Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why You Should Check Your Heart Rate Variability | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote:
People are always looking for that one biomarker to rule them all, the number on a paper that absolutely determines your health, longevity, fitness level, sex appeal, happiness, and productivity. Throughout the years, it’s bounced around as researchers think they’ve found “IT” – from cholesterol to LDL to BMI to small dense LDL to CRP to blood pressure to pulse rate and back again – but we always come up wanting. The “one biomarker” never pans out because biology is complex and irreducible to a single number.

However, there is one biomarker showing promise as a broad indicator of overall health and fitness: heart rate variability (HRV), or the variation in the intervals between heart beats. If your heart beats like a metronome, with intervals of identical length between each pulse, you have low heart rate variability; this is “bad.” If your heart beats follow a more fractal pattern, with beat intervals of varying length, you have high heart rate variability; this is “good.”

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Silence was the stern reply | Dr. Malcolm Kendrick

Quote:
... here is the letter. It is typical of many hundreds that I receive from people suffering severe and significant statin related adverse effects. In virtually every case their doctor has dismissed the adverse effects as even existing.

When, rarely, their doctor has accepted they are having adverse effects they have NEVER, according to those who write to me, made any attempt to inform the authorities that their patient has suffered a statin related adverse effect. Medwatch in the US, the Yellow Card system in the UK…

Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Statins: The Good, the Bad, and the Unknown

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/...col&uac=2356AT

Quote:
The driver for his article was a recent experience in which he treated a patient's myalgia and arthralgia by discontinuing her statin. Dr Mandrola had no qualms about stopping the statin, citing a lack of data supporting a significant benefit for these drugs in primary prevention.

The commentary generated more than 600 responses from Medscape readers, a substantial majority of whom agreed with his viewpoint.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

We need your password to read the article.

Probably wouldn't hurt to include your SSN and your mother's maiden name. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We need your password to read the article.

Probably wouldn't hurt to include your SSN and your mother's maiden name. Thanks.
<chuckle> I didn't realize I was a member... who would have me?

Anyway, registration is quite simple -- not much more than name, password, zip code, a valid e-mail address, and your profession (I may have fudged on that, I don't remember).

In any event, the website is pretty benign.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

My cholesterol has been the same since I was a teenager, 200-220 with an occasional spike to 240.

There is a new test -- "Calcium Scoring", measures artery blockage. My result was zero (0), basically I have the "arterial age" of a 30-yr old . So by itself, cholesterol is not a disease. After 60 years it has caused no blockage, YMMV. My doctor is no longer recommending statins.

Also I've noticed an inverse relationship between cholesterol and vitamin D3. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_at_49 View Post

There is a new test -- "Calcium Scoring", measures artery blockage. My result was zero (0), basically I have the "arterial age" of a 30-yr old . So by itself, cholesterol is not a disease. After 60 years it has caused no blockage, YMMV. My doctor is no longer recommending statins.

Also I've noticed an inverse relationship between cholesterol and vitamin D3. Thoughts?

I've not heard of the Calcium Scoring test and will read up on it. Not heard about the vit D3 relationship too but my gynae put me on daily Vit D3 since 15 years ago. Been taking everyday - does not seem to improve my cholesterol numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
... but my gynae put me on daily Vit D3 since 15 years ago. ...
Why did she prescribe this? I was under the impression that the only Vitamin D the body can use is that made by itself from sunlight -- that Vit. D from (for instance) pill form is simply passed through..
Old 10-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #69

He prescribed this tog with daily calcium tablets after I had a hysterectomy. I believe it is good move as I was having a stressful working life which didn't give me many hours to cook, exercise and get outdoor life.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

The story about cholesterol the American Heart Association started saying saturated fat was bad and unsaturated fat was good this was done without any study only a gift of 1.7 million dollars from Proctor and Gamble this was exposed this year. The only study they quote was a study done by Dr. Keys who choose 9 country study and ignored other countries that proved the study was fraudulent.. Like the native Eskimos who eat nothing but saturated fat and are legendary for no heart problems or cancer.

A study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found that participants who consumed high-fat dairy products, such as whole milk, butter, and cheddar cheese, had about a 60 percent lower risk of developing adult-onset diabetes than those who opted for skim milk and fat-free yogurt.

I think it is not so much that the medical system has been telling us the lies, as that they were also deceived by the proclamations issued by the large manufacturing companies, defending their products.
Crisco started out as grease for machinery, when the proper petroleum-based grease was not available, due to the use of it during the war. So, they figured out how to hydrogenate vegetable oil into what we now call shortening, and they used that for mechanical grease.
After the war, there were whole plants set up to process the vegetable oil, so they tried using it for cooking, renamed it "Crisco", and told the world that it was much healthier than butter, since it was made from pure vegetable oil.

Just one example of where big business has influenced the medical profession to back up their story, and help sell the product. Some probably knew the truth; but since most modern doctors actually study very little about nutrition, most of them probably just followed along with popular opinion.

There is more and more doctors now speaking out about this scam.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
... where big business has influenced the medical profession to back up their story, and help sell the product.
And none bigger than the USDA, which is leading that charge.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #72

Anyone tried Red Yeast Rice tablets or Weider Red Mold Rice tablets? Someone recommended me to try as alternative to statins but from my internet research, Red Mold Rice supplement in form of tablets also have side effects. Any comments appreciated.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #73

"Any comments"?

Well, I think that looking for a magic bullet isn't the most likely route to success.
Adding things to one's diet is more attractive than removing some, but removing carbohydrates does have an effect.

That's my comment.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Just through out your statins there has been a scam on cholesterol for years and finally exposed this year.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...33760760481486
There is no diseased caused by high cholesterol that is a myth and natural cholesterol should be 220-270 if it is higher than that it means your body is making it to save your life from artery damage from free radicals
Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #75
Confused about dryer sheets

I am 62, have been taking red rice yeast for years, no red meat, no trans fats. No family history under 60 years old, blood pressure fine, non smoker, very little alcohol, not overweight, and very active. Chol. between 200 and 230.
Everyone I know that is my age or older is taking statins. They eat everything and are doing fine.
I just had a heart attack and had to have 3 stents. Now, I am taking statins.
At this point, I would say, listen to your Dr. and take your statins!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone tried Red Yeast Rice tablets or Weider Red Mold Rice tablets? Someone recommended me to try as alternative to statins but from my internet research, Red Mold Rice supplement in form of tablets also have side effects. Any comments appreciated.
I took Red Yeast Rice tablets for some years. Then decided to discontinue them after a discussion here and then with my doc. FWIW, I don't think they did a lot for my cholesterol readings.

If they have statin properties you would have to ask yourself why not take the actual statins? Are they as safe? They are probably cheaper but that's not a great reason to take them. You can buy Choleast on Amazon (along with a lot of other dubious and great stuff).

I do not know how much statin they represent as opposed to the actual FDA controlled drugs. I did find one paper that discussed how the preparation was done. Maybe there is some literature out there I do not know about.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many years ago I was at a doc's office. I asked about curing some problem when he wanted me to take choloesterol lowering stuff. He said nowadays there is a pill for everything. I said I want that one.

He doubled over laughing. Clearly I misunderstood. The concept was that there is a pill for every ailment, but no cure for anything.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

75% of people who have a heart attack are in the good zone for cholesterol. 25% have high cholesterol So high cholesterol is safer as far as heart attack
Most Heart Attack Patients' Cholesterol Levels Did Not Indicate Cardiac Risk -- ScienceDaily
Old 11-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To the OP:
You started this thread a month and a half ago, asking for general advice. You got quite a bit of feedback, along with a number of recommendations to do your own research and make some decisions. But you're still here with "someone recommended [some supplement]" and looking for more opinions instead of facts.

I have to seriously question whether you are genuinely interested in your health, or just aimlessly gathering input like the person who buys stocks based on a hot tip he heard in the barber shop.

Please don't be offended; I mean this as a constructive comment. You're certainly smart enough to look into these issues in a focused way, but it doesn't look as if you've put much effort into it.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I think Moscyn's question was a reasonable one. It can take some time to evaluate these things, particularly since test results are maybe once or twice a year.