New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Absolutely not. The data I uncovered in my search in the VAERS database eliminated any doubt I had that my deafness and tinnitus were indeed a direct result of the Shingrix vaccine. It wasn't just the high percentage of deafness cases which occurred following the Shingrix vaccine out of the deafness cases following all vaccines. It was also the descriptions of the symptoms among those who attributed their deafness to the Shingrix vaccine. There was a consistent pattern of the symptoms beginning within 24 hours of having received the vaccine.

Please let us know if it resolves this time.I hope you see improvement.

The tinnitus which I first experienced the day after I got the Shingrix shot has unfortunately returned, as my ENT warned might happen. It returned last week and this time it has not gone away. The idea that I may have to live with this forever is depressing.

My DH got tinnitus from influenza. He has been taken a supplement called Taurine which was recommended by a doctor friend which has really helped with the ringing of the ears. DH takes three 1000 mg pills of Taurine a day. The ENT doctor scoffed at the Taurine but it has really helped DH. The other things that help DH with the tinnitus are : avoiding all caffeine, avoiding all aspirin (even in cremes like Bengay) and reduction of stress to the extent possible. Hope this helps.

interesting. When we got our first one at Rite Aid it was delayed by a few months. They told us they would not schedule anyone for the first shot until they were certain when the second batch would come in. They then reserved the second batch for people who they had given the first shot and gave the leftovers to people needing a first shot.

Ray
This sounds way too logical & responsible.

ms gamboolgal and I got our 1st shot today. Go back in afew months for the 2nd one.

Our son had Shingles in his mid twenties - and it was terrible for him.

For us, we choose to take the vaccine.

Slightly off topic, but when Mrs Wino and I got our second shingles dose, the pharmacist highly recommended that we come back and get the measles vaccine in a few weeks because of our age. Apparently, if you were vaccinated as a child in the early to mid sixties, you probably need a booster because the vaccine at that time was not very good.

So, because measles seems to be a thing again, we both got the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) shots yesterday, with no issues or reaction for either of us.

-Wino

my 94 yo father has been suffering with a case of shingles for the past 3 weeks. Of course Zostavax wasn't released to market until he was 81 and his doctor never encouraged him to get the shot. I mistakenly assumed he had received it at some point in the last decade. He took a week of antivirals but he originally went to a urgent care and they thought it was a skin rash as ti was in the early stages so it was almost 2 weeks in before he went to his regular doc and got the correct diagnosis.

wmc I am so sorry to hear your 94 year old father is suffering from shingles. I was so sick when I had a bad case of shingles at age 50 I think I would not have survived it had I been in my 90s. If he is in a great deal of pain and cannot sleep he might want to get a prescription for gabapentin, that helped me with the pain and helped me sleep. If he continuers to have nerve pain after the rash heals, lidocaine patches (you can get ones with more lidocaine by prescription) might help. I am so sorry for your dad.

Slightly off topic, but when Mrs Wino and I got our second shingles dose, the pharmacist highly recommended that we come back and get the measles vaccine in a few weeks because of our age. Apparently, if you were vaccinated as a child in the early to mid sixties, you probably need a booster because the vaccine at that time was not very good.

So, because measles seems to be a thing again, we both got the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) shots yesterday, with no issues or reaction for either of us.

-Wino
Interesting.

They’ve had a pretty good outbreak in Southern France. According to the CDC, people born after 1957 should get a booster shot. Well I remember having the measles at maybe 7 or 8, never vaccinated, but, you know, without getting tested to absolutely confirm my childhood memory, I decided to get the booster. DH being several years older is considered not to need it.

Interesting.

They’ve had a pretty good outbreak in Southern France. According to the CDC, people born after 1957 should get a booster shot. Well I remember having the measles at maybe 7 or 8, never vaccinated, but, you know, without getting tested to absolutely confirm my childhood memory, I decided to get the booster. DH being several years older is considered not to need it.

Better safe than sorry.:) There is a fairly large community of anti-vaxxers in our area, so it is ripe for an outbreak. Now that summer is here, I figure that one unfortunate trip to Disneyland by some unvaccinated locals is all that it would take.:(

Finally got our second shots a couple weeks ago. Took a while to find it at local pharmacies, but we were persistent. Arms hurt for a little while. Other than that no ill effects. Watched a dear friend go through a severe case of shingles - upper chest and back, neck, scalp. Way too close to her eyes which was the big fear. Now, since her case was so severe, even a year out, she still has some remnant pain. So glad the new, more effective version is available now.

I visited four pharmacies in NW Portland yesterday for the first shingles shot, two agreed to put me on a long list. At the recommendation of one pharmacy, I visited the hospital pharmacy in the neighborhood. They made an appointment for me that coincides with a physician's appointment in the same building.

I had my shingles episode last year while in Alaska. Very painful. Kept me from working out for a few weeks. Crescent shaped area across my right abdomen. No residual pain, but it still feels 'weird' when I touch it.

Just got our #2 Shingrix at our local Rite Aid pharmacy, forgot about the sting in this vaccine! But far better than shingles or the neuralgia pain.
We are all up to date as of now :)

The supply is still not looking good in my neck of the woods, none of the pharmacies have it in stock, the big pharmacy in town stated they don't expect to get a new supply in until January 2020.

Just a note to those “looking for vaccine availability”, Minuite Clinic, within certain CVS pharmacies has inventory and you schedule your visit on line. Not all CVS stores have a minute clinic and those that do don’t necessarily have the vaccine through the pharmacy. They are totally seperate. ( google Minuite Clinic locations). Once you find one, they will reserve the second dose and schedule your second shot at the time that you have your first shot. They also email confirmation of your appt and a call from the clinic as a redundant reminder. We had our second dose today. Sore arm, but we are done.

