Join Early Retirement Today

Need feedback on this
Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need feedback on this

Late in the day I walk miles in our neighborhood. My wife and dog go with me. The problem is this. Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk. I keep walking but my wife said I am rude. She stops and chats. I say I cannot get exercise if I stop every 1/2 mile and talk. Anybody here ever dealt with this annoying problem. Today I left my wife while she stopped and talked. The older lady never shuts up and I knew if I stopped I would never get the walk in. When she got home she told me again I was rude. I told her if I wanted to visit I would go to their house. I told her the people that stop me are rude. I could care less what others think about me. When I start doing something I like to finish. I will not walk in this neighborhood again unless its dark. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Get a treadmill, problem solved.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Administrator

Keep the dog, get rid of the wife.

Change your route, or drive to another neighborhood to do your walking for exercise.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

get rid of the wife, are you kidding me
I will just wear a headset and pretend I do not hear anyone.
I think now I should have not asked such a silly question. I will just eat donuts and stay home
Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I will just wear a headset and pretend I do not hear anyone.
Now you're thinking
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I walk often twice a day. I like to stop and chat, but I know some folks have their "game face" on and do not want to stop and chat. So I would not stop you ... just a quick hello or wave is all that is needed.

In your case, I would train your dog to jump up on people and bark. My dog will "speak" on command, so I can make folks not want to be around us on command.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Have a t-shirt made with this on the front........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail[5].jpg (8.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I walk often twice a day. I like to stop and chat, but I know some folks have their "game face" on and do not want to stop and chat. So I would not stop you ... just a quick hello or wave is all that is needed.

In your case, I would train your dog to jump up on people and bark. My dog will "speak" on command, so I can make folks not want to be around us on command.
My dog does jump up on people but she is so dang cute they love it
I will just eat lots of garlic from now on just before I walk.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Have a t-shirt made with this on the front........
Now thats a great idea. I will copy and paste that to my old shirt
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It's kinda like when you plop yourself in front of the TV set to watch your favorite game on TV then you get bombarded with questions and chit chat
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
It's kinda like when you plop yourself in front of the TV set to watch your favorite game on TV then you get bombarded with questions and chit chat
That what I am talking about
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
How about just starting to watch a movie you rented for 24 hours and your buddy calls and goes over every golf shot he hit today. When he asks what you are doing you tell him watching a movie and he still goes over all 18 holes
and my wife thinks I am rude. I am changing my name to RickyRude
Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Walk separately and neighbors will soon understand that your wife stops to talk and you don't. If you want to walk with DW, you can do it in a different neighborhood.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
The problem is this. Many of my neighbors want to stop us and talk. I keep walking but my wife said I am rude.
Maybe you could walk a different route where the homeowners already know that you're rude and won't stop to talk to you?

Or maybe you could drive to a new neighborhood for a new walking route.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
Administrator

Hi RickyRude Oldtrig. Some good suggestions here, especially bbbamI and Alan's. That's a nice shirt. What you're missing is the game face. When approaching someone, before they have a chance to talk, stretch out your arm and give a short wave, say Hi, can't stop, gotta keep going, Bye now" and make a face as if you were exercising.

Sounds like you're going to have to walk alone, or find a new path. I'd watch out with the garlic thing. It might help keep people away while you walk, but won't stop when you get back home again. Might help with the tv watching, but it'll also keep the grandkids away, and that's not good.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are not wanting to be social, why put yourself in the situation where you decide to snub people to get an uninterrupted walk?
Find a park trail, YMCA, treadmill or just a different neighborhood.
I would certainly agree with you if people were coming over and knocking on your door. But you are the one putting yourself in this situation.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you sure you are not my husband?! Same problem, here. DH will wave and say hi, then walk on. Sometimes I get stuck "visiting" with neighbors...well, sometimes it's stuck, other times it's a nice little visit. When I catch up to DH, he's usually miffed that I stopped. I have learned to stop for a moment or two, then explain that if I don't hurry on, I'll never catch up to DH. The lady across the street seems to always catch us just as we begin our walk. I've learned to get away from her by saying that the dog has to go and he can't lift a leg until we get to the common area...and that's true!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Maybe your wife is right -- you are just a rude old curmudgeon. Do your penance - talk to the neighbors and extend your walk.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
If you are not wanting to be social, why put yourself in the situation where you decide to snub people to get an uninterrupted walk?
Find a park trail, YMCA, treadmill or just a different neighborhood.
I would certainly agree with you if people were coming over and knocking on your door. But you are the one putting yourself in this situation.
Please explain to me how I am not wanting to be social? I am walking for my health not visiting. Maybe I should start jogging. I never have any of these people over to my home. Most would drive me nuts listening to all the gossip anyway. 9 out of 10 times when we are stopped all they want is to know is about so and so. I have never once stopped anyone when they walk. I figure if they need me they will stop and ask. We have lived in this neighborhood for 40 years. I like to be left alone. I am not a rude person just like to be me and not be social. oldtrig
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ideally you can find a way to do both. I walk every day in my neighborhood and I don't think you should have to buy anything or drive anywhere to walk. But could you walk at a different time? Or if you're just starting your walk just say 'hi there, can we talk on my way back when I'm done exercising?' (don't say walk, some people don't see it as exercise). Odds are they won't be there when you come back. And if they are, why not be neighborly for a few minutes?

Sounds like you don't want to talk to them anyway, which could be seen as rude as your DW says. But it sounds like you don't see it that way, so what difference does it make?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote