Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just noticed your signature, frayne. Love it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
"In today's regulatory environment, it's virtually impossible to violate rules." - Bernie Madoff, October, 2007
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So how does one best approach this? I have progressive lenses, so I'm a little concerned regarding some people's experiences with those. I know that my optometrist's assistant is very detailed about getting just the right fit and measurement of my pupils.

Here's what I'm thinking -

1) Get an up-to-date prescription, exam, and order my frames/lenses as usual.

2) Ask for a separate prescription for reading, computer distance, and driving.

3) Order one or more of the separate glasses on-line.

4) If they seem good (I expect they will), take a chance on the progressive pair.

This might provide some advantages. For one, I'll have some backups. The separate functions could work better for some things than the progressives (esp computer distance).

The biggest savings could be, I usually find my frames are still fine at the time I need a prescription change, but my optometrist can't seem to just order lenses to fit my old frames. They say I have to give up the frames and have them sent out for fitting (can't frames be made in standard sizes?). So, even if the on-line progressives aren't great, I could use them while my old frames get re-fitted. That would probably save big bucks for me.

Or maybe for step one, just go to Costco for the prescriptions only, and try on-line steps from there? I've been tempted to get computer-distance glasses anyhow. My current progressives are close enough for me now, so I could get frames on-line and be ready if I do need to go to my optometrist (or Costco) and give them up for fitting with new progressive lenses when the time comes.

-ERD50
I'd say just go to Costco (or wherever) for the prescriptions only, and do the online steps from there. When you get your written prescription, make sure it includes the Pupil Distance (PD). This is needed when getting your glasses online, and from what I understand, your doc usually doesn't write the PD on your prescription, but will if you ask for it - that was my experience exactly.

Also, when I ordered from 39DollarGlasses.com, I saw that you could send in your existing frames if you wanted them refit with new lenses.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I saw a JC Penney ad today with thier new pricing says March $99 complete frame and lens and I think you could get no line bifocal for zero extra.
Worth a look.
Just for comparison, one can get complete frame & glasses at 39DollarGlasses.com for $40. Progressives cost about $80.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
Also, when I ordered from 39DollarGlasses.com, I saw that you could send in your existing frames if you wanted them refit with new lenses.
That's what I'm thinking as well. When I got my spare one at Walmart, I was surprised how long it took me to find that new frame which feels just about right. I have been wearing my current titanium frame for 15 years, and 3 set of glasses have been through it. I definitely don't want to ditch it just because the optometrist is not happy that I don't buy new frame from his/her.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I have used Zenni Optical for years. Most of the glasses are good! It is a great place for glasses, especially when you need bifocals and progressives. They provide these two types of lenses at incredibly cheap prices.
Stansean0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I'm going to give Costco a try. They seem to have a pretty good selection, and as usual, good prices.
I have vision insurance and it is cheaper to go to costco optical than a place covered by insurance. I've been very satisfied with the exam / glasses. The main difference with costco is that you don't get much selection in frames and they don't have some of the higher end designer frames.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #27

I learn something new on this site almost every day. DH got new glasses last month. Retail was about $1,000. After insurance discounts the glasses were still >$500. He will definitely check out Costco next time!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #28

I went back to Costco yesterday to get my new glasses adjusted as they were pinching my head and giving me a headache. I learned you have to be a member to purchase glasses ($55 per year) but not to get an exam. I didn't think you had to be a member to purchase glasses but you do.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote