to think of what happens to people who don't question things, understand what's going on, or have an advocate with them. Good luck Mike.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I have a childhood friend who is a retired surgeon. He doesn't know it yet but he is on my list of folks who have access to my medical records. If anything happens to me I want him to oversee my care - or make sure no one prolongs my misery.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Mike, sorry to hear about your experience. DD was born in Fairfax hospital, but that was 26 years and 3 or 4 owners ago. I've heard some decent things about Leesburg Inova. Can you move there? Or are you in Kaiser or something that forces you to Fairfax? Most of my recent experiences (not for me, for in-laws) was in Arlington Hospital, which still seems to be fairly well run. If you have to go back to Fairfax, I'd try to take someone with me who could be an advocate for my needs. It's hard to chase people down when you're hooked to IVs and wearing a gown that leaves you flapping in the breeze. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Feel free to tell us Canucks how bad our health care system is.