Join Early Retirement Today

My poor little footsies!
Old 05-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

My poor little footsies!

52 years without any foot problems. Then less than a year after ER, I DH was kind enough to point out that I have bunions! I honestly hadn't noticed. I am extremely upset because I have never worn high heels or narrow/too small/pointy toed shoes. It seems to be a hereditary thing (not the actual bunion, but the pronation or turning inward of the foot which can lead to bunions). I could care less about how it looks (well, maybe that's not entirely true) but I am concerned that it will eventually become painful and hard to walk (walking is both a fitness and spiritual activity for me) and require expensive/painful/disabling surgery.

Bunion surgery can be about $18K, according to a friend who recently had it done. Months of not walking. No guaranteed results.

I now have a high deductible insurance policy (10K). I could consider switching to a lower one, but as other threads have pointed out, if they ever found out I had knowledge of this condition and the future need for surgery, I'd be screwed. So I've not yet been to a doctor.

Also, I think my arches may have collasped some and that the padding on my feet has thinned out. No longer comfortable to stand on hard floors barefoot. Of course I haven't lost fat anywhere else (), just the bottoms of my feet!

As anyone had (or have) bunions? Surgery? Podiatrist vs. orthopedic surgeon?
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If they don't hurt, or require only a different style shoe, you could be good for another 10,000 miles on those feet. I wouldn't go near bunion surgery with a 10 foot pole if they aren't causing problems.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I have worked with both Orthopedic and Podiatrists who do the surgery .I also have bunions and have seen bunion surgery done many times .If they aren't painful don't have the surgery unless your toes are starting to cross over .Buy comfortable shoes and Dr.scholl's foot pads for the arches .As to who I would go to to have it done .I 'd chose a foot surgeon .They are usually either a Podiatrist or a orthopedic who did a fellowship in feet and ankles .If by any chance you are in Cleveland ,I know a great foot surgeon there.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my youngest nephew couldn't pronounce my name properly as a babe and so he used to call me uncle onion. well, now uncle onion has a bunion.

it's on my right foot and acts up mainly after about 3 to 4 miles of walking so i've reduced my 5 mile beach walks. i do like walking though so sometimes when i bike to the beach i first change out the pedals and wear sneakers so i walk the bike for a few miles and then get back on the bike when my bunion starts to act up.

in the few years i've been dealing with it, it seems only to have changed the angle of my big toe very slightly, perhaps because it is more on top of my foot than on the side.

bunions aren't necessarily from bad shoes (mine is basically just more arthritis). i've lived by the motto "always buy the best bed and the best shoes because if you are not in one you are in the other." i've studied the surgery option and agree with doc: i would avoid bunion surgery unless it was absolutely the last option.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

orthopedic inserts from the podiatrist to keep the foot in line and give you the support you need in the right place. $400-$500 , a small price! They stabilize the foot from "rolling."
kitty_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Feet hurt
Old 05-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #6

Feet hurt

Others here have posted, but I read that in addition to your bunions, it hurts you to walk barefoot. Get a referral to a podiatrist. You're probably looking at orthotics.

They'll solve your achey feet.

But the flip side is that you're limited to the types of shoes you can wear. I have them and wear them -- just don't like how they limit my choices in footwear.

-- Rita
Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #7

DW has the surgery a few years ago. If there is any way to AVOID it do it. It was painful and took twice as long to recover. Her Surgeon was one of the best too.

Personally, a few years ago I went to a Podiatrist for some very painful feet. Got so bad I could not even walk very far. Two appointments, 3-5 minute examinations by two doctors in the office and they wanted to schedule me for Surgery or I could purchase the inserts for about $1,000. Got a second opinion from a NAVY DOCTOR who said before doing the surgery take this exercise chart for your feet and do the exercise for at least two weeks and get yourself some "good" shoes. Did the exercises, purchased 2 pair of SAS (expensive but no where near the cost of inserts) Shoes (one pair for inside the house and one pair for outside) after about 10 days pain subsided and now about 8 years later I have no problems walking up to 7 miles a day.

I too have very large bunions, wider and "good" shoes is my solution to that problem. With all of the walking I do it seems to work just fine.

Good luck but I would avoid the "knife" at any cost.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Dr.Scholl's has a generic orthotic that one of my RN friends swears is as good as her made to order orthotics and a whole lot cheaper.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom had surgery many many years ago... had to have teflon joints inserted they had to cut so much out... loves them.... did not have much pain.... but the doctor that operated on her did tell her that most doctors do not do it right and that is why so many people have long term pain...

Now, two of my sisters have had it done... one just recently... she was saying that one of her bones is no longer connected (happened before the surgery) and she can not bend her tow downward... but she is much happier that she had it done than before....

Just as a point of info... all had their tow almost going 90 degrees toward the little tow.... not good to start with...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

My dad had very bad bunions on both feet -- he was orphaned at 6 and the ill-fitting, hand-me-down shoes he was given to wear made a mess of his feet.

Finally had the operation on both feet and was delighted with the results.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #11

For those of you looking for all those accessories for foot problems, I got a catalog from FootSmart :: Shoes, Socks, Slippers, Support Hose, Foot Care, Orthopedic & Comfort Products

Nice selection of comfortable shoes, inserts, all kinds of things for all sorts of foot problems.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When I ran 70-80 miles a week I had a bunion pain exacerabted by structural problems from Morton's toes.

Orthotics and a gait analysis took care of it, and 20 years later, no problems.........

Bunion surgery is a LAST RESORT..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

"For those of you who wear tennis shoes, or the occasional python boot..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote