predict back to get worse...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

predict back to get worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Why is that?
MF,

In my case it has to do with a congenital problem in the lower lumbar region, specifically a wedge disk. A normal backbone has fairly uniform shaped bones that protect the spinal cord. The curve is seen only from a side view. The wedge -shaped bone in my lumbar region, around #7, shifted everything to the left viewed from behind and slightly rearward viewed from the side. (It makes lumbar-style chairs uncomfortable as you might imagine.) It sounds worse than it is. But doctors tell me that arthitus [sp?] will probably begin it's ugly work starting in that area. At 61, other than spells of spasms and a few siatical events, I feel pretty lucky overall. But the next 30 years could spell trouble. That's why I try to stay fairly active.

I have been lucky to have had several very good orthopedic surgeons through the years give me pretty consistent advice, the first one in the navy, for dealing with the problem. Stay away from the knife, deal with pain with exercise, heat and drugs in that order, and don't become a back invalid. Suck it up!

Time will tell whether serious complications await me further down the road, but right now I don't have time to dwell on it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

ok...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

ok...

sorry to hear that dwk...

if you have a moment, google pete egoscue. it's worth a shot.

he has a book, "pain free" which is worth a look. and a forum, though i've never been on it.

he's PT'd a lot of athletes, and a lot of people with structural pain. and done a lot of rehab, for people who've had compromising situations.

there are other avenues if it's not, in the future, genuinely a surgical situation. including a good qi gong program. but, simple is best, at the beginning.

i've not done any of egoscues' work, formally. but he comes with good recs.

contact me if you want.

obviously, i, or anyone, can't guarantee a thing. at the same time i was once told i would never walk without pain again, by an osteopath. and i'm doing martial arts, still after more than 30 years, and not in pain. go figure.

best...
hopingtomakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Have you looked at Jolie Bookspan's blog? She's come back from similar injuries and her stretches/exercises/lifestyle advice have helped others with chronic pain.

The Fitness Fixer
Thanks for the link Nords. I went to the web site, then to Amazon and ordered three of her books. I have not read through all them yet but she seems like she knows what she's talking about, and has helpfull things to try..............shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I forgot all about Egoscue. His book helped me keep the pain in check for many years. I need to go check the bookcase to see if I still have it.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Progress on back surgery
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Progress on back surgery

Its almost 6 weeks since surgery and things have gotten much better, although there was a rough 4-5 weeks in the beginning. After surgery, I still had significant/constant pain even while taking my spasm/pain meds. About a week ago, the spasms started to return -so I decided to call my doc and headed to the ED.

While in the ED in got some really good IV drugs and it was great to be pain -free even if it was only for a couple of hours. I was also given IV steroids and started on a Met pack. A week later, my resident pain is tolerable -- I've reduced my pain meds --I'm not using my walker and I'm feeling much better.

I want to thank everyone for their messages, certainly my bad body mechanics have contributed to my back/neck problems -- but I believe the primary culprit was significant trauma in the past. Got hit in the head by a tree (a whole different story) and a nasty fall that started my lower back problems.

Hoping to start PT soon and work on better/smarter body movements. I may have someone else work on the boat and cars.

dwk
dwk is offline   Reply With Quote