Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #281
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife had no reaction to the first of the shots. The second one was extremely painful swelling red lump and fever. The dosing Pharmacist lady said that it might go that way and she was correct about my wife.

I did not get it upon the advice of all of my transplant doctors.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got my Shingrix and Flu shot yesterday, one in each arm. The Shingrix shot site does still ache a bit, but then so does the Flu one, although not quite as much.

I can get the second installment at > 60 days, so I will be getting the second one the first week of Dec. Both shots were free for me based on my healthcare insurance which is TRICARE Retired Reserve (that insurance costs me ~$450/mo - I won't be a 'retired' TRICARE user with the inexpensive premiums for another 5.5 years or so).
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets

haven't read the whole thread, just last page. my 2nd shot caused some medium reaction. ~8-10 hrs later, felt like I was coming down w/something - feverish, general malaise, sorta like immune system working OT. went right to bed (as it was almost bedtime). felt fine next am. search showed this as possible reaction. just fyi
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #284

My DH did not have any reaction to either of the shots. Hope that I am as lucky when I get mine.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:02 PM   #285

DW got the call from Costco. Got the first dose two days ago. She was cold the next day then got a silver dollar size welt at the injection site. Still has it two days later.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #286
Administrator

Just a follow up... I got the second dose last night. 12 hours later small fever and nausea (same as round 1).

I had trouble getting the second dose as there is a shortage in my area. Local pharmacies are being very cagey about when they will have more or even if they have any on hand. My local pharmacy is getting a few doses each week and working through a handwritten list of folks like me who are past the 6 month window.

I noticed on the cdc website there is some new advice at the top of the page about getting the second dose...

Quote:
You should make every effort to get the second dose of Shingrix between 2 and 6 months after you got the first dose. If your doctor or pharmacist is out of Shingrix, you can use the Vaccine Finder to help find other providers who have Shingrix. You can also contact pharmacies in your area and request to be put on a waiting list for Shingrix if they do not have the vaccine in stock. If it’s been more than 6 months since you got the first dose, you should get the second dose as soon as possible; you don’t need to restart the vaccine series.

This runs directly in the face of some of the comments I got from local providers about "chilling out" about getting the second dose, sort of implying that the 6 month window was not really important.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #287

It's been almost 24 hours since my second dose. No symptoms other than very minor soreness in the injection area.

Pharmacies in our area are also always out, and noncommittal about availability.

One pharmacist I spoke with (just before my 6 months were up) claimed that they're changing the guidance on that, extending the time recommended for the 2nd dose. He also said they'd done that once before; it was originally 1-4 months or something like that.

I ended up going out of network and paying the $41 co-pay. Shout-out to Rite Aid / Walgreens for getting me near the top of the waiting list because my second shot was three weeks overdue, even though I didn't get my first dose from them.

My first shot (CVS) was free, but they refused to maintain a waiting list. For 5 months I'd call weekly, and ask. They always said no, and they didn't have the resources to maintain a waiting list. They'd say to call back next week. Sometimes they said I'd just missed a batch that came in shortly after my last call.

How they had the time to answer my calls every week for 5 months, but not jot down my name, is baffling. I'll probably write to CVS's home office to complain.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #288

We got our 2nd shots at our WalMart. They asked if we had been called. I said "No, we got a letter". She said "we don't send out letters". I said we got one from this WalMart saying for me to come in for my 2nd shot. She then said "we only call, no letters". I asked if I should go home and get the letter. "No need", she said, "you're on the list to be called". After wasting more time asking around about the letters, they finally agreed to give us our shot.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #289

Our doc told us he feels we should wait to get this since it’s a new vaccine. We’re in our late 50’s. I guess he feels he wants to see how things go with it and make sure there aren’t unanticipated side effects.

We generally trust our doc but I wonder what others think about this advice?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #290

I've known people who have had shingles. They've said in no uncertain terms that anything you can do to avoid it, you should. The shot is proven safe and effective.

I didn't need to hear anything more. So much in life is a risk/benefit decision. This was about as close to a sure thing as you ever get. I went for it.

As with investing and RE in general, your own risk tolerance comes into play, as does your prediction on your own future health. I'd think of the doctor like a FA. You may or may not agree with all of what he suggests.

