Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
HEB has a really nice line of lightly flavored sparkling waters. We're partial to the orange flavor. I like the Perrier with lime.

You can always squeeze a little lemon or lime in your plain sparkling water - that's very easy.

I will definitely check out HEB. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I love science and hate the bad rap it's getting from politicians. Hearing, "i'm no scientist but...." from a politician is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Meanwhile I blame much of these pseudo health studies for the continuing disrespect science is getting. There are an awful lot of people who can't see through the fog and use these studies to justify dismissing anything science based. Oh well.
If scientists don't like the bad rapp and disrespect they get from these studies, maybe they should stop doing bad science? Seeing through the fog isn't a one-way street. If little or no fog is being generated and --SOLD-- the non-scientists general population won't ave such a hard time seeing through it

Scientists and their Science as Religion worshipers don't get much more credibility from me than any other politician or businessman seeking to use their position to like their pockets and increase their own image

Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM   #23
Administrator

I hardly drink diet soda any more at all.

I don't buy it to drink at home, because it is a lot to lug home from the supermarket for zero calories and it isn't that good for me anyway.

Sometimes I order one at a restaurant, maybe once a month or so. But restaurant diet sodas make me cough for some unknown reason, plus restaurant prices for diet soda are completely insane/exorbitant ($3 for a diet Coke? Really? ) so I usually just order tap water.

So good! I am glad that *if* this is a problem, it isn't one for me to worry about. I agree that the study was apparently very poorly done. I am always concerned about strokes because my brother had several debilitating strokes in 2002, at only age 60, and has been in a care facility ever since that time as a result.

Retired in 2009 at age 61.

Mini-pension 16%, SS 26%, investments 58%.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #24

Doomed I tell you, we're all doomed!!

On the brighter side, based on my Diet Coke intake, I won't have the faculties to be bothered when the end finally comes.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, my belly ache each time I had (quit diet soda a while ago) wasn't just in my mind after all?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
If scientists don't like the bad rapp and disrespect they get from these studies, maybe they should stop doing bad science? ...
But is this study "bad science"? I tend to discount a lot of studies, but this one was striking - they saw 3x increase in strokes and dementia (not the 33% increase OP stated, which would be 1.33x). Sure, it doesn't make a cause-effect connection, but I'm not going to ignore a 3x affect either. And this is on one diet soda a day, I know people who drink far more than that.

I think this connection deserves added study. But that is hard to do with conditions that take decades to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I never liked the taste of diet sodas, and regular sodas are way, way too sweet. So I enjoy sparkling water, sometimes with a splash of fruit juice like pomegranate. Very satisfying. Otherwise, sure, water.

I think you can wean yourself off of sweet tasting drinks. It's gotta be better for you.
+1 No cream/sugar in my coffee, and if I want a sparkly beverage that isn't beer or champagne, I choose soda water, maybe with a little lemon or lime or a squirt of some sort of juice, or the Le Croix brand, with flavoring, but no sweetener.

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

So is it the soda that turns your brain to mush, or the artificial sweetener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But is this study "bad science"? I tend to discount a lot of studies, but this one was striking - they saw 3x increase in strokes and dementia (not the 33% increase OP stated, which would be 1.33x). Sure, it doesn't make a cause-effect connection, but I'm not going to ignore a 3x affect either. And this is on one diet soda a day, I know people who drink far more than that.

I think this connection deserves added study. But that is hard to do with conditions that take decades to show.

+1 No cream/sugar in my coffee, and if I want a sparkly beverage that isn't beer or champagne, I choose soda water, maybe with a little lemon or lime or a squirt of some sort of juice, or the Le Croix brand, with flavoring, but no sweetener.

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So is it the soda that turns your brain to mush, or the artificial sweetener?
FWIW, they said they didn't see this in the sweetened soda drinkers.

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think this connection deserves added study. But that is hard to do with c, or the Le Croix brand, with flavoring, but no sweetener.

