Join Early Retirement Today

New HC rates with Obamacare
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

New HC rates with Obamacare

Just got our Obamacare scare in the mail today. To keep our same HSA policy for me & two kids, going from $259 to $433, a 67% increase and $2,100 we'll be spending on insurance rather than anything else. That doesn't even include my wife, who has a separate policy at work.

How can Obamacare not crash an already fragile economy?

Anyone else get their new rate info yet?
Retire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I posted mine recently similar to yours...

Got my Regence Blue Cross letter today , I have a 3500 deduct. Hsa at $257/mo, they are changing
the policy to std bronze plan 5000 det. at $486/mo.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much does the subsidy reduce that premium?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

All these letters mean is that you should shop your policy. With the exchanges open to all, you should have a lot of choices and prices may be a lot lower than your old policy and/or offer better benefits. Turn off Fox "News" and do a little shopping next week.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire44 View Post
To keep our same HSA policy for me & two kids, going from $259 to $433, a 67% increase and $2,100 we'll be spending on insurance rather than anything else. That doesn't even include my wife, who has a separate policy at work.

Anyone else get their new rate info yet?
There are lots of threads where people have shared their rate information. Unfortunately, many have had multiple large increases dating back to before the PPACA was even passed. This is nothing new, and the legislation did not impact existing plans to nearly that degree. Sharp increases are more likely when one hits an age bracket rate change. How does this rate compare with the state exchange plans?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
How much does the subsidy reduce that premium?
That price is buying directly from ins co. without going through the exchange
and getting a subsidy.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
and getting a subsidy.
Ah, well there is your problem. The insurance companies now have to insure people with pre-existing conditions, so rates have to go up for all. The exchanges will be able to negotiate a better rate than individuals buying off exchange policies.

It kind of makes sense...if I have to insure someone who is on a $80,000 a year wonder drug, I can't make a lot of money charging them $600 a month premium.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Ah, well there is your problem. The insurance companies now have to insure people with pre-existing conditions, so rates have to go up for all. The exchanges will be able to negotiate a better rate than individuals buying off exchange policies.

It kind of makes sense...if I have to insure someone who is on a $80,000 a year wonder drug, I can't make a lot of money charging them $600 a month premium.
Yeah, I am now covered for maternity benefits but will have to get a sex change to use it. Change is good?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I am now covered for maternity benefits but will have to get a sex change to use it. Change is good?
And I pay school tax even though we never had kids and I went to a private school growing up. Who said life was fair?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Is the sex change covered?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
Is the sex change covered?
They are working on that too.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and getting a subsidy.
Exactly. So go shop your policy next week when the exchanges open. You may be pleasantly surprised.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire44 View Post
Just got our Obamacare scare in the mail today. To keep our same HSA policy for me & two kids, going from $259 to $433, a 67% increase and $2,100 we'll be spending on insurance rather than anything else. That doesn't even include my wife, who has a separate policy at work.
While that's a huge increase, it still seems cheap compared to what health care actually costs from everything I've read. I have to assume costs in 2013 are even higher than 2009.
Quote:
Kaiser’s 2009 survey found that employer health insurance premiums were $13,375 [$1,114/month] for a family and $4824 for a single person.
If my wife and I get coverage for $433/month when/if we go on an ACA exchange, we'll be over the moon pleased...

I've been surprised at how low the rates are on all the exchanges I've looked at, thanks to other members posts here.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I posted mine recently similar to yours...

Got my Regence Blue Cross letter today , I have a 3500 deduct. Hsa at $257/mo, they are changing
the policy to std bronze plan 5000 det. at $486/mo.
I'm curious. Is the old plan here one of those high-deductible, low premium catastrophic plans?

Does it have lower co-payments for doctors visits, prescriptions, lab tests, etc. or do those cost full price until you hit the deductible?

What is the max lifetime benefits?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Homestead I am of the same mind of you. I first thought it was insane to have to be forced to pay for prenatal, and mental/ drug issues without signing up for it. But I guess it is what you are used to. Several states have already had unisex policy and these type coverages for several years already, unbeknownst to me.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'm curious. Is the old plan here one of those high-deductible, low premium catastrophic plans?

Does it have lower co-payments for doctors visits, prescriptions, lab tests, etc. or do those cost full price until you hit the deductible?

What is the max lifetime benefits?
3.5k deductible 257 premium, 50% Coinsurance, 5k max out of pocket, 2M lifetime I believe.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a notice from Florida BCBS in August that my monthly premium for the same plan from October - December was going from $579 to $719. The plan has a $2k deductible for hospital related costs only and a $10K out of pocket max. The ACA made routine doctor visits no charge. It also eliminated the lifetime and annual max. For the entire time we have had this policy, that's all the medical services we used. Based on my research, with the subsidy, we'll be able to get a silver plan for $102 a month with better coverage. For us, the ACA is a great deal.

When you don't use medical services, you are paying for someone else. That's how insurance works. Eventually, you are going to use the services. I don't have any kids in school any more, but I pay my school taxes. It's called the social contract.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
3.5k deductible 257 premium, 50% Coinsurance, 5k max out of pocket, 2M lifetime I believe.
The lifetime max goes away. Feel free to develop a serious, longterm illness requiring decades of expensive care.

Until the whole truth is revealed, the true costs are not known. There are going to be a series of plans on the public exchanges were subsidies are available and private exchangers where they are not. The size of the medical networks will vary significantly between plans based on reports I've heard. This will become a major research project for thinking people or a buy & hope exercise for the rest.

We can assume the basic premise of the ACA will remain. Younger people will subsidize the older people in the plan. The healthy will subsidize the sick. We will all pay for more coverage than we might have selected had we had a choice. You can call that the "social contract" or something else.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
We can assume the basic premise of the ACA will remain. Younger people will subsidize the older people in the plan. The healthy will subsidize the sick. We will all pay for more coverage than we might have selected had we had a choice. You can call that the "social contract" or something else.
I, for one, will not be paying for more coverage than I might have selected. My current coverage is expensive and it sucks. The new coverage I will be getting will be cheaper and more extensive.

It would be so much simpler if we just adopted the Canadian system. Uh, oh, I guess I just turned this thread into bacon.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post

You could assume that, but I don't think it would be wise to plan for that actually happening. Many singles in their 20's will undoubtedly decide not to subsidize the rest of us.
Other than being 'encouraged' to do so by their folks (which as we know is not very effective at that age), they don't plan to get sick so why would they?
Malcolm2 is offline   Reply With Quote