Need stopwatch recommendation

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi- I want a stopwatch solely to track the amount of time I spend out of doors. I went to Amazon and read a few reviews, and I can't interpret them as I do not know the jargon. I have never been a coach, or a serious competitor once I left university. I would like one that I can start on leaving my building, pause when I enter Trader Joe or another indoor location, then start again when I go outside again, etc. I would stop it and take the total of the minutes spent outdoors and put it in Excel when i return back home. When of it I go out again, I'll just repeat.

I don't really need anything else. I have tried just checking my watch and making a note on entering and leaving a store but I can't be trusted to do this regularly, whereas I will use the stopwatch.

I want one, so a little extra money will not be a problem, and of course I have no need for 1/100ths of a second accuracy. Suggestions?

Ha

Lots of the electronic kitchen timers will count up as well as count down. You might find them to be more convenient than a stopwatch (big buttons, no crazy features: Hold button A while depressing button B twice" etc).

Lots of the electronic kitchen timers will count up as well as count down. You might find them to be more convenient than a stopwatch (big buttons, no crazy features: Hold button A while depressing button B twice" etc).
Great suggestion, thank you. I have one that will work fine, (just checked) though it is a little bulky and it can get greasy from sitting next to the range.

I'll check Bed B & B or Target, and see what I can get.

Ha

I don't know what kind of cell phone you have but some come with a stopwatch function.

thirding the suggestion for a smartphone app.

I have an casio solar chrono watch:

Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

It has the stopwatch, countdown timer and other alarms (that I really don't use). Sometimes, when I go shopping I do start up the stopwatch to see how long the trip took. Unfortunately, I pretty often forget that I don't just have a watch on and then don't realize the stopwatch was on until hours later.

thirding the suggestion for a smartphone app.

Just looked at my phone and it does just what you describe. I think my old "nonsmart" throwaway cell phone also had a timer and stopwatch function too.

A good runner's watch will have everything you need and more. Runners want a stopwatch to time their runs, but many (especially in the city) also want a pause function for when they're waiting for a traffic light to change, etc.

They are available for well under $20 and last for years on a battery.

Timex (their Ironman series watches are very popular), Casio, and others are the ones to look for.

Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, most running stores.

I have the dumbest of dumb phones, but I do have an Ipod which has free apps that claim to do this. So I will try this first. If it seems not worth the effort or I have difficulty, I'll check one of these runners' watches or the timer which usually will be easiest to read.

Thanks for all the help. One thing I don't want to get involved in is fishing in my pocket for reading glasses because I cannot read the output or the controls. :)

Ha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom