Join Early Retirement Today

My mother has uterine cancer
Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mother has uterine cancer

This was confirmed by a D and C she recently had. Her OB-GYN and my favorite go-to medical site, the Mayo Clinic, give us every reason to be optimistic about a full recovery.

This, naturally, depends on how early it was caught and if it's spread. Tomorrow we meet with the surgeon who will be performing a hysterectomy on her.

I know nobody can predict the eventual outcome. I'm wondering more about what to expect with this surgery. Mom is 81 and otherwise in good health. I've seen her go through breast cancer (10+ years ago) and hip replacement (5+ years ago) and she recovered from both very quickly. She's a very positive person and is handling this as well as can be expected given the circumstances.

Here are my questions. What should we expect as far as recovery from the hysterectomy? How long do women her age typically have to stay in the hospital? Mom hates the hospital (who doesn't) and I'd like to get her home ASAP. Since I'm retired and live nearby, I can be available to help her during the recovery.

Thanks everyone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your Mom . Hopefully the Hysterectomy will take care of it . Most people are only in the hospital for a day or two as long as there are no complications . She will probably be sore and weak for a few weeks .I have taken care of my Mom through several large surgeries when she was in her eighties and nineties and was amazed at how fast she snapped back . I hope your Mom does great !

Old 05-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your bad news re: Mom. I hope the disease turns out to be localized at surgery. Depending on 1,000,001 factors she could be home in under a week but it's best to take it one day at a time.

Best wishes for her complete recovery.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for your replies Moemg and Rich in Tampa.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Purron, I hope all goes well and your mother feels 100 percent better after her surgery.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Purron, medical advice is outside my area of expertise, so all I can offer is {{{{ hugs }}}} and sincere sympathy. I am hoping for the best.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Purron, medical advice is outside my area of expertise, so all I can offer is {{{{ hugs }}}} and sincere sympathy. I am hoping for the best.
Hugs work baby.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Purron, I hope all goes well and your mother feels 100 percent better after her surgery.
You da best. Thanks for your good wishes.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Purron,
Very sorry to hear the news, but hoping for all the best for mum (and you).

samclem
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Purron, sorry to hear the bad news about your mom. I wish her the best possible outcome.

My aunt was diagnosed with uterine cancer in her 70s. She underwent an hysterectomy and has been cancer-free for 6-7 years now. She recovered amazingly quickly IIRC, just a few days in the hospital, and then a few weeks of rest at home.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Oh...I'm sorry to hear this.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 31 years old....23 years ago. Certainly there are differences because of improved surgery techniques now and accounting for her age.

I remember the difficulties I had....getting out of bed, going to the bathroom and bathing. Weakness is a major issue as well.

I wish the best for your mom...and you.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #12

Purron, I hope all goes well and that your mother has as much success with her surgery as my sister had. (She had a hysterectomy for cancer about 5 years ago and it has not returned).
Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the best to your mom and all family.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #14

As Rich mentioned, there are many risk factors to take into consideration but it would be very useful to know first of all if the hysterectomy will be done laparoscopically or not. Feel free to PM me. Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #15

Purron, Wishing for the best possible outcome for your Mom. I lost my Mom to ovarian cancer back in the 1960s, but it went undetected for a long time and certainly medical science back then pales in comparison to current care.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #16

Sorry to read this, Purron. I hope her recovery goes well. Sounds like she's been through plenty so far and knows how recovery goes. It isn't easy when they are in their 80's. My Dad (broken hip last November) keeps plugging along. As long as he sees progress he knows he's going in the right direction and he stays positive and motivated.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Purron,
Healing thoughts and prayers to you and your mom....
My mother had a hysterectomy when she was in her 80's for a prolapsed uterus. She was in the hospital for a couple of days, and bounced right back from the surgery - and enjoyed her life fully until she passed away just short of 90 years.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
As Rich mentioned, there are many risk factors to take into consideration but it would be very useful to know first of all if the hysterectomy will be done laparoscopically or not. Feel free to PM me. Take care.
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

OB, the surgery will be done laparoscopically. The doctor expects a quick recovery and just an overnight stay in the hospital. Surgery should take place in 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #19

Purron, thank you for the update. I'm sorry to hear this and I hope all goes well.

Don't forget to take care of yourself as well.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Purron, best wishes for a quick and complete recovery for your mom. I have a feeling she couldn't have anyone better than you at her side. I hope you will try to schedule sleep and exercise time for yourself, too.