Join Early Retirement Today

need advice on dental work
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

need advice on dental work

wife has two teeth (#4, #5) going bad, had both root canal done. one dentist recommends extracting #5 and doing 3-crown bridge (#3, #4, #5), total cost=$2400. #3 is a good tooth but i guess it needs a crown for support.

Went to another dentist, he recommends dental implement ($2300 each.) But to save money, we could do implement on #5 and redo the crown on #4. (#4 already has a metal/porcelain crown and I think the previous dentist just drilled thru it to do the root canal)

we have never had to do any serious dental like this, can anyone shed some lights on this? thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the decision might come down to how saveable the crown is.

In my own situation, the root for for my crown was nearly gone so even with a crown, that would come loose after a few years requiring re-cementing.

Finally, after a toothache from hell at that spot and talking to my dentist he suggested I have the roots pulled. I decided to go for it and had the roots pulled and went with an implant. The proceedure (done in stages) took about a year from the beginning to end. (Bone grafting, to wearing a temporary clear braces -- I forget the real name, to installing the titanium implant root, to finally the crown on the new root).

IMO, getting an implant takes a lot of patience is isn't for the faint of heart. Each situation is different, but for me, the worse part was having that temporary braces and cleaning it for months.

It's great to be able to chew (an apple, for example) and not have to worry about a crown coming loose.

Yet, if there's enough root left, a crown may still be a good option.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a bad tooth and tried a root canal and crown, but it keep hurting off and on for 2 years. I went in a had it extracted and got a bridge. Compared to the other problems, a bridge is great. I didn't consider an implant, because I was tired of pain inside my gums. The bridge is great and they can show you how to clean under it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

Do the implant and the crown. Avoid extractions and bridges. I have two implants and they never give me any worries at all.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

You mention #4 going bad, yet the choice of making a bridge would have #4 as an abutment. How bad is it? If it fails and you have a 3 unit bridge, the entire bridge has to be removed. So what does "going bad" mean to you, re: tooth #4 ?
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

A retainer . That's what I was talking about but the term didn't pop in my head. I found having to deal with the constant cleaning the worse part of the get an implant process.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Implant and crown is how I would go. Bridges seem to always need to cut away on the good teeth that the bridge connects to.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I would do implants if it were me...
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'd urge you to consider the implant, if it is at all possible. I had an implant done last year, and it feels more natural and functional than any of my real teeth ever did.

Plus it takes so long to get it done, that you have time to save the money during the process. I paid as the work was done:

$450 for the tooth removal, prep, and bone graft in Dec 2012
$1800 for the implant surgery itself in March 2013, and
$1200 for the crown in September 2013.

So, even though the total was $3450, having it spread out like that really softens the blow.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I vote for 2 implants if your budget can take it. Earlier this year I developed problems under a tooth holding up a bridge. It had been root-canalled already and the dentist said they could try doing another root canal but that has a pretty low success rate. I asked about just replacing it with an implant. He agreed with that.

Next consultation was with the DDS/MD who did implants for DH and for me previously. We've never gone anywhere else- we just get a really good feeling that this guy is good, and his previous work has held up well. I was hoping that one implant would do it, with a new bridge covering the same space. He advised against it. His reasoning was that you should not bridge from a natural tooth to an implant. The natural tooth moves somewhat as you chew and an implant will not, and that causes stress on the implant. So, I ended up with 2 implants side-by-side, which were placed in February. Definitely expensive and a long-term process, but I'm very happy with the decision.

In your wife's case, you may want to get a second opinion on redoing the crown on #4 if it's already been root-canalled. What are the chances it will solve the problem? She may be better off just getting both replaced with implants.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

I have a Maryland bridge, but it only replaced one tooth in the front.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would go the implant.... but also be ready to pay more... maybe a lot more...

When all is said and done, it will have cost me close to $12K for two implants for my DW... pull teeth... wait to heal... check and find out that there is not enough bone... do bone graft... wait to heal... go to get implants and find that the bone graft did not 'take' and do it again... still waiting and healing...

But... had a BIL have a few and my mom has one... they say they are like real teeth... and BIL had a lot of bridges so he knows which is better...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had (4) implant installed at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry. Excellent work, latest equipment and technology, 1/3 the cost.
deadhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #14

it's painful just to read this thread

good luck!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
it's painful just to read this thread

good luck!
Yes it is. I realize teeth going bad can be an unavoidable consequence of aging, but having witnessed what my MIL went through several years ago having all of her remaining teeth pulled for dentures I've become a pretty committed flosser/brusher. In her case the deterioration was attributed to long ago chemotherapy. Good luck with your decision!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhorse View Post
I had (4) implant installed at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry. Excellent work, latest equipment and technology, 1/3 the cost.
+ 1
On dental colleges, you get great care at a much lower cost. A good friend saved thousands, was part of his board exam. Almost 20 years later she sees him at his practice, gets a great discount.

I've never had bridges, DF and DB did both had ongoing issues with them. Best wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I had an implant about 5 years ago. It took over a year to complete the procedure, because I needed a sinus lift (additional bone installed for a foundation). I've had zero problems and never had any pain during any of the procedures. Well worth the trouble.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks for all the info. i think we need to do some more research and/or maybe shop around more.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I had an implant about 5 years ago. It took over a year to complete the procedure, because I needed a sinus lift (additional bone installed for a foundation). I've had zero problems and never had any pain during any of the procedures. Well worth the trouble.

In my case I needed bone grafts both times but they were done at the same time the implants were placed. And I LOVED the general anaesthetic. He gave me a prescription for 25 Hydrocodone pills-refillable! All I needed was a couple of Tylenol. I thought wistfully of the potential street value of the Hydrocodone as I tore the prescription up and discarded it.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote