Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My BIL and SIL, niece and nephew live in a tiny village in the Dolomite Mountains in Italy about an hour from Bologna. We've visited many times over the years. People live on their own into the 90's. They walk the mountains, they carry groceries, they live simple lives and eat fresh food produced in the right time of year. They care for each other, check on each other every day or every few days. Many elderly live alone, but the community is there. Their needs are minimal but they enjoy wine, fresh pasta, vegetables and communicate with each other, sit and play cards, talk, share coffee and pastries. It's a slower life, but a longer life.

No one can tell me that cannot be done here. We have vast resources to simulate this lifestyle. America grew up too fast. New houses might last 30 years, maybe 40 without a major remodel or teardown. What happened to the simple life? My SIL and family live in a 200 yr. old house and it's on the newer side.

Healthcare is not "free" in Italy because they pay higher taxes. But no one pays directly for medical care. No one goes bankrupt from a medical issue. Careful planning goes into finances and the retirement age is rising.

I consider that way of living wise. Why must we be busy every minute of the day?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Again, Single Payer works. BUT for some reason we are so afraid of the "T"(ax) word, that we seem to be very happy to give way more money to an Insurance company than pay 1/5th the amount we give them in extra taxes. It really does not make sense to me as one who has actually experienced 2 single payer systems before emigrating to the USA. What the difference is between a profit based company making decisions on our healthcare, than a single dedicated funded government department making them is, I do not know.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Again, Single Payer works. BUT for some reason we are so afraid of the "T"(ax) word, that we seem to be very happy to give way more money to an Insurance company than pay 1/5th the amount we give them in extra taxes. It really does not make sense to me as one who has actually experienced 2 single payer systems before emigrating to the USA. What the difference is between a profit based company making decisions on our healthcare, than a single dedicated funded government department making them is, I do not know.
There are so many examples of government waste, that it would take too long to answer this. It's a fundamental or dare I say, ideological difference I think as to who can take care of the market place better, government or private...
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
There are so many examples of government waste, that it would take too long to answer this.
Implicit in that statement is that the private sector is less wasteful than government. IME, that's not true, the private sector is just subject to less oversight.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I love the idea of single payer, but everyone does understand how they have to operate to at least try to remain solvent?

There is always some form of gatekeeper deciding whether or not the plan even covers a specific treatment or medication.

Such a plan would never cover those "live a few months longer with your advanced cancer by paying 6-figures for our medication" treatments seen advertised on TV here in the U.S.

I believe covering the most people at the lowest cost makes that an acceptable trade-off, but it's clear reading the posts here many would not agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 essentially "society" would make those difficult decisions since "society" is paying for it... hopefully balancing humanity and economics..... that would be fine with me as I believe that we spend too much trying to prolong life where there is poor quality of life.... and those who have the means and want to spend their money on expensive treatments to prolong their life a little would be free to do so if they wish.
Hence, most countries with universal healthcare allow supplemental insurance so people who want to pay for additional care can get it, whether it really helps them live longer or not. Hope springs eternal. It's a reasonable solution, I think.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

The Private system will ONLY work if it is NOT FOR PROFIT.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Still, it is questionable even with 'not for profit' organization, not long ago I read that Goodwill CEO get paid million(s). Hmm, my donation helps pay that guy.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by neihn View Post
You are absolutely right. Still, it is questionable even with 'not for profit' organization, not long ago I read that Goodwill CEO get paid million(s). Hmm, my donation helps pay that guy.
How much should the CEO of an organization with 100,000 employees and revenue of $3 billion dollars get paid? I don't have the answer, but not for profit doesn't mean no salaries.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #89

I'm not even going to offer my opinions. A lot of them have already been covered.

I just think it's great that we're able to have a civil discussion, without the usual politics around this subject. In the US today, this sort of debate usually ends up as nothing but name-calling and hurling around empty (and often untrue) talking points.

There ARE facts out there, and varying degrees of opinion about which are most important. If everyone interacted like this, we COULD solve this problem.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
How much should the CEO of an organization with 100,000 employees and revenue of $3 billion dollars get paid? I don't have the answer, but not for profit doesn't mean no salaries.
I wonder that too, however, keep in mind that all that revenues came from donations.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I just think it's great that we're able to have a civil discussion, without the usual politics around this subject.
Careful or you'll jinx it...
Old 12-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm not even going to offer my opinions. A lot of them have already been covered.

I just think it's great that we're able to have a civil discussion, without the usual politics around this subject. In the US today, this sort of debate usually ends up as nothing but name-calling and hurling around empty (and often untrue) talking points.

There ARE facts out there, and varying degrees of opinion about which are most important. If everyone interacted like this, we COULD solve this problem.

Well I blame the stupid Republicans... no wait that's not right.

Oh yeah, I blame the dopey Democrats... no wait that doesn’t sound right either.

I know, it is the idiot Independents that should be boiled in oil... darn, that still hits me as wrong.

Got it. Like Shakespeare said, "kill all the lawyers"!

Guess I’ll have to leave it there...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hence, most countries with universal healthcare allow supplemental insurance so people who want to pay for additional care can get it, whether it really helps them live longer or not. Hope springs eternal. It's a reasonable solution, I think.
Agree. Universal single payer to cover the basics and if you want more (or faster) you pay for it. Effectively that’s how it works in Canada. If we want more we can just drive across the border to the US and pay for it. It’s surprisingly inexpensive to pay cash for “a la carte” service.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #94

Quote:

Is there really a case where someone is absolutely refused lifesaving care due to no insurance? I have always been under the impression that part of the reason our HC insurance and medical costs are so high is that they have to cover the uninsured through the insured and paying?
depends on how you classify, life threatening... if you don't treat diabetes, chrones, asthma, cancer, cystic fibrosis, etc, you will die eventually; however, does that mean they have to provide you the meds and ongoing care to make sure it doesn't get to that point? I know before the ACA people were on heart transplant lists that had hearts but didn't have the money to pay for the transplant and were denied and died. ie I had always assumed one of the biggest reasons HC insurance was so high was because people had to wait till they were dying to get treatment, vs. getting the meds/care to treat the disease so it never got to that point. Now I know there are people in the ER these days just to get prescriptions, we live in a non-expended medicare state, so I'm assuming those people do not have insurance and are getting 'basic" care via the ER still.

I know this because when I went to the ER last year, they asked if I was there to get a script...and, of course, I was bewildered by the question.. ie who in the world would go to the ER to get a script.. OHHHH.wow. very enlightening trip. BTW, was told not to go to the ER on Mondays if I could avoid it, um yeh because I plan my ER trips, took 12 hours before I was seen and only there because Urgent care couldn't treat me and had to refer me over.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Supplemental insurance seems like a no-brainer with medicare. 1) Sign up for medicare, 2) get supplemental F (or is that now G?) plan, 3) don't worry about unexpected surprises.

Wonder why no such market is considered for non-medicare insurance.

Who knows maybe such a market will happen if the ACA mandate is gone and health insurance becomes optional .
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #96
gone traveling

Yes. I'd love to save everyone..... I'll stop here to avoid Porky.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #97

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Implicit in that statement is that the private sector is less wasteful than government. IME, that's not true, the private sector is just subject to less oversight.
+1
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #98

Health care is a huge issue. I decided to go back to work.[emoji853]
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I like it.

You could order an appendectomy online and a Dr. could show up at your house within two hours, let himself in using a special door code, and do the surgery on your kitchen counter. The reduced overhead cost would allow for a huge savings!
If Amazon have anything to do with it, a drone will show up to your house and perform the surgery via remote control

Quote:
Yes. I'd love to save everyone..... I'll stop here to avoid Porky.
There's a way to talk about emotive subjects like this one, without inviting Porky, if you take a little time to think about it. This thread has already covered the subject of "gatekeepers" who decide what procedures will and won't be covered. That happens regardless of how the coverage is paid for. It's very legitimate, IMO, to talk about an overall "wellness" approach involving greater education and other systemic approaches to encourage folk to live more healthily.

I think it was my brother-in-name, Capt Tom, who expressed pleasant surprise at how this subject has been discussed here without serious discord. I concur. It's really great to see an intelligent discussion that doesn't deteriorate into name calling and broad generalizations. Another reason I need to spend less time on FB!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #100

Quote:
You do not know that.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote