Join Early Retirement Today

New looser ACA "Hardship Exemptions" being handed out
Old 09-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New looser ACA "Hardship Exemptions" being handed out

The CMS has issued new guidance for issuing a "Hardship Exemption" under the ACA. Basically they will not require any documentation for the exemption and will hand them out like candy.

This may be useful in getting access to a Catastrophic plan, which is usually only for 30 yo or less. These plans are lower priced due to the healthier / younger age group. With an exemption older people can get these plans.

https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/...inal-91218.pdf

jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

That should only be needed for this year (2018), the repeal of the mandate to have insurance takes effect in 2019.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
That should only be needed for this year (2018), the repeal of the mandate to have insurance takes effect in 2019.
I'm interested in catastrophic plans two or three years from now as my kids mature off my current Silver plan, but I will be 52 or so by then. It seems to me that the hardship exemption would still be necessary to get the catastrophic plan even if there is no shared responsibility payment.

ETA: From my read of the link in the OP, the flexibility is only being done for 2018. Sigh.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
This may be useful in getting access to a Catastrophic plan, which is usually only for 30 yo or less. These plans are lower priced due to the healthier / younger age group. With an exemption older people can get these plans.

https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/...inal-91218.pdf
The link says "This change would apply to 2018 only". This seems to imply the regular hardship exemption process applies to 2019 ACA catastrophic plans.

Also: "Consumers should keep with their other tax records any documentation that demonstrates qualification for the hardship exemption."
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #6

Perhaps even more interesting is the expanded criteria available to get get an exemption.

The following was cited as a footnote in the original posted document.

https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/...n-Guidance.pdf
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
....This may be useful in getting access to a Catastrophic plan, which is usually only for 30 yo or less. These plans are lower priced due to the healthier / younger age group. With an exemption older people can get these plans. ....
From what I understand, premiums for catastrophic coverage are not very different from the cost of a bronze plan in a lot of states. I recall pricing it out in Florida and it wasn't much different from the premiums for a bronze plan.

However, in Vermont, where age rating is prohibited, it is about 1/2 of the cost of a bronze plan.... we currently pay about $250/month each... networks are identical and coverage is similar. I suspect that NY may be the same story as I know they do not allow age rating.

With the cost of bronze coverage we find it easy to manage our income to qualify for the affordability exemption... lowest cost bronze plan exceeds 8.16% of income.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote