Join Early Retirement Today

Naps
Old 08-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Naps

I would like to start getting up early, but continue to go to bed late. This will not work unless I can learn to nap, and so far I have had zero luck learning how.

Are there techniques? I fall to sleep easily anytime after 10pm, but can't seem to during the day, even in a darkened room. No matter how tired I am I just get wired rather than sleepy.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have turkey for lunch. Or a nooner. But never both at the same time.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are there techniques? I fall to sleep easily anytime after 10pm, but can't seem to during the day, even in a darkened room. No matter how tired I am I just get wired rather than sleepy.
Most nappers report the best results by engaging in sex just before the nap.

I guess it'd also work if you set an alarm for 30-40 minutes, put on an eye mask, and meditated quietly until the alarm went off.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #4

Napping is practicing for death. If it doesn't come naturally, don't force it

Some suggestions: No coffee; Put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together; Try ~30 minutes after finishing lunch by sitting in a comfy chair and thinking about something; Turn on the TV to something benign. It's best to be moving around doing things, then feeling a bit tired, and then sitting down, rather than trying to "force" yourself to be sleepy when you aren't.

If you burn the candle at both ends long enough, it should happen anyway, just recognize the moment and do it.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #5

Have a couple of kids age 2 and under running around you all day. And make sure they cry periodically throughout the night on the day before you want to nap. Works for DW!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
so far I have had zero luck learning how.
Have you tried watching Opera? ZZZZZZZZZ

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Have a couple of kids age 2 and under running around you all day. And make sure they cry periodically throughout the night on the day before you want to nap.
That's the inevitable downside to the sex-before-nap strategy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Wiki's How To Nap
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wiki's How To Nap

Here's only one set of results from a Google search: How to Nap - wikiHow

Personally, compared to Wiki's 5 steps, I like the forum's own:

1. Have sex (or substitute vigorous exercise).

2. Have a turkey dinner. (I wonder if pasta would work, too.)

3. Listen to some relaxing music (like instrumental new-age or soothing classical as long as it doesn't annoy or excite you).

4. Read a boring book.

5. Meditate or just relax. I heard of an exercise where you try to relax every part of your body--top to bottom or bottom to top--but I've never tried it.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #9

I usually take an afternoon siesta just about everyday around 1pm.

My technique? I sit down in the lazy-boy, kick it back, and within minutes I'm off in la-la land. It doesn't matter if I'm tired or wide awake....whether I'm pumped full of caffeine or not....doesn't matter if it's quiet or noisy, bright or dark. When that lazy-boy tips back....this lazy-boy zonks out!

I'm kinda like that one doll my sister had when she was a kid......you tip the doll backwards, and the eyelids slam shut!

Good luck on your journey to the Land of Nap!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #10

Go back to work! At 1:00pm every afternoon, I am ready for a nap...unfortunately, I sit in the middle of the room in a cubicle farm....too much traffic going by to take a few zzzz's.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ha,

Start by getting up REALLY early. I get up at 05:30 and am fading by noon. I go out to my car, recline the seat and take a few Z's. (That's 'zeds' in Canadian.)
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #12

Go through (peri)menopause where you CAN'T sleep at all at night. Then have said lack of sleep catch up around 1:30-2pm somewhere between the carbohydrate crash after lunch and a boring mega corp meeting with some bozo talking about "reaching out to so and so" and "great call outs".

The pharmaceutical companies should engineer and market a pill derived from the chemicals that keep 40-50-ish year old women up all night long. This would make a killing with the truck driver and 3rd shift worker market.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

It's not so much being up all night as it is waking at 2:30 or 3 AM with your brain buzzing. Then I know that I'll be napping by noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat View Post
The pharmaceutical companies should engineer and market a pill derived from the chemicals that keep 40-50-ish year old women up all night long.
I thought that was Navy coffee... the kind that sits on the warming plate all day, where you can smell the caffeine oozing out of your pores five minutes after you drink your fifth cup!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I've perfected napping to an art form, if I do say so.

My advice: don't worry about napping. Just lie down without an agenda. A 20 minute daydream is pretty nice, too. If you sleep, perchance to dream, so much the better, but don't make that the goal, or you'll sabotage your effort.

After a week or two of daydream breaks, I bet you'll find yourself dozing here and there. If not, you've built a pretty nice slow-down into your routine.

DW gets frustrated with me because I can sit in my favorite easy chair with the news on, and catch a 10 minute nap before dinner or pretty much any other time. Just lucky I guess. We stay up til midnight most nights.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Naping is a talent like dancing or cooking and can't be taught you have to be born with the ability to be a napper .Me,I am an excellent naper but a clutsy dancer so appreciate your talents .
Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Go back to work! At 1:00pm every afternoon, I am ready for a nap...unfortunately, I sit in the middle of the room in a cubicle farm....too much traffic going by to take a few zzzz's.

LOL>>> it is usually 2 PM for me... and I do it anyhow (but try not to)... they have PICTURES!!! And it is a running joke with the guys yelling 'wake up'... even if I am not napping...

Glad that when my boss was in the next cube he knew that I was good and didn't fire me... then again.. it usually was only a minute or two that it happened....
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #17

This is sooo easy, 1) go back to work 2) eat a nice lunch 3) darkened conference room with..... Powerpoint presentation.
Works so well that loud announcements are made before the lights come back on.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #18

I got in a little "practicing for death" after lunch today. About an hour's worth.

Any luck yet, Ha? Do one of us need to come over and bonk ya on the head with a comic mallet to put you out like a light?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #19

Reminds me of a school trip many years ago to the Toronto Planeterium.

After a few minutes in the dark watching the show in our reclining seats Mr. Zipper fell asleep.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all your great suggestions. Let's see if I have it now-I stay up really late, get up really early, go back to work, eat a big pasta lunch, go into a dark meeting and make love while someone makes Powerpoint presentations?

I never expected that napping would be so much fun!

Ha