Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had that pain. But It was exercise that had started it. The car was just bringing out the problem. It took a few months of stretching to fix it.

Try this...

Lie on back
Bend right knee so foot is flat on floor
Put arms out to side
lift right foot off the ground a little and lift it over you left leg
lower right knee towards left hand

You might feel the same pain. This stretches the muscle that also has the nerve attached. Work towards holding your right foot with your left hand and stretch for a minute each night before bed. In bed is good.

When I started this stretch was very tight. Now the pain has gone and flexibility is much better.

phil

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It should be possible to find a solution.

I'd say it's time for some serious experimentation. You've got to discover that critical difference that's causing the problem.

First, if you have another car that causes no problems, sit in it then immediately go sit in the new car. Is there any difference in positioning that's obvious? Can you do anything to make the new car seating position like the other car's?

If that doesn't help, perhaps you can experiment using a block of foam rubber or a pillow. Ride for 30 minutes with it under, say, one butt cheek. Better? Worse? Then try with it in other locations.

Since this is such a dramatic problem, I'd expect this to at least tell you where the problem lies.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
When you first got into this model for a test drive, did you notice anything different with the seating position vs. you're existing car? Maybe those first impressions, so easily forgotten, could be a key to the problem/solution.

I have gotten into cars where the seating position is lower, so my legs are out straight more. I find those are not well suited to me, but people are different.
A test drive is what ? maybe 15 minutes max.

To really get to know a car you must sit in it for at least an hour. That's when you'll start to know.

Consider renting the car you are considering for a weekend if it's available as a rental. This can be very enlightening. and not just for seats. You can find out all sorts of things you like and don't like by having a sample car for a weekend.

Per the seat thing, try using a towel under your thighs for a little more lift. That's not a great thing to do with a new car but now that it's yours you need to accomodate each other.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Drive a diff car for a while to confirm that it is the new car and not coincidence.
It could be both. A recent injury or bout of inflammation, which shows up in certain driving positions. I'd be surprised if a modern car seat is the direct specific cause of this kind of discomfort.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
That's ridiclously tacky but I would grin and bear if it would fix the problem.

Lesson learned is to ask the dealership for a loaner car of the same model for a long weekend drive before buying one.

Fortunately (unfortunately?) it's not hemorrhoids.
Hm...I drove around for 7 years in a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport from 2002-2009 and used a piece of cardboard to firm up the cushion because the non-height-adjustable seat had developed a depression probably from the 1.5 years it spent as a rental car in Florida ferrying fat tourists, and there was no way to adjust the back of the seat bottom higher, so your definition of tacky and my definition of tacky are slightly different.

Just don't get one of those bead taxi seat cushions, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #26

On vacation in a rented ford focus - we'll see how it compares. Only observation so far is that the seat seems to be slightly higher than the Acura, even when the acura's seat is raised up.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'd guess it's your butt's relative lack of padding and the rather firm leather seats that are causing the problem. Maybe your time in this rental car will help throw some light on the issue.
I'd give a thin memory foam pad a shot, just to see if that helps. It's not a great long-term answer, but it could help you figure out if it's the padding or something else (distance to pedals, etc)
Can you get a TSX on loan with cloth seats? I'll bet the Acura dealer will help you out.
Maybe the seats in the analogue Honda would fit your TSXs seat rails and you could get them installed in your car without much trouble, allowing you to sell your seats. It won't be cheap, but it would probably be cheaper than taking the hit on depreciation to sell the car.
Is it a TSX wagon? Maybe we could work something out. No selfish motives on my part, but I hate the thought of you being in pain. This car is killing you, after all. Life's too short . . . I have a very knowledgeable friend that says they are really unreliable . . . locusts . . .well, you know the rest.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #28

Well I drove the Ford Focus for 4 days, no problems. Back home in the TSX and the pain returns. Maybe the Focus seat was an inch or two higher than the TSX but I don't see how such a small difference could cause this pain. Sometimes it seems to be a nerve pain in my right butt (piriformis?), other times it seems to be more of a muscle pain along the back of my leg below my butt (hamstring?). I'm still trying different seating positions but can't figure out what the problem is. I'm at my wits end with this!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I drove the Ford Focus for 4 days, no problems. Back home in the TSX and the pain returns. Maybe the Focus seat was an inch or two higher than the TSX but I don't see how such a small difference could cause this pain. Sometimes it seems to be a nerve pain in my right butt (piriformis?), other times it seems to be more of a muscle pain along the back of my leg below my butt (hamstring?). I'm still trying different seating positions but can't figure out what the problem is. I'm at my wits end with this!
Oh, I've been through this drill. Saturn SL-1 vs Miata...

The fix was simple, if silly, for me. I got a GOOD wedge-shaped pillow, called a 'seat wedge', and dropped it on the car seat with the thick end at the backrest. This changed the pressure distribution on my leg, rear, and lower back from what the bare seat had, and provided relief really quickly.

Might be worth a try.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am 59 now but when I was in my late 20's I developed some severe back pains which were debilitating. I did have a car with soft seats at the time but I don't think that the support was there.

I tried a number of things including a new bed, new chair, new office chair. I eventually got a new car. The doctor gave me some exercises to strengthen my core which i did along with some medications.
The pain eventually went away and never really came back. I am not sure what the solution was as I tried many different things listed above.

I am now very careful in deciding on the car that I purchase and the support of the seat.

I also stopped sitting on my wallet and have since carried my wallet in my front pocket to this very day.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I wonder whether the rails that seats sit on are standard. If so, you could replace the seat.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Oh, I've been through this drill. Saturn SL-1 vs Miata...

The fix was simple, if silly, for me. I got a GOOD wedge-shaped pillow, called a 'seat wedge', and dropped it on the car seat with the thick end at the backrest. This changed the pressure distribution on my leg, rear, and lower back from what the bare seat had, and provided relief really quickly.

Might be worth a try.
This sounds like a really, really good thing to try. I would urge you to give this approach a chance, soupxcan.

As an aside, is the car's suspension in bad shape? Probably not, but if so get that fixed too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #33

Quote:
That one or two inch difference means your hip angle will be different, which means pressure is applied differently to the gluteal region and the sciatic nerve. That is most likely the culprit. Adjust the seat to mimic the set up in the Focus, and you may find improvement in your symptoms.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #34

My most favorite car we ever owned was our 1998 Acura....however riding in for over an hour was really rough on my husband's lower back. (He had back trouble prior to this).

He purchased a lower back support pillow thing at a truck stop on a 1500 mile road trip. It made all the difference in the world. That Acura seating was the only car he ever experienced such trouble with....it was a happy day when we bought that pillow.

Good luck and hope you find a remedy soon!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #35

Hey soup,

Sounds like sciatic pain. Bad posture induced by your car seat can be a factor in this. I find that a higher seat is critical. With my recent sciatic issues, I'll be buying large vehicles like SUVs and trucks from now on, because it is a health issue. I highly recommend you find some McKenzie stretches on the net, or acquire one of the back-care books by Robin McKenzie.

I had the same issue as you exacerbated by a low car seat, and ended up with a herniated disc and a shload of pain along with it.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #36

Well, the pain kept getting worse so I had to sell the car. I put an ad up on Craigslist to test the market before I was 100% sure about selling it, the next day an Acura dealer (not where I bought it) called me and was very interested in it. They were low on this model and couldn't get any more from the manufacturer. I thought there was going to be a catch - but I went down there anyway. Surprisingly, I sold it for what I paid for it! Of course I didn't get the taxes and fees back, so there was a financial hit, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Following that, the pain was not as intense but continued to linger even though I had stopped driving altogether. I got a steroid shot from the doctor, which helped some, but after driving DW's car this weekend it was still aggravated (though not as bad). Dr said it could take 6 weeks to get back to normal. Now it feels more like nerve pain, rather than nerve+muscle pain with the Acura. I'm doing more stretches and working on core strength. Still shopping for a new car but looking at SUVs with a more upright driving position and also trying to keep from turning my right foot out when pressing on the gas.

This has been my first experience with chronic pain and I can say that IT SUCKS.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I hear you, man. I'm flat on my back right now because I played piano for 15 minutes yesterday. You won't be able to evaluate a new car until you are all better.

Amazing that you got such a good price.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #38

The most comfortable ride? my 99 Suburban. Recently made several 3 hr drives to Baltimore, non -stop. No aches or pains or discomfort. Truly a most comfortable ride. Even with 65 PSI in tires all around.

Of course you pay for the comfort in MPG.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #39

Try raising the seat and bring it forward so your legs are more bent. I had the same problem and this helped. Now, I only get the pain when I drive very long distances - 7 hours or more. When driving this much, it hurts even though I take breaks & stretch, but it usually goes away in a day. Stretch out your hamstrings & glutes - that helps too.

Hope it works for you.

Edit: Missed your post about selling the car.