Nice summary from Ways and Means on proposed changes to ACA released today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are that poor, they pay nothing

WHat if they aren't quite that poor? They'd your strawman would be wrong.

My brother was that way. Relatively Low wage job. Paid out of pocket for insurance and was poor. He didn't qualify for any wonderfully free medical are the way everybody who fancies themselves as "rich" or "deservedly well-off" seems to think. One reason he was poor was from dutifully buying medical insurance at market rates.

Deciding on who does or who does not get health care is simply just wrong! If you cannot afford it, you are being denied it.
It is called playing with peoples lives. Some things should just be available to all, regardless of income. MAKE IT WORK!!!

So a young person decides not to have healthcare, gets hit by a truck, incurs $1m in bills. That I not right either.

Deciding on who does or who does not get health care is simply just wrong! If you cannot afford it, you are being denied it.
It is called playing with peoples lives. Some things should just be available to all, regardless of income. MAKE IT WORK!!!

So a young person decides not to have healthcare, gets hit by a truck, incurs $1m in bills. That I not right either.

Our country already decided that no one would be denied lifesaving medical attention. Yes, the cost is incurred by the rest of paying patrons (but there is no administration team through the government adding THEIR cost to it, by the way). So your play to emotion is wrong. Now, the fact that they may have to file bankruptcy because they had no insurance, that's another issue that may or may not be due to poor decisions made throughout life.

WHat if they aren't quite that poor? They'd your strawman would be wrong.

My brother was that way. Relatively Low wage job. Paid out of pocket for insurance and was poor. He didn't qualify for any wonderfully free medical are the way everybody who fancies themselves as "rich" or "deservedly well-off" seems to think. One reason he was poor was from dutifully buying medical insurance at market rates.
what is his income? It's not qualify for free. You just walk in and they provide care. They don't hand out a free care card. Lots of hispanics people were there. I have no idea whether they are illegals or not, but a lot of them didn't speak English. I saw a young American guy there with his mom for checkup, something minor. So everybody gets treated, just the wait is very long.
In fact, my husband had good insurance but he had to wait for 7 hours for some MRI. Why? His condition was not serious enough, the gangsters with more serious gunshot were treated first. Finally after 7 hours, I threatened to leave before they stitch my husband up.
Same with hospital in our county. He shared a room with a homeless guy, the guy told him he was homeless, that's how he knew.

It is, they get it free in California. I don't think hospitals are allowed to turn people away.

I just think that everyone should have proper healthcare, I thought that was the job of the powers that be to make sure it all worked and no one was left out. The amount of stress alone incurred by a lot of folk wondering where it would come from and not going to the doctor because they do not know if they could afford the follow ups or whatever contributes to the problem.

Yes we cannot deny care but who ends up paying for emergency room patients and Medicaid patients that have been denied Medicaid? Someone does, putting up prices for those who pay. Making it all equal for all is the solution even though some do not like the idea. It is cheaper in the long run. If one does not like the standard healthcare for all, then it is ones prerogative to buy better.

I really think basic healthcare is a right, so I am biased. And having lived in 3 countries that have provided it, makes me spoilt I guess. I am just aghast at the way it is approached in this country is all, when we are supposedly richer than all the others combined.

I am just aghast at the way it is approached in this country is all, when we are supposedly richer than all the others combined.
Fine, noted. Be aghast. But that wealth has a cause, it should not be assumed to be the natural state of things. If you've traveled a bit, then you know that already.

The ER.org moderator team finds that this thread has wandered off topic. Therefore this thread is now closed.

We understand that the Affordable Care Act and the proposed American Health Care Act are important topics of discussion for early retirees. In future ACA and AHCA threads, please keep the discussion to aspects of the acts. Please refrain from personal opinions of individual rights and similar political statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom