Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I received my electric kettle today and just boiled some water with it. Man is it fast. The thing can bring 1 liter of water to a boil in about 2 minutes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I received my electric kettle today and just boiled some water with it. Man is it fast. The thing can bring 1 liter of water to a boil in about 2 minutes.
Yep electric kettles are great. And I like the design of the kettle you chose.

Got some PG Tips at Whole Foods today. I can't wait to see what the fuss is all about.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, they are amazing. It's one of those things that once you get one, you wonder how you ever lived without one.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yes, they are amazing. It's one of those things that once you get one, you wonder how you ever lived without one.
+1

Our microwave sits on top of our refrigerator, and it's really too high for me, but I rarely use it. I bought our electric tea pot to avoid dumping boiling water on myself. I had no idea I'd use this tea pot so much for other things!

For example, when we are boiling pasta I fill the tea pot up, put a little water in the pasta pot, and then dump in the boiling water from the tea pot into the pasta pot in about 2 minutes. Sure speeds that process up. I didn't say that very well, but what I'm trying to say is I use the tea pot to get a jump start on boiling the pasta water.

I use what's left over in the tea pot to clean out my foo-foo-hand-wash-only skillet from the breakfast scrambled eggs. Speeds that up too.

And whenever I have some hot water left over, I dump it down a sink - that helps melt away any icky goo forming down in there.

Thank me later.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Yep electric kettles are great. And I like the design of the kettle you chose.

Got some PG Tips at Whole Foods today. I can't wait to see what the fuss is all about.
The one I got kinda reminds me of a black coffee pot. Which I like.

Some of the reviews on Amazon said there is no indication when the boiling is done, but there definitely is with a light that goes off and the audible click of the on/off switch.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And whenever I have some hot water left over, I dump it down a sink - that helps melt away any icky goo forming down in there.
Great idea. to melt away all that gunk
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had a 9:30 morning dental appointment (regular cleaning and examination), then after lunch went to the grocery store and picked up a few things.

At the store (Aldi) I picked up a box of green tea and thought I'd give it a try when I get home. Back in the day, when I was w*rking, I was too much in a rush to sit and relax and drink a good cup of hot tea. Well, that green tea is good stuff! On top of that, I like that the tea bags are individually wrapped to seal it the freshness.

I just might get used to being a green tea drinker. Not only for the health benefits but the feeling is peaceful.

Now, I'm looking for a decent tea kettle. Are electric kettles the way to go?

I would recommend a stainless steel kettle to boil water over a conventional stove. Mighty Leaf brand offers an amazing selection of green, black, and white teas. I love their selection. Enjoy. Try the Chocolate Mint Truffle green tea by Mighty Leaf. You will send me a "Thanks!" after you've tried a cup. It's not sweet at all. It just has the lovely scent of chocolate and mint but it's truly tea --- no sugar or anything added. Let me know how you like it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds great "Chocolate Mint Truffle"