Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #261
Dryer sheet wannabe

I had my 2nd shot yesterday - about 2 months after the first. Sore arm again, but does not seem as bad as the first shot. BUT, did have a 101 fever and chills last night and generally feeling unwell. Did not have that with the 1st shot. Feeling totally fine today.
Firedafter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #262
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Most places around here (SW PA) have a 4 to 5 page waiting list. None know when the stuff will show up.
Clearly the shortage didn't clear out in July. Still better than not having it at all for some/most people.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #263
Recycles dryer sheets

Speaking from experience, shingles is not fun to get. Beyond the intense pain and disfiguring scabs for a good month or so, there is the possibility of long term complications. Specifically, 1) post herpatic neuralgia (nerve pain) can last months, years, even decades. 2) if you are unlucky to get shingles on the face, there is the possibility of nerve damage to teeth roots - eventual need for root canals, implants, etc. From my perspective (4 decades post shingles), the vaccine is a bargain.
Canoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #264
Recycles dryer sheets

We got our first shots two months ago and second a couple of days ago. I was a little tired the day following my first shot. I felt like a truck hit me the night and day following my second. This is the second day. I slept 11 hours straight last night and I feel much better today. My wife wasn't affected much, just a little tired.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:08 AM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
We got our first shots two months ago and second a couple of days ago. I was a little tired the day following my first shot. I felt like a truck hit me the night and day following my second. This is the second day. I slept 11 hours straight last night and I feel much better today. My wife wasn't affected much, just a little tired.
Another few hours has now passed and my wife has developed a large red itchy painful hot blister about 3" in diameter just below the injection site. Hopefully this is the worst of it for her.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still not available at my Dr's for second shot, but I have plenty of time.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #267

I finally was able to get my first shot a few weeks ago. What happened is my local Costco has a waiting list. They called me and I arranged a time to go. Before that time, Costco called back and said they wanted to rescind that offer, as they were just informed that they were not going to get any more vaccine until January and that that was too long to wait for the second shot. Thanks to this thread I was able to question that, and when they still resisted, I asked them to give me the old vaccine (it has been 5 yrs. since my original old vaccine). After being on hold for a while, they relented and I was able to get the first shot.

DW (only just 60)was still on the waiting list, and her Dr. said it was OK for her to wait until January since her immune systems was in good shape. I'm glad he told her that because it was a little tricky explaining why I ran off to get a shot without waiting for her.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Still not available at my Dr's for second shot, but I have plenty of time.
Called back this week and found that they had saved some shots for folks needing the second one so I got it today. Arm doesn't seem as sore tonight, we'll see tomorrow (IIRC it was worse the next day for the first one).
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #269
gone traveling

My insurance covers Shingrix, my cost $0. Because I have chronic CLL (in remission) my oncologist told me not to get Zostex. I'm going to ask him about Shingrix next time I see him in October.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
My insurance covers Shingrix, my cost $0. Because I have chronic CLL (in remission) my oncologist told me not to get Zostex. I'm going to ask him about Shingrix next time I see him in October.
My insurance also covers Shingrix. However, COSTCO charged me a copay. So I had to send in a reimbursement form to my insurance company.

The medical industrial complex has really fouled up the release of the Shingrix vaccine, IMO>

Old 09-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #271

Wife and I got Shingrix 1 and then Shingrix 2, along with quadrivalent flu at local Walgreens. Pharmacists do the injections.

Cost 0. (retired military Tricare)

Side effects same for Shingrix 1 and 2:
Wife - sore arm for 24 hours
Me - very sore arm for 48 hours with red area about 1.5" x 3" ...
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #272
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
My insurance also covers Shingrix. However, COSTCO charged me a copay. So I had to send in a reimbursement form to my insurance company.

The medical industrial complex has really fouled up the release of the Shingrix vaccine, IMO>
For us the social media hype about problems (i.e. limited availability) turned out to be much worse than the actual situation. We walked in and got our first injection. Eight weeks later we checked and there was no supply so the pharmacy (WalMart) put us on a waitlist. We received a call one week later saying to come in for our second injection.

There was some confusion whether my wife's ACA policy would cover Shingrix. The insurance company told her "no" but the pharmacy CS person said that she was running the insurance anyway and sure enough, both shots were covered!

It's early for Shingrix. I'm sure the bumps will smooth out before too long.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #273
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm at almost 6 months since shot #1 and on Costco's waiting list - I hope. The pharm tech took my name and number on a piece of scrap paper.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm at almost 6 months since shot #1 and on Costco's waiting list - I hope. The pharm tech took my name and number on a piece of scrap paper.
My Costco said new doses would not be in for them until January. They do seem to have an actual list that they can find people on, however.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I would recommend checking back in person to make sure you are on the list. It also can't hurt to be a bit of a squeaky wheel. We had planned to check back with our pharmacy about a week after being put on their waitlist but were called to come in for our second shot before we had the chance to. Good luck!!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #276

I got both mine, but my husband was on a Walgreens wait list. I called some small independent pharmacies and they had it and no wait list, so he went to one last week.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #277

My DH received his first shot a few months ago. He went to Sam's Club last week and was put on a wait list. They called him the next day and he received the second shot. I still need to get mine.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #278
Recycles dryer sheets

Was at the doctor's for a checkup yesterday and learned that they'd just received a batch. Had my first shot and today I feel like a truck hit me. Ache everywhere. Headache. The arm is red hot with a big lump around the injection site. I was smart enough to get it in my left arm since I sleep on my right side.

Still, after watching two friends end up hospitalized with shingles pain and post-herpetic neuralgia, I'm glad I got it.
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #279
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got message from Walgreens, have vaccine, showed up and got the first jab. Along with a high dose of flushot. And coughed up $165, as my prescription plan has not reached the out of pocket the minimum this year. Medicare covered the flu jab.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #280
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got 2nd dose almost exactly two months after the first at a local Kroger. Asked about availability, the pharmacist indicated that they have not had an issue over the last month or so.

With first shot had only very minor arm soreness , 2nd shot had flu-like symptoms for about 24 hours.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote