Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Now diet drinks cause strokes and dementia
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now diet drinks cause strokes and dementia

So now we have two new studies showing that diet sodas and juices and sugar laden juices are associated with higher rates of dementia. One claimed a 33% relative increase for stroke and dementia over ten years with as little as one diet soda a day. (That one didn't find a problem with sugar). These studies are irritating. Researchers just mine the Framingham data-set and pull out correlations. Then they speculate - maybe it is real cause and effect, maybe the unhealthy cohort switched to diet drinks in a vain attempt to stave off consequences, maybe... This is the same technique that shows weight gain from diet drinks. Argh, switch to water only? Forgo my morning coffee with cream and Splenda? Switch to Stevia? - but who knows what the correlation correlates to? This is all over the news so we will be hearing about it for a while.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it seems whatever agenda someone has they can find data to manipulate any way they want to support it. Whether it's to make a buck by getting grant money or some ideology they're pushing, the data can be twisted in favor or against anything.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Can't count the number of times we've been in the checkout line behind huge people who have a cart loaded with artificial 'food'......and always the obligatory case of 'diet' soda.......dementia already at work?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Yeah, it seems whatever agenda someone has they can find data to manipulate any way they want to support it. Whether it's to make a buck by getting grant money or some ideology they're pushing, the data can be twisted in favor or against anything.
Next study: Swallowing saliva causes cancer!
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's been 14 months since I last had a diet soda, and never did like sugary sodas much. I wonder what disease I'm in for by upsetting my body chemistry by changing my diet?
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Next study: Swallowing saliva causes cancer!
Face it - living kills you.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Latest study: "Living increases your chances of dying to 100%."
Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Dementia seems to be the No. 1 fear these days, so all the scare-mongers are linking everything to it, while the snake-oil (coconut oil) mongers are all claiming their particular nostrum will cure or prevent Alzheimer's.

I remember when everything was said to either cause, or prevent, cancer. Nobody used to mention dementia.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

It is confusing and that is why I am a JERF.

JERF - Just Eat Real Food

What is real food? My definition is that the food should be as close as reasonably possible to the way it came out of the ground or off the animal. IMHO, that leaves a lot of room for various ways of preparing, combining, mixing and cooking the food.

What is reasonable? I figure it's something that my grandmother could have done to the food in her kitchen 50 to 100 years ago. I don't have to do it myself, it's just that she could have done it. For example, churning milk into butter passes my reasonable test. Adding another