Join Early Retirement Today

New relief for plantar fasciitis
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Administrator

New relief for plantar fasciitis

This was in the morning paper http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...core-ipad&_r=0
Quote:
If you have stairs or a sturdy box in your home and a backpack, timely relief for plantar fasciitis may be possible, according to a new study of low-tech treatments for the condition.
The study is not available to the public, but the specific details of the stretch were detailed in the NYT article:
Quote:
But the new study, published in August in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, finds that a single exercise could be even more effective. It requires standing barefoot on the affected leg on a stair or box, with a rolled-up towel resting beneath the toes of the sore foot and the heel extending over the edge of the stair or box. The unaffected leg should hang free, bent slightly at the knee.
Then slowly raise and lower the affected heel to a count of three seconds up, two seconds at the top and three seconds down. In the study, once participants could complete 12 repetitions fairly easily, volunteers donned a backpack stuffed with books to add weight. The volunteers performed eight to 12 repetitions of the exercise every other day.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you MichaelB. I have had PF in my right foot for almost a year. My left foot is now also developing the same symptoms. The entire list of everything I have tried is so lengthy I won't bore everyone, but the money I've spent thus far is well over 1k and continuing to climb.

This exercise had been recommended to me early on, and it actually seemed to make the pain much worse. However, this study recommends every other day, while I was doing it 3-4 times daily. So.... your post has encouraged me to try it again with the hope that perhaps it will help.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting fix. I do not have the problem and hope not have it either.

I do half of that exercise as part of my Ju jutsu warmups, stole the idea from ballet. Jump off one foot, then both feet just by rapidly flexing feet at the ankles, both with toes pointing forward and also in fifth position. Includes slight bend of the knee upon landing, to absorb shock.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I had a serious case in my left foot and acupuncture combined with Dr Scholl's lifts for all my shoes made it tolerable. Stopped wearing flip-flops and going barefoot.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will try it - thanks for posting!

Found a brand of flip-flops that are extra cushiony and have arch support - they are Telic brand. www.TelicInternational.com shows the product and lists info on where to purchase.

Out of everything in the closet, these are one of only three pairs of shoes I can wear right now due to plantar fasciitis.

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can recommend Crocs as well, they helped my PF all but dissapear.
ernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. It's due to this site that I learned what my heel pain in the morning was called, and started doing some random stretches before I get out of bed... I will add this to my repertoire.

And seconding the crocs flip-flops. If I wear these - the arch support and cushy heel seem to be enough to not trigger pain. My other flip flops are now retired to the back of the closet. I live in flip-flops... so this is a big deal.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have been living in Orthaheel shoes, and they have been the most comfortable I can find. I tried croc's and they weren't as soft in the heel area as I needed. I just purchased a pair of Telic's online. I look forward to trying them.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

OK, I saw the photo of the exercise and it kind of reminds me of riding a bike with so-called clipless pedals … you know the pedals that you use bike shoes w/cleats with.

Do folks who do a lot of bike riding avoid bouts of PF? Trombone Al?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

This is one of the three styles of shoes I can currently wear. No plantar fasciitis pain at all with these Chung Shi sandals.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Administrator

Thanks Michael, looks like a great exercise and I will remember to use it next time I have a bout of PF.

The following statement in the article surprised me:

Quote:
Until recently, first-line treatments involved stretching and anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen or cortisone. But many scientists now believe that anti-inflammatories are unwarranted, because the condition involves little inflammation. Stretching is still commonly recommended.
When I had my first, and worst, PF the doc brought in an ultra sound scanner and explained what he was doing while I watched. On the good heel he measured the thickness of the plantar facia and it was 4.2mm He did the same on the sore heel and it was 6mm. He said he just wanted to confirm that it was inflamed. As well as exercises he prescribed anti-inflammatories.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
gone traveling

Passed it on to DW, thanks Michael!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
He said he just wanted to confirm that it was inflamed. As well as exercises he prescribed anti-inflammatories.
I think this just shows that physicians are not all that. Most just go by what they read and what they read could be misleading.

There are biochemical markers for inflammation, so if those chemicals are absent, then there is less likelihood of inflammation. One may wish to read up about how cortisone shots (cortisone is an anti-inflammatory) have fallen into disrepute. For instance, http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...-things-worse/

The article also talks about degenerative damage in the absence of inflammation.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, I saw the photo of the exercise and it kind of reminds me of riding a bike with so-called clipless pedals … you know the pedals that you use bike shoes w/cleats with.

Do folks who do a lot of bike riding avoid bouts of PF? Trombone Al?
That is sort of how I cured my plantar fasciitis years ago. I had terrible pain for over two years. Foot doctor tried cortisone shots and gave me a list of stretches including one similar to this. Nothing helped more tan a day or two. Walking on the concrete floors at work was excruciating and I looked twenty years older than I was.

I happened to buy a set of toe clips for my commuter bike as I didn't want to wear cycling shoes to work or shopping.
The toe clips made a stretch in the foot similar to the pick up the towel with your toes exercise the doc recommended but thousands of times over. (Who is going to pick up a towel 500 times in a sitting?) Within two weeks of adding the toe clips and doing maybe 4 intermediate length rides a week the pain was gone and has stayed gone until last week - over 15 years.

The pain started up again hiking with the dog last week, time to buy another set of toe clips.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

Quote:
I think this just shows that physicians are not all that. Most just go by what they read and what they read could be misleading.

There are biochemical markers for inflammation, so if those chemicals are absent, then there is less likelihood of inflammation. One may wish to read up about how cortisone shots (cortisone is an anti-inflammatory) have fallen into disrepute. For instance, http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...-things-worse/

The article also talks about degenerative damage in the absence of inflammation.
Any chance that your post and the NY Times blog are misleading?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #16

It is interesting to read the comments below the NYT article - some sufferers have comments on what helped them.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Any chance that your post and the NY Times blog are misleading?
Of course, there's a chance. Read the original research yourself. Then ask, "Is there any chance that the original research is misleading?" and I will answer, "Of course, there's a chance."
Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:

Hard to believe that the foot in pain had a plantar facia 50% thicker than the good one and it not being inflamed, but I'm not a Doc.

My foot Doc does not believe in cortisone injections, and the only anti-inflammatory he said to use was OTC naproxen. He was a big believer in exercises, just not the particular one that Michael shows here.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Michael. I've developed a case of plantar fasciitis in my left foot over the last month or so. This morning I could barely put my foot down after a 5-mile walk yesterday, even with my new Dr. Scholl's insoles. I'll try that exercise.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #20

We talked about plantar fasciitis back in May and was wondering if any of you had tried the ultrasound treatment like I had. As I said back then, had the cortisone injection the first time and it worked but was very painful. I waited almost a year to get treatment the second time I had it because the injection was so painful. New doctor that I tried said he didn't recommend injections but used ultrasound. Haven't had a problem since.

p.s. did try all the exercises and night splint.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote