Need help - hate gyms

As a female, typically, I find things like pullups near impossible (can't start them when you can't do one...), and push ups I need to do on my knees or my wrists fall apart, and then my knees hurt so .... yeah...Tricep dips same thing, forget it.

Small wrist and ankle weights aren't so much for strength building, as they are just for adding weight and therefore effort/exertion to your walks, which it sounds like you don't need.

Given your other limitations, wherein dexterity may be an issue, you might want to try a body bar? I have one I use - it's a nice 1.5" radius padded bar, available in many weights (start at 12 lbs, work up). I use it for a variety of exercises in place of gym machines. Bicep curls, overhead pushes, lat raises, triceps, etc. Also good for rows for back exercises, and for resting on my shoulders for some lunges and squats. I only do a quick circuit of 5-10 mins each day, alternating legs and arms, but it gives me a good way to get a little weight-awakening in addition to cardio from walking and running.

You really don't need to do much more strength than pushups and a good core workout. Pullups are good too if you're feeling really froggy.

If someone can't do pullups or chin-ups, they should still do a "pulling" exercise to balance the "pushing" that pushups provide to ensure muscle balance.

I don't think light weights while walking is a good idea. They're not heavy enough to build muscle, but they are heavy enough to alter your gait/stride.

Whatever you decide to do, start slow. But try to be consistent which is very hard to do. For instance, if you are going to do push-ups, you can start with as little as just one. Yep, just one. And with knees on the carpet, too. But have a goal to work your way up to say 5 in a month, 10 in two months, etc.

It takes a while for your body to react to your new regimen. Genes have to be expressed, proteins made, new blood vessels built, new nerve connections made. This doesn't happen overnight or even over a few weeks.

Last edited:
Do the ones that you strap on your wrists count? Right hand cut off in a significant injury. It was reattached but it's hard for me to hold things for a significant amount of time. But if wrist weights count, then I'm putting in an order for Dick's Sporting Goods Black Friday sale

I use to have two sets of strap-on weights made primarily to wear on the ankles and they did not work well, one was a harder plastic that chafed while the other was shot inside of a canvas-like velcro bag that conformed and worked better. It you are trying to keep the weight above the wrist this may work and you could possibly add a thin loop to extend down to the hand to keep it from sliding. Or if some weight below the wrist is ok then looking on Amzon it seems they make weighted gloves now (may be what you are looking at Dick's Sporting Goods) that would be more secure and would keep the weight at the end of the arm making it more effective from a fulcrum(?) stand point.

https://www.amazon.com/Empower-Weig...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GTRKNTG1PT6N7KMZ8F90

Saw some that were 4# that were not available at the moment, may be others out there.

Last edited:
I use hand weights/dumbbells at home for upper body workouts. And yeah - push ups. You can do a lot with hand weights/dumbbells and a small bench from Academy.

I also have a concept 2 rower.

Last edited:
Read a long time ago that using weights while you walk isn't beneficial. Don't remember why. Maybe something to do with your form while walking and doing the exercise correctly. I keep my walking separate and don't know that I'd want to lug weights for 5 or 6 miles. I do chair dips, forearm planks, dumbbell curls. I don't know why but pushups are hard for me to do but have no problem doing several different kinds of planks.

I think the issue with hand weights while walking was rotator cuff/shoulder injuries.

Maybe take up tennis?
I hate gyms too. The noise/echo and the swimming pool air. The only machine I liked was the elliptical. Treadmill makes me feel like I'm going to fall. Falling is a big concern for me and keeps me from trying lots of things, including dumb bells. I would drop them on my head. Resistance bands are better.
After surgery, I have no lymph nodes on my right arm and am supposed to not carry over
5-8 lbs. That I break with grocery shopping.

Dips off the couch, or if you are looking for equipment, I like my pilates machine (bought a few years ago off QVC during a sale).

Pros: Very good for shaping, arms, abdomen (legs which you don't need, etc.) and you can see a visible difference within a month, at 20 minutes a day, 3 - 4X a week. You can also get one at a good price and depending on special pricing, free shipping. They tend to be on sale in January. ( You need to read reviews, as the quality can vary).

Cons: They take up space. I leave my open, I would never open and shut it, so it remains open. You must use it or the money is wasted. If you want to return it, barring a defect, shipping costs would be expensive.

For me another con is that my cat loves it, and has scratched the cushion. Also, (mine is on the floor, you can buy a stand), when I get down on it, the cat believes that means she is entitled to all sorts of attention from me, and won't leave me alone, so I have to always keep an eye on where she is, as she will walk in the path of the back of the machine when I want to "rebound."

So, my indoor equipment is a treadmill (as I simply enjoy the walk) and the pilates machine. BTW, I do enjoy walking outdoors, but am short on time due to work, and that is a "luxury" for me.

