Join Early Retirement Today

Neighbor Falls off Small Cliff
Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Neighbor Falls off Small Cliff

I posted this picture a while ago:

which shows a woman unadvisedly climbing down this path holding a kid.

Yesterday, my 72-year-old neighbor fell from the top of this path, backwards onto the beach and broke several ribs and his pelvis.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Holy craps! Time for a guardrail?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Holy craps! Time for a guardrail?
The bank would soon be undercut and the guard rail would be gone anyway. See that driftwood log? Storms like to use them and much bogger ones as battering rams, and finish the job with big waves. I have seen storm tossed driftwood and waves take out a county road.

Ha
Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It is odd how dumb people can be about safety. If that woman looked at the photo she would probably be horrified at how much risk she was putting her toddler in. One slip and whammo!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It is odd how dumb people can be about safety. If that woman looked at the photo she would probably be horrified at how much risk she was putting her toddler in. One slip and whammo!
+1
Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading TAl's post the first thing I thought about was the fact that a 72 year old fell and hurt himself. Last week I fell off a step ladder when the bottom leg broke. Who's to blame for that? Me. What is a 75 year old doing on a ladder? When you get into your 70's you lose a sense of balance and can't react as fast. The ladder was old so I can't blame it on the ladder and I was leaning wrong on it in the first place. Warning to anyone out there. When you reach your 70's, stay the hell off ladders and away from dangers like TAl's post.

In talking to my sister this weekend in NC, after I told her of my stupid accident, she relayed to me that the brother of one her neighbors just died from a fall off a ladder while cleaning the gutters.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Yesterday, my 72-year-old neighbor fell from the top of this path, backwards onto the beach and broke several ribs and his pelvis.
That is a very bad fall for anyone, but for a senior the likelihood that it leads to other complications is high. Your neighbor will need lots of care and help.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
When you reach your 70's, stay the hell off ladders and away from dangers like TAl's post.
Not bad advice in general but I think the age where the 'stay off ladders' rule applies varies by individual.

At age 85 my dad climbed a ladder to hand paint his entire 1,200 square foot wood-siding house using a bucket and brush. Mom sat in a lawn chair with the cordless phone ready to dial 911 at any moment...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not bad advice in general but I think the age where the 'stay off ladders' rule applies varies by individual.

At age 85 my dad climbed a ladder to hand paint his entire 1,200 square foot wood-siding house using a bucket and brush. Mom sat in a lawn chair with the cordless phone ready to dial 911 at any moment...
Damn, pretty impressive. My first house was all cedar and I painted(stained) it once. Not hard, but time consuming. I did recruit one of my nephews to paint the gable end of the house. I figured he would heal faster from a fall.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm still on the corporate ladder, but no worries, I'm on the bottom rung...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have so-so balance at the age of 53. I've always been like that.

My rule about ladders is no more than 8 feet and NEVER ALONE. All it takes is one slip...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm still on the corporate ladder, but no worries, I'm on the bottom rung...
Take comfort in the fact you don't have far to fall.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have so-so balance at the age of 53. I've always been like that.

My rule about ladders is no more than 8 feet and NEVER ALONE. All it takes is one slip...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess the safest approach would have been for her to do the painting while he held the phone. You know he wouldn't call "the kids" for just a little painting...

I really hope that martial arts aids in maintaining balance and proprioception as we age. I can't afford to lose what little I had in the first place.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My proprioception has always been bad and is failing rapidly.
There's not a thing I can do about it.
I often ask for help at the store, and pay people to do yard work.
Hope I die before I need to go to assisted living.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not bad advice in general but I think the age where the 'stay off ladders' rule applies varies by individu..
I agree. Many of my ski buddies - including DH - are well into their seventies and they would not like hearing that they're too old for anything. As far as declining balance goes, there are a lot of yoga postures and exercises that can greatly enhance balance. A good teacher can gear them to the elderly. Please look into it before scoffing.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

No argument with the theme, but it brings up a beef I have. I believe in activity safety as much as anyone but I'm always amazed how aging boomers develop such a huge paranoia to anything requiring even a basic level balance/speed/skill. Oh sure, we swim, bike, run, golf, yoga...but show us something as simple as a skate board and it's "no way".

Like anything else you're not born with skill, you develop it over time, even if it's just walking a steep path or climbing a ladder. So many people my age cower at trying anything new, but are more than happy to booze/eat themselves to death on the couch watching professional athletes.

Yep, you're gonna look stupid and you're gonna feel spastic/chicken (I excel at these traits) but you gain tremendous confidence when ya develop a skill at an older age,......and ya get to have fun along the way
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

+1 to all on staying off ladders (and roofs).

A friend of mine fell off a ladder a few years ago and suffered a sever brain injury, nearly died and is now struggling with memory problems, was forced to leave his job because he could no longer perform with his impairment and his family is having financial difficulties as a result.

Another person I used to work with fell of a ladder and busted up his back, took a long time to recuperate and last I knew still needed a cane and walks with a limp.

Neither instance was particularly high (both less than 20' as I recall). Both of these made me decide to hire anything over 8' high out - it's not worth the risk.

Also, a couple years ago my 73 yo uncle injured his leg working on a roof. I saw him a short while later while he was still limping around and I said "Uncle, I have a question for you." He said "What" and I replied "What the $%^& were you doing up on a roof; do you have a %^&*ing death wish?". He replied that he had to go up and fix the roof himself because the young guys just don't do it right (he's a builder, still not retired though he can certainly afford to, but that's a whole other story). Stubborn old man.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
My proprioception has always been bad and is failing rapidly.
There's not a thing I can do about it.
I often ask for help at the store, and pay people to do yard work.
Hope I die before I need to go to assisted living.
There are many exercises you can do to improve proprioception. I went to PT for an inner ear problem and they had me stand on one foot, stand on one foot with eyes closed, stand on foam, etc.

Worked wonders.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did a four day solo backpacking trip this past summer. There was one pass that was a little hairy to get down. There were a series of maybe 40 switchbacks on scree that dropped 2,000 feet. The first couple of switchbacks made my knees a bit weak. I was really glad I had treking poles, they help a lot when fording creeks and rivers too.

It was an incredible trip and I am going back for more this coming summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040370.jpg (636.8 KB, 5 views)