Join Early Retirement Today

Nasal Polyps - Has anybody tried the new stents?
Old 07-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nasal Polyps - Has anybody tried the new stents?

I am a chronic sufferer from nasal polyps. They completely eliminate my ability to taste and smell.

I've had 2 sinus surgeries and they helped for very short periods of time.

There is a newer (about 4 years now) implantable stent that is supposed to deliver a steroid after surgery to that area to prevent the return of the polyps.

Has anybody here had this procedure done, and if you had chronic polyps, how long were the stents effective?
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi gindie, I joined to be able to respond to you.
I had surgery for nasal polyps in October of 2017. I also had a severely deviated septum and several old breaks in my nose. The polyps were removed and my nose was rebroken to straighten it.
Sounds horrible, but it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. I have been using Bundosine, which is a steroid, in a nasal wash twice a day since then. Just had a check up with my doctor on Tuesday and he says everything is healed well and no signs of regrowth. Doctor says I’ll probably be on steroids in the nasal wash forever-or until I want the polyps to come back.
I haven’t heard of stents that deliver the steroids. It sounds interesting tho.... do you happen to know the name of the stents?
Oh Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Lynda View Post
Hi gindie, I joined to be able to respond to you.
I haven’t heard of stents that deliver the steroids. It sounds interesting tho.... do you happen to know the name of the stents?
I feel honored you joined because of my post. I guarantee if you stay around you will learn a lot.

I, too, tried the steroid-in-the-wash technique, but it didn't stop them from coming back.

The name I've seen most often for the stents is PROPEL. I've seen a video on it. They insert an applicator in the sinus and push the stent out the back end. When it exits the applicator, it springs open to fill the sinus area for maximum coverage.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

I've been reading here for a long time. You are right~I have learned a lot! I will ask my doctor about the PROPEL. It would be much easier when we are traveling. Have they offered it to you?
Oh Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

I guess I left out some important information.

The PROPEL is inserted by the ENT at the end of a surgery. The stents are absorbed after about a month.

I was wondering typically how long the polyps stayed away after that time.

I am thinking about seeing my ENT towards the end of the year for another surgery.