Thank you everyone .... started weights yesterday (not while walking, certainly not in today's Turkey Trot) and 10 reps today. Will eventually get up to more than 3 lb + 2.5 lb

Sure, you can do plenty to get strong with just a few dumbbells and/or some body weight exercises at home, but a gym is more than just a place to get your reps in. It can be a whole realm of social activity! Mornings at my gym are social hours, with a regular group of retirees and SAHMs mingling among the machines. Some of them go out for coffee or a matinee during the day. I'm looking forward to retiring so I can spend more time with them instead of having to rush off to work.

Evenings at most gyms are much different. More crowded, more posturing and meat market action. I went in the evenings after work for years, but gradually began feeling out of place among the younger set with their tattoos, trendy workout wear, and extreme routines. Also, it was getting difficult to stop myself from saying things like, "You really shouldn't do those behind your neck, or you may regret it when you're older." Didn't want to be the self-righteous old lady doling out admonishments.

Good point O2B...people can work out at home or work out at a gym, but those who will be the most successful will choose the one that best fits their lifestyle and preferences.

I belonged to a gym for years, but discovered that I prefer working out at home, so I cancelled my membership and bought some weights and gym equipment.

... a gym is more than just a place to get your reps in. It can be a whole realm of social activity!

I occasionally encounter a perfect female body at my gym, which provides me with ample motivation to stay fit and trim although I am long past the age where perfect female bodies show any interest in me. :nonono: Anyway, these days I'm more interested in perfect female minds, which are even more difficult to find. :D

I love my gym it is the perfect mix of classes and machines . Plus I have met many nice women their who are now my friends . We meet weekly for lunch .I really enjoy the motivation that going to a gym gives me . I exercise at home but not nearly as long or as intense .

When I see something like that, I mention it to the floor manager/trainer on duty, who then quietly goes over and asks the person if they can show him or her a few things about this machine :)

BTW I am one of the older women in their trendy workout wear :LOL: There are two of us (she's 5 years younger than I am) who wear running shorts and sports bras b/c they keep the gym too warm (72 degrees is too darn warm when you're working out, IMHO)> If they'd keep the darn place at a reasonable workout temp, I'd put on more clothes. I don't know how the other women can stand it in their leggings and tops.

SAlso, it was getting difficult to stop myself from saying things like, "You really shouldn't do those behind your neck, or you may regret it when you're older." Didn't want to be the self-righteous old lady doling out admonishments.

I enjoy a 22 minute stretching video by a 66 year old former ballerina with the Royal Canadian ballet. She did a class on PBS for 12 years called Classical Stretch and each season is sold as a DVD set. Most recent, 11, is my favorite.

I really hate going into gym's so I've managed to increase my activity by speed walking 2.5 to 3 miles a day changing elevations (live at base of a mountain) leaving me breathless at the end. Whereas that's great for my bone density (at 1.1) and heart rate, it doesn't do much for my upper body, primarily arms. Can you suggest something that will help with firming up those upper arms?

push-ups!

I'm not a gym rat. And you will never see me posting here or any place else about the 'great workout' I just had at the gym.

I do belong to a gym for two reasons:

First, As I grow older I find that incorrect technique can easily cause injury when working out. One good injury can stop my workouts for a month a more which is not good. The machines at the gym keep me in the right positions and I don't get injured - sore muscles yes, but not the shoulder and back issues I had working out with dumb bells at home.

Second, the gym offers Yoga classes. I started to practice yoga since it seems to be helping me increase my flexibility, and it is good for the core strength. My monthly gym fee is less than the monthly fees I would pay to take the yoga classes at the studios in my area. The yoga teacher is dedicated and takes time to get around to all the students even the pathetic ones like me. And they don't do so called 'hot' yoga which most of the studios in my area seem to love. That's the yoga where I spend 60% of my time lying on the mat trying to survive the heat and then leave feeling awful.

I believe in the 20 minute rule in regard to gyms. The farther the gym is from home the less often members will use it. If the one way trip to get there is more than 20 minutes, most people will give up going. My gym is <5 minutes from home by car. 10 minutes if the weather is good and I ride my bike there.

Last edited:
BTW I am one of the older women in their trendy workout wear :LOL: There are two of us (she's 5 years younger than I am) who wear running shorts and sports bras b/c they keep the gym too warm (72 degrees is too darn warm when you're working out, IMHO)> If they'd keep the darn place at a reasonable workout temp, I'd put on more clothes. I don't know how the other women can stand it in their leggings and tops.

You realize that hundreds, perhaps thousands, of gyms this week will have their FIRED male members asking that the heat be turned up a few degree thanks to your comment. :D

You realize that hundreds, perhaps thousands, of gyms this week will have their FIRED male members asking that the heat be turned up a few degree thanks to your comment. :D

I'd be one of them but not for that reason. Even in summer I usually wear jeans and a long sleeved flannel shirt because they keep it too cold in there, 67 or 68 °.

But admittedly I do see other people sweating so I suppose it is too warm for them.

Back
Top Bottom