Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got round 2 Wednesday. Like Hermit above described, headaches, fever, and some muscle soreness. This time the muscle soreness was in the legs, after shot 1 soreness was in neck/back and legs. I slept a lot. As far as arm soreness, only when somebody touches the shot area.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #422
Full time employment: Posting here.

The tinnitus which I first experienced the day after I got the Shingrix shot has unfortunately returned, as my ENT warned might happen. It returned last week and this time it has not gone away. The idea that I may have to live with this forever is depressing.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:45 PM   #423

No reaction to either the first or second shot except for mild arm soreness for 1 or 2 days.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethum View Post
The tinnitus which I first experienced the day after I got the Shingrix shot has unfortunately returned, as my ENT warned might happen. It returned last week and this time it has not gone away. The idea that I may have to live with this forever is depressing.
Sorry this happened again ..maybe it will lessen or go away, does this in any way change your feelings that the vaccine was probably the reason it happened?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Sorry this happened again ..maybe it will lessen or go away, does this in any way change your feelings that the vaccine was probably the reason it happened?
Absolutely not. The data I uncovered in my search in the VAERS database eliminated any doubt I had that my deafness and tinnitus were indeed a direct result of the Shingrix vaccine. It wasn't just the high percentage of deafness cases which occurred following the Shingrix vaccine out of the deafness cases following all vaccines. It was also the descriptions of the symptoms among those who attributed their deafness to the Shingrix vaccine. There was a consistent pattern of the symptoms beginning within 24 hours of having received the vaccine.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely not. The data I uncovered in my search in the VAERS database eliminated any doubt I had that my deafness and tinnitus were indeed a direct result of the Shingrix vaccine. It wasn't just the high percentage of deafness cases which occurred following the Shingrix vaccine out of the deafness cases following all vaccines. It was also the descriptions of the symptoms among those who attributed their deafness to the Shingrix vaccine. There was a consistent pattern of the symptoms beginning within 24 hours of having received the vaccine.
Please let us know if it resolves this time.I hope you see improvement.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:29 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My DH got tinnitus from influenza. He has been taken a supplement called Taurine which was recommended by a doctor friend which has really helped with the ringing of the ears. DH takes three 1000 mg pills of Taurine a day. The ENT doctor scoffed at the Taurine but it has really helped DH. The other things that help DH with the tinnitus are : avoiding all caffeine, avoiding all aspirin (even in cremes like Bengay) and reduction of stress to the extent possible. Hope this helps.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #428
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR7 View Post
interesting. When we got our first one at Rite Aid it was delayed by a few months. They told us they would not schedule anyone for the first shot until they were certain when the second batch would come in. They then reserved the second batch for people who they had given the first shot and gave the leftovers to people needing a first shot.

Ray
This sounds way too logical & responsible.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #429
Recycles dryer sheets

ms gamboolgal and I got our 1st shot today. Go back in afew months for the 2nd one.

Our son had Shingles in his mid twenties - and it was terrible for him.

For us, we choose to take the vaccine.
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #430
Recycles dryer sheets

Slightly off topic, but when Mrs Wino and I got our second shingles dose, the pharmacist highly recommended that we come back and get the measles vaccine in a few weeks because of our age. Apparently, if you were vaccinated as a child in the early to mid sixties, you probably need a booster because the vaccine at that time was not very good.

So, because measles seems to be a thing again, we both got the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) shots yesterday, with no issues or reaction for either of us.

-Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #431

my 94 yo father has been suffering with a case of shingles for the past 3 weeks. Of course Zostavax wasn't released to market until he was 81 and his doctor never encouraged him to get the shot. I mistakenly assumed he had received it at some point in the last decade. He took a week of antivirals but he originally went to a urgent care and they thought it was a skin rash as ti was in the early stages so it was almost 2 weeks in before he went to his regular doc and got the correct diagnosis.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

wmc I am so sorry to hear your 94 year old father is suffering from shingles. I was so sick when I had a bad case of shingles at age 50 I think I would not have survived it had I been in my 90s. If he is in a great deal of pain and cannot sleep he might want to get a prescription for gabapentin, that helped me with the pain and helped me sleep. If he continuers to have nerve pain after the rash heals, lidocaine patches (you can get ones with more lidocaine by prescription) might help. I am so sorry for your dad.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Slightly off topic, but when Mrs Wino and I got our second shingles dose, the pharmacist highly recommended that we come back and get the measles vaccine in a few weeks because of our age. Apparently, if you were vaccinated as a child in the early to mid sixties, you probably need a booster because the vaccine at that time was not very good.

So, because measles seems to be a thing again, we both got the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) shots yesterday, with no issues or reaction for either of us.

-Wino
Interesting.

They’ve had a pretty good outbreak in Southern France. According to the CDC, people born after 1957 should get a booster shot. Well I remember having the measles at maybe 7 or 8, never vaccinated, but, you know, without getting tested to absolutely confirm my childhood memory, I decided to get the booster. DH being several years older is considered not to need it.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #434
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting.

They’ve had a pretty good outbreak in Southern France. According to the CDC, people born after 1957 should get a booster shot. Well I remember having the measles at maybe 7 or 8, never vaccinated, but, you know, without getting tested to absolutely confirm my childhood memory, I decided to get the booster. DH being several years older is considered not to need it.
Better safe than sorry. There is a fairly large community of anti-vaxxers in our area, so it is ripe for an outbreak. Now that summer is here, I figure that one unfortunate trip to Disneyland by some unvaccinated locals is all that it would take.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #435
Confused about dryer sheets

Finally got our second shots a couple weeks ago. Took a while to find it at local pharmacies, but we were persistent. Arms hurt for a little while. Other than that no ill effects. Watched a dear friend go through a severe case of shingles - upper chest and back, neck, scalp. Way too close to her eyes which was the big fear. Now, since her case was so severe, even a year out, she still has some remnant pain. So glad the new, more effective version is available now.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #436
Give me a forum ...

I visited four pharmacies in NW Portland yesterday for the first shingles shot, two agreed to put me on a long list. At the recommendation of one pharmacy, I visited the hospital pharmacy in the neighborhood. They made an appointment for me that coincides with a physician's appointment in the same building.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #437

I had my shingles episode last year while in Alaska. Very painful. Kept me from working out for a few weeks. Crescent shaped area across my right abdomen. No residual pain, but it still feels 'weird' when I touch it.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Just got our #2 Shingrix at our local Rite Aid pharmacy, forgot about the sting in this vaccine! But far better than shingles or the neuralgia pain.
We are all up to date as of now :-)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #439

The supply is still not looking good in my neck of the woods, none of the pharmacies have it in stock, the big pharmacy in town stated they don't expect to get a new supply in until January 2020.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine
Old 06-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #440

New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Just a note to those “looking for vaccine availability”, Minuite Clinic, within certain CVS pharmacies has inventory and you schedule your visit on line. Not all CVS stores have a minute clinic and those that do don’t necessarily have the vaccine through the pharmacy. They are totally seperate. ( google Minuite Clinic locations). Once you find one, they will reserve the second dose and schedule your second shot at the time that you have your first shot. They also email confirmation of your appt and a call from the clinic as a redundant reminder. We had our second dose today. Sore arm, but we are done.