Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Category
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Congrats on your new forum, R-in-T!
Thanks, Cube. Yeah, duty called. Very heavy-handed group of moderators here, you know .

Haven't seen you around much recently - nice to hear from you.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Haven't seen you around much recently - nice to hear from you.
I have a new cube gig, which is why I haven't been around much. I plan to post something upstairs on defined pension plans when I can muster enough energy to rub two brain cells together.

I hope all is well with you.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

What, you're out of the barium enemas? Aw, crap ...
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:24 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
To add to the forum (and trying to be serious), you may want to get a list (via a poll) of what people are willing to "admit to a condition", and how they can be used as resources for support (if you wish).

For example, I'm diabetic. Diagnosed in 2001 (how that happened is a story in itself). In a nutshell, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me (seriously...)

Since I'm managing it strictly by diet/exercise, I know what the "challanges" are, and how they can be addressed. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I did, for the same situation.
I'd personally welcome personal accounts of illnesses for those who are comfortable sharing that kind of stuff. I'm guessing there must be great variability in how much people are willing to open up on a forum like this, but you never know. But if there is information or inspiration therein, can't see it doing any harm; and if it helps even one person...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'd personally welcome personal accounts of illnesses for those who are comfortable sharing that kind of stuff. I'm guessing there must be great variability in how much people are willing to open up on a forum like this, but you never know. But if there is information or inspiration therein, can't see it doing any harm; and if it helps even one person...
A very thoughtful post. I would personally find this kind of unseemly.
That might be viewed as ironic, considering some of my
past posting.

JG
Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's my job. The winners are:

Dog52 (twice)
Me
BPP
Greg
MyDream
Nords
FinanceDude
Eagle43
Martha
DanTien

Congratulations to the lucky winners. I will be sending out vouchers by the end of the week (DOG52 - no more than one prize per week, sorry).

Thanks for giving this new category the dignified and authoritative send-off it so richly deserves.

Feel free to give JG one of my vouchers. He probably needs it more than I do.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #27

I'm glad I waited to post on this thread

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What does your spouse think of this plan, and what parts is she willing to help out with?
She doesn't care if I live to be 100, as long as the last voice I hear is hers. She offered to help in drop dead part.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Feel free to give JG one of my vouchers. He probably needs it more than I do.
Slick move, DOG. You're trying to back out by moving forward.

BTW, Rich, Thanks for everything and the great new category, but I don't want a voucher. I'll just put my medical insurance card under my pillow and wait for a visit someday.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by disEntropy Greg
Slick move, DOG. You're trying to back out by moving forward.
I think it's called "doggie style".

JG
Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #31

Rich: How about a couple of 'sticky threads' for this category:

Amusing lower-GI incident Monday

Homeopathy gone wild

Who's sicker: Republicans or Democrats?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

How can a GI event be amusing??

I beleive in homeopathy to some extent.........

Of course, the healthiest would be Dems, just ask them..........

Republicans just support big drug companies, counting on R&D to give them "superdrugs" to overcome their lack of willpower..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
For example, I'm diabetic. Diagnosed in 2001 (how that happened is a story in itself). In a nutshell, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to me (seriously...)

Since I'm managing it strictly by diet/exercise, I know what the "challanges" are, and how they can be addressed. I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I did, for the same situation.

- Ron
I would be very interested in this Ron. Two of my sibs are diabetic, and it appears that while I do not yet meet diagnostic criteria for DM, it seems that it likely could be in my future if I don't come up with effective interventions. Also, if they keep lowering the BG cutoff, they will likely include me in even with no change in my condition.

What do you do?

Ha
Old 11-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Terrance & Phillip from South Park are always very amused by one particular lower-GI event. Of course, it's only amusing if it doesn't hurt. For example, hearing "Greg, you're not behaving like an adult, why don't you go over to the corner and sit on that stool," would amuse me and soil my pants, i.e. a lower-GI incident.

Ok, time for me to go away for a while.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

All you need are a few young kids to understand lower GI event...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
it seems that it likely could be in my future if I don't come up with effective interventions.
Ha,

Since I don't know your family history (and not an MD), I can't give my thoughts or opinion on what your risk is for developing diabetes. However, (if you haven't seen this yet) here's a start on some investigation for you:

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-prevention.jsp

You say that two of your siblings have diabetes. For me (based upon my own readings) this is a strong indicator of a family related condition, and you "may" be at risk. However, if your siblings did not actively "fight" (via diet/exercise) against the "pre-diabetes" condition (if indicated) and you do, your future prognosis may be much different.

One thing I will say (and any doctor will tell you the same thing) that the management of diabetes lies with you. Yes, there are doctors and medical support staff that will "guide" you, but you are the primary person to direct this support team in your "goal". Will you take responsibility for this? If so, your outcome will be much better than if you leave it "with the system".

What I'm saying is that it's a bit like doing your own financial planning (v/s giving it up to another person). You need to read, learn, experiment, and make modifications to "your plan" along the way. If you do so, you will be more successful than if you do not. Will you still have the disease if you take an active role? Yes... Will you still have to take insulin/pills? Maybe... Will you have a good (and long) life if YOU manage your disease? ABSOUTELY!!!

Hopefully, this slight intro will be of some value to you (and others?)...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Ron.

Ha
Old 11-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #38

I go on vacation and come back to a new category! Great job!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When your getting a 2 handed shoulder massage at the same time and there's only one other person in the room besides you!
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #40

So, is this actually a real place for medical questions? Cause I will spew a few of my own that I'm not embarrassed about but have hit me at an early age.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote