Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Walk with the wife (and dog) stop and chat. Then at another time walk for fitness on your own, my wife never goes at my pace, my dog is always wanting to water someone's lawn. Now I just go out twice, alone it's sometimes early, late or off the beaten path to avoid the every friendly neighbours.

"True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the
body; the two are united." - Alexander von Humboldt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ours is the opposite. I don't like to stroll, and my husband does, meaning he talks to anyone who is out in their yard, he picks up recycling cans, etc. We solved our issue by usually walking at different times. We walk together on Sundays and he keeps up with me then.

I have 2-3 houses targeted, where I know talkers live, and I avoid those blocks. Unfortunately, these talkers are also board members where I work, so in essence they are my bosses. If I see them, I have to talk. Therefore, I avoid their blocks.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree that some people will natter on forever about topics of interest only to themselves, and this is a problem best solved by avoiding them, or making lots of "I'm not interested, and have other important things on my mind" body language.

It seems like the issue is that your wife is that sparkling jewel, a patient, interested listener - while you have other priorities. Yet you don't want to give up walking with your wife, which is understandable - since she is such a good listener. Have you asked her to help you work out a compromise?

To some extent, I wish I had your problem. I've always been a walker. When we first moved here, I stopped to talk with all the neighbors who happened to be outside. I learned all sorts of useful and/or amusing things, because I was willing to take the wheat with the chaff. Now I can walk for four miles straight and see almost no English-speaking people outdoors - and those folks are working hard and not in a position to chat, even if I spoke their language!

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Get a treadmill, problem solved.
Good idea!

Or, join a gym with an indoor track for walking. Problem solved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #25

When Ms G go out for a neighborhood walk, we are lucky that the neighbors stop. Otherwise the dust from the dirt path road would choke us for the next 1/2 mile. Most of the vehicles are Border Patrol.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #26

Well, I guess I am rude too. I walk for an hour every day in our 55 and older community. I keep a fairly brisk pace so its obvious to anyone seeing me that I am not just taking a casual stroll. I wave and/or say "hi" and just keep moving. I've never had anyone try to stop me to chat. In the evenings, after dinner, I do take a leisurely stroll with my wife. If she wants to stop and chat during these that is fine with me, 'cause I've already gotten my exercise in.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Being part of the neighborhood it's natural to stop and chat. To avoid the problem, the simplest way is to choose another route. Or you could try power walking and when people want to talk, invite them to keep up with you.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not sure this is negatively impacts your fitness. From what I've read, interval training offers the most cardiac benefits and calorie burning. Couldn't you be kind of moving/walking/jogging in place during the talking and then step it up until you slow down for the next conversation?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Being part of the neighborhood it's natural to stop and chat. To avoid the problem, the simplest way is to choose another route. Or you could try power walking and when people want to talk, invite them to keep up with you.
We think alike.
I was thinking that perhaps you could go solo and/or with the dog at a faster pace, and make a circular route to "catch up" with your wife when she is done chatting.
When I used to xcountry ski, I had trouble keeping up (wrists issues) especially on uphills. So I would tell the faster folks in the group to go ahread at their pace, and just double back and/or meet me at a given trail intersection point for the return trip. Everyone was happy.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #30

Can you and your wife walk at different times during the day ? Or you can do 2 walks, one alone at your pace, and another walk with your wife and dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Late in the day I walk miles in our neighborhood. My wife and dog go with me. The problem is this. Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #31

Bicycle for your exercise, then tag along with wife and dog if you feel sociable?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #32

You need to look like you are power walking for exercise rather than just strolling around the neighborhood. When you see the talkative neighbors step up your pace and place the first two fingers of your right hand on your left wrist like you are checking your pulse. As you pass by smile and say hello but sound like you are a little short of breath from the pace. Image is everything.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Tell your wife that you want to walk at dawn to get your walk done early. Probably not too many neighbors out at that time.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig
Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk. I keep walking but my wife said I am rude....
I think it depends on how you "keep walking". If you simply ignore the person speaking to you and walk away from them, then I would agree with your wife, that is rude. But if you acknowledge them and say something along the lines of "sorry, can't stop",' that doesn't seem at all rude IMO.

However, your wife's opinion of your behaviour is much more important than mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig
I could care less what others think about me.
I expect you really mean "I couldn't care less"?