Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #41
gone traveling

Any one have their cataract removed via laser? As I understand it, laser allows for cleaner incisions, less chance of damage from breaking up and removing the cataract, and lower chance of infection. It supposedly does cost several hundred $s more, but if it reduces the risk of a negative outcome, it would seem a small cost to pay.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Any one have their cataract removed via laser? As I understand it, laser allows for cleaner incisions, less chance of damage from breaking up and removing the cataract, and lower chance of infection. It supposedly does cost several hundred $s more, but if it reduces the risk of a negative outcome, it would seem a small cost to pay.
If given any choice involving any reduction of risk, I'd definitely go for it.

I don't remember what my surgeon used and the paperwork he gave me that explained the surgery, is not at hand at the moment.

It might have been laser since he does a lot of LASIK surgery too. Or not. Basically, the entire procedure was less than 7 minutes while I was stoned to the gills on extremely calm due to the Versed anesthesia. I remember a lot of "look at the light", and then it was over.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did, it was LensX technology. It was highly recommended but I have nothing to compare it to. My post-op visits the Optometrist raved over the lack of swelling. I'd do it again.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #44

Although traditional cataract surgery is probably one of the most successful ever (98% success rate), if it makes you more at ease the laser option is probably worth considering.

However, you ought to check insurance coverage first. Yours may not handle it.

Also, be aware that we're talking about an incision that is not much more than one millimeter in length, using extremely specialized and sophisticated tools, so the difference is certainly small.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Although traditional cataract surgery is probably one of the most successful ever (98% success rate), if it makes you more at ease the laser option is probably worth considering.

However, you ought to check insurance coverage first. Yours may not handle it.

Also, be aware that we're talking about an incision that is not much more than one millimeter in length, using extremely specialized and sophisticated tools, so the difference is certainly small.
I am not sure how much extra it costs over what the insurance pays, still need to get that info at my pre-surgery appointment next Monday. Since I already have an epiretinal membrane issue and diabetes, anything that would minimize inflammation and infection should be a good thing and worth paying extra.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I was offered the laser removal option. It was not covered by my insurance and IIRC, it was $2,000 per eye (I'm in NYC).

When I asked my surgeon what the advantages of the laser, he just shrugged. He is an experienced surgeon and I was confident in his use of the traditional ultrasound method. I had no problems with the surgery.

Cataract removal is very safe, but there are risks. I understand wanting to reduce that risk. Talk to your surgeon. Since you have some existing eye problems, I wonder if insurance will cover the laser.

Good luck.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 AM   #47
gone traveling

In reading over some of the information I was given, it stated that you need to keep your head upright for 24 hrs after surgery. I presume this is to minimize any risk of the lens shifting. Did others that have had implants get this instruction, and just wondering how the heck to you sleep to avoid your head shifting to the side?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

No, I didn't get that instruction but you should probably do what your surgeon wants you to do.

For me, they said to rest, not lift anything heavy, and basically just not do much. I was told I could go to sleep that night with the eye protector thing over my eye. It's not easy to sleep with an eye protector almost like a colander taped over your eye, though. No weight lifting at the gym for quite some time.

Here is a link to a post has an image attached showing a similar colander-like eye protector:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1641420

Old 02-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No, I didn't get that instruction but you should probably do what your surgeon wants you to do.

For me, they said to rest, not lift anything heavy, and basically just not do much. I was told I could go to sleep that night with the eye protector thing over my eye. It's not easy to sleep with an eye protector almost like a colander taped over your eye, though. No weight lifting at the gym for quite some time.

Here is a link to a post has an image attached showing a similar colander-like eye protector:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1641420
That eye cover always reminds me of the film "The Fly".

I had similar instructions to yours. Take it easy, no heavy lifting. The one exception was not to bend over "deeply" for the first day or two - that is, no bending to pick up things from the floor.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I had similar instructions to yours. Take it easy, no heavy lifting. The one exception was not to bend over "deeply" for the first day or two - that is, no bending to pick up things from the floor.
That's all I had too. I was banned from the gym for a week or two.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes, I had that too, I think. Either that, or I read it on the internet and decided on my own not to bend over to pick things up. I've forgotten. I was so concerned/terrified about the possibility of retinal detachment (which runs in my family), that I pretty much just sat in my easy chair for the first week. I did read somewhere (doctor's instructions? internet?) that is was OK to tie my shoes. But still, I didn't bend over to do that; I bent my leg so that I could lift my foot up onto the sofa seat while sitting there, and tied my shoes in that position without bending over.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #52
Administrator

The Ophthalmologist that worked on me did surgeries one morning per week. The next morning, we all went in for the first post op checkup. When he looked at me he was shaking his head. He told me that the lady he had just seen took off the eye cover because it was uncomfortable and replaced it with gauze. When she decided to change the gauze the next morning, it was stuck, so she just pulled it off .. along with the new lens.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Ophthalmologist that worked on me...
I hope there is no relationship between your eye surgery experience and your choice of avatars.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #54
Administrator

<rimshot>
Old 02-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I hope there is no relationship between your eye surgery experience and your choice of avatars.
I am not sure who his avatar is, maybe blind mellow chitlin
Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #56
gone traveling

Had my pre-op appointment yesterday. I have a new eye drop to take for the next week before my right eye gets fixed. They told me, as far as the laser surgery goes, they do not typically do that unless a patient has a fair amount of astigmatism, and I have very little, so it will be standard surgical technique for me. Also, asked about the dropless procedure and apparently they make a decision during the operation for it or not, so I won't know the answer to that until I am in recovery. Right now the biggest worry for me is keeping my head upright while I heal.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I know what you mean! It probably won't be as hard to do as it sounds, though.

I think I kept my head upright all the time for at least two weeks after my surgeries, other than when sleeping. My doctor was so adamant about rest that I just sat in my easy chair, surfed the internet, watched TV, and played video games. Major couch potato time. I did get pretty weak from doing nothing but it was a good exchange for the much improved vision.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #58
gone traveling

That lounging around also bothers me. It took me quite a while to get back in shape after my hospitalization last fall, and now it looks like I will be repeating that process. Oh well, being able to see certainly outweighs the future reconditioning that will be needed.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #59
gone traveling

Had surgery on my right eye a few hours ago. Everything seemed to go smoothly; was a little surprised about the amount of dilating drops and numbing gel they put in my eye. As far as anesthesia goes, I didn't really feel it do much, since I was totally awake during the procedure, but absolutely no pain. Now I have my eye patch which will stay on until my checkup tomorrow and I believe it will also need to be worn at night for a while. I think they gave me the dropless procedure, but will find out for sure tomorrow. Hoping thats the case.

The whole thing was definitely much easier than I anticipated and now I am looking forward to seeing what my vision will be like with the patch off and after the all the eye dilation drops wear off. It was so easy it makes me wish I didn't have to wait 3 more weeks to get the other eye done.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Had surgery on my right eye a few hours ago. Everything seemed to go smoothly; was a little surprised about the amount of dilating drops and numbing gel they put in my eye. As far as anesthesia goes, I didn't really feel it do much, since I was totally awake during the procedure, but absolutely no pain. Now I have my eye patch which will stay on until my checkup tomorrow and I believe it will also need to be worn at night for a while. I think they gave me the dropless procedure, but will find out for sure tomorrow. Hoping thats the case.

The whole thing was definitely much easier than I anticipated and now I am looking forward to seeing what my vision will be like with the patch off and after the all the eye dilation drops wear off. It was so easy it makes me wish I didn't have to wait 3 more weeks to get the other eye done.
Hurray!! I'm so glad your surgery went well. Maybe if you have written post-surgical instructions, they will say whether or not you need to continue your eyedrops between now and your checkup tomorrow.