Last edited:

I got the same recommendation from my doc the last time I saw him, and the rationale was that if I had any contact with young children it would be advisable to protect them (not me).

I got the same recommendation from my doc the last time I saw him, and the rationale was that if I had any contact with young children it would be advisable to protect them (not me).

I guess that makes sense. Kids have less developed immune systems, and higher immunization rate = better herd protection. I actually think I had measles (along with mumps and chicken pox) as a kid, but since my mother has long passed, I can't confirm that. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

........I decided to get the booster. DH being several years older is considered not to need it.

That's our situation as well. My wife born after '57 and not knowing for certain whether or not she had the vaccine or the measles went ahead and got another MMR which her ACA policy paid for. My PCP said that according to the CDC since I was born before '57 I am presumed to be immune either because I had the measles or was sufficiently exposed to the virus from others during early childhood.

DGF, DB and I received our first Shingrix shots today. Some soreness in my arm, but no pain for the other two.
The vaccine is plentiful now by us and we expect to receive our second shots in 2 months.
No cost for DB and I using Florida Blue through the ACA plan. $45 for DGF using MA.

DW got her shot today. She had been on a looong waiting list with no progress and I got a call that my second shot was available. I'd actually already gotten my second shot so I asked if she could take this one and they agreed. :dance:

She reports slight soreness. Now to see if flu like symptoms occur over the next few days.

This afternoon I called Costco in Scottsdale, AZ about the Shingrix vaccine and was told they have a lot of it on hand and I could stop by any time and get it. My drug policy is with Blue Cross - Blue Shield of Arizona and I called them to get the location nearby that has the best price. Costco and CVS were the same at $144.12. Walmart was at $148.52. I zipped up to Costco and they charged me $164.50. I told them I had been quoted $144.12 by BCBS. They double checked and $164.50 is what their computer system charged. I returned home and called BCBS and after a long conversation with the very helpful customer service representative and another call back to Costco we figured out they charged me an additional $20.50 (approximately) because I didn't have a doctor's prescription in hand. The BCBS customer service rep also called Walmart and they charge a fee for writing the prescription and it's around $25.

The BCBS customer service rep also told me that if you have the shot at a doctor's office the billing falls into the health insurance side of things and Medicare doesn't pay for this service. And since BCBS Medicare supplemental health insurance only pays for procedures that Medicare covers they won't pay for it either. So if you're on Medicare you want to be sure to have the drug given to you at a pharmacy rather than your doctor's office so your drug insurance will pay for it, assuming it's on their list of approved drugs. This may vary from one drug insurance policy to another. I know for a fact that BCBS drug insurance will cover the whole bill including the prescription fee because my bill was already in their system when I called them. They only see the final price and that's what they will pay.

As always, it's a good idea to call your drug insurance company and make sure you understand what they'll pay for and what they won't.

One last thing. I also called the local CVS pharmacy and the woman there told me they won't have any Shingrix until next January. She wasn't aware if CVS charges an additional fee to issue a prescription if you don't have one. Like Costco, the person behind the counter just enters the drug and other information into their billing system and it determines what the customer will be charged. And like Costco, the cashier at CVS has no idea if an additional fee is included for writing the prescription or not.

This afternoon I called Costco in Scottsdale, AZ about the Shingrix vaccine and was told they have a lot of it on hand and I could stop by any time and get it. My drug policy is with Blue Cross - Blue Shield of Arizona and I called them to get the location nearby that has the best price. Costco and CVS were the same at $144.12. Walmart was at $148.52. I zipped up to Costco and they charged me $164.50. I told them I had been quoted $144.12 by BCBS. They double checked and $164.50 is what their computer system charged. I returned home and called BCBS and after a long conversation with the very helpful customer service representative and another call back to Costco we figured out they charged me an additional $20.50 (approximately) because I didn't have a doctor's prescription in hand. The BCBS customer service rep also called Walmart and they charge a fee for writing the prescription and it's around $25.

The BCBS customer service rep also told me that if you have the shot at a doctor's office the billing falls into the health insurance side of things and Medicare doesn't pay for this service. And since BCBS Medicare supplemental health insurance only pays for procedures that Medicare covers they won't pay for it either. So if you're on Medicare you want to be sure to have the drug given to you at a pharmacy rather than your doctor's office so your drug insurance will pay for it, assuming it's on their list of approved drugs. This may vary from one drug insurance policy to another. I know for a fact that BCBS drug insurance will cover the whole bill including the prescription fee because my bill was already in their system when I called them. They only see the final price and that's what they will pay.

As always, it's a good idea to call your drug insurance company and make sure you understand what they'll pay for and what they won't.

One last thing. I also called the local CVS pharmacy and the woman there told me they won't have any Shingrix until next January. She wasn't aware if CVS charges an additional fee to issue a prescription if you don't have one. Like Costco, the person behind the counter just enters the drug and other information into their billing system and it determines what the customer will be charged. And like Costco, the cashier at CVS has no idea if an additional fee is included for writing the prescription or not.

I have Florida Blue and had the shot at Walgreen's.
One - the doctor's office didn't carry the vaccine and said they couldn't carry it.
Two - I didn't need to show any doctor's prescription in order to get the shot.

We have Kaiser Permanente. When I switched to Medicare last October Kaiser paid for The Shingrix vaccine. They said all immunizations are covered by Medicare in full. Other plans may vary but it’s their coverage at no cost to the patient. If you have to pay & you are covered by Medicare you might want to check with your provider.

Got a call yesterday from CVS that the second shot was available. 100% covered by insurance.

I got my second shot last week. For the first shot I had just the soreness around the injection site. For this one I did feel bad the next day, Very tired and out of it. Was fine the next day. I had to pay full freight both times, once with BC and once with Aetna.

Back
Top Bottom