-ERD50
wow good catch. 3x is alarming. I don't know how I read a 1/3 increase into that. Of course that seems strange as well. How did such a massive effect go unnoticed?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #30

Quote:
FWIW, they said they didn't see this in the sweetened soda drinkers.

-ERD50
Oh goody! Latest study shows sugar isn't that bad after all

(Doesn't do sugar or artificial sweeteners)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:14 PM   #31

I'm glad I'm a water drinker. We don't buy soda. We tend to have fruit juice from the actual fruit. (Buy oranges, and squeeze to make OJ.) The kids are also water drinkers. They bring water bottles (reusable ones) to school and to sports.
I've never felt comfortable with the artificial sweetners or HFCS...

That said - don't take away my coffee!!!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Drink beer instead!
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Drink beer instead!
The only time I drink diet anything it's mixed with Jack Daniel's. That probably lessens the risk of dementia.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Oh goody! Latest study shows sugar isn't that bad after all

(Doesn't do sugar or artificial sweeteners)
Actually, they found other problems with the sugar sodas, but the stroke/dementia link was not there, or not so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Drink beer instead!
OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
wow good catch. 3x is alarming. I don't know how I read a 1/3 increase into that. ....
Umm, maybe the effects of Splenda?

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm glad I'm a water drinker. We don't buy soda.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That said - don't take away my coffee!!!!!
"To infinity…and beyond!" Buzz Lightyear

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

My company provides free soda, and I used to drink one diet Dr. Pepper a day as an afternoon treat. Then one day I thought, "Why do I consider pouring this can of manufactured chemicals into my body to be a "treat"? Manufactured chemicals can be useful as medicine, but as a treat? So no more, I'll just have some tea, thank you.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
.......... I don't know how I read a 1/3 increase into that...........
Have you been drinking diet soda?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #38

Quote:

-ERD50
Is this study bad science? The population was limited to one town, based on a a previous study done 10 years prior about soda consumption, at that time, and then 10 years later followed up for who had strokes and did not follow soda consumption or diet over the next 10 years. Furthermore it was 3 percent of the participants who had a stroke or 128 of the slightly more than 4,000 people. How you make scientific assumptions over cause in a small population scientifically of 128 people is very questionable. Here are what some of some food scientists are saying about the “study’, which I would call click bait at it’s finest for the media industry.

What the Experts Say About Flawed Diet Soda and Stroke Study
Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

All I know is that I bought the "reduce your fat intake" hook, line and sinker. Latest study about that hogwash was the final straw. Now, DW and I am on a low carb diet with amazing results (losing about 1.5 lbs a week!).

I no longer fear eggs, butter, red meat and cream. Goodbye "white water" (1% milk), hello the real stuff! I eat until I am gently full, and am rarely hungry between meals.

Unrelated, I gave up the 20-32 oz. a day diet drink habit about 8 months ago (unrelated to low carb diet). Have maybe had one diet soda a month since. Really don't miss it, except the caffeine.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Is this study bad science? The population was limited to one town, based on a a previous study done 10 years prior about soda consumption, at that time, and then 10 years later followed up for who had strokes and did not follow soda consumption or diet over the next 10 years. Furthermore it was 3 percent of the participants who had a stroke or 128 of the slightly more than 4,000 people. How you make scientific assumptions over cause in a small population scientifically of 128 people is very questionable. Here are what some of some food scientists are saying about the “study’, which I would call click bait at it’s finest for the media industry.

What the Experts Say About Flawed Diet Soda and Stroke Study
But I don't think they are trying to draw definitive conclusions from this - they are reporting what they found. And a 3x factor seems like something that deserves attention. I don't think that is "bad science".

Many important advances came from some one simply noticing something (penicillin, vulcanization of rubber, etc). We don't call that "bad science", we call it observation. Then the observation gets followed up with more studies and experiments. Plenty of room for bad science in all that, but I would not call this observation bad science, unless they weighted it beyond what you can draw from all the limitations of the data set. I don't see where they are doing that.

-ERD50