[Edit: I almost never recommend going against competent medical advice. Medical doctors are well trained, experienced, and usually have the patient's best interest at heart. I hesitate to compare them to FA's, but I don't know how else to say that, just this once, I'd disregard that particular doctor's advice.]
Old 10-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #291
Recycles dryer sheets

I also know people who have suffered with shingles. I got the original vaccine and now Shingrix. My Medicare part D plan didn't pay for it so I paid $320 out-of-pocket. Knowing that I am now very unlikely to ever go through that pain is well worth the cost.

My doctor also strongly recommended that I get the the Shingrix vaccine at my last physical. I could have done it in his office but I found out after not doing so that it would have cost me $60 more due to the addition of an 'administration fee' which was not charged at my pharmacy.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #292

Saw my doctor yesterday for the "wellness check". His only recommendation was for me to definitely get the new shingles vaccine. I asked him if I could get it at the office but he recommended I get it at our regular pharmacy. I called the pharmacy and added out name to the waiting list (currently about 200 names on the list).
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #293
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Our doc told us he feels we should wait to get this since it’s a new vaccine. We’re in our late 50’s. I guess he feels he wants to see how things go with it and make sure there aren’t unanticipated side effects.

You kind of have to wait a little while till you can find some doses, but I think your DR is a real outlier if he worries getting the vaccine will be worse then actually getting shingles.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post

He might be on to something.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #295
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
He might be on to something.
....or that person might get shingles and regret it for the rest of their life. My brother lost partial eyesight in one eye from a shingles bout.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
....or that person might get shingles and regret it for the rest of their life. My brother lost partial eyesight in one eye from a shingles bout.
Roll the dice. At least you got it on the table. Yes, The dr could very well indeed be on to something

Despite all the stories about shingles it is overwhelmingly not life threatening. It is a massive nuisance. Also, if action is taken early, it can be severely staunched. Playing russian roulette with a brand new drug is not necessarily better than what will almost certainly be a nuisance illness that can be otherwise treated.

Rest of the story:

I have been harmed beyond recovery by routinely prescribed pharmaceuticals. More than once. Still waiting to get the disease they were trying to prevent. One way to know the risk is overhyped: They're wanting you to buy something and it's urgent. And most will not get shingles. And most shingles will come a cropper and even more so if the person does something about it. Risk! fear! Risk! Fear! I am a statistic

Just today I called around to all the drug stores nearby. None of them have Shingrix AND they don't do Zostavax any more. What's with that?

P.S. Given the history of this I will not be responding to anything else on this thread.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #297

Quote:
Just today I called around to all the drug stores nearby. None of them have Shingrix AND they don't do Zostavax any more. What's with that?
https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...r-50-years-age

“Due to high levels of demand for GSK’s Shingrix vaccine, GSK has implemented order limits and providers have experienced shipping delays. It is anticipated these order limits and shipping delays will continue throughout 2018.”
Old 10-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Roll the dice. At least you got it on the table. Yes, The dr could very well indeed be on to something

Despite all the stories about shingles it is overwhelmingly not life threatening. It is a massive nuisance. Also, if action is taken early, it can be severely staunched. Playing russian roulette with a brand new drug is not necessarily better than what will almost certainly be a nuisance illness that can be otherwise treated.

Rest of the story:

I have been harmed beyond recovery by routinely prescribed pharmaceuticals. More than once. Still waiting to get the disease they were trying to prevent. One way to know the risk is overhyped: They're wanting you to buy something and it's urgent. And most will not get shingles. And most shingles will come a cropper and even more so if the person does something about it. Risk! fear! Risk! Fear! I am a statistic

P.S. Given the history of this I will not be responding to anything else on this thread.
If course you won't be responding...you already told us what the last word is....curious why you wasted your time calling drugstores
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 PM   #299
Give me a forum ...

I asked about it. Our physician recommended against getting the vaccine so I have not pursued it further.

Plus, I am really put off by all the marketing for third product on the media. Just as I am by all the prescription drug adverts.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #300

I'm glad the media is pushing vaccinations. It helps all of us.

Last year something like 80,000 people died from the flu. Vaccination rates were down.

It's always easier to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt than facts. Kudos to the media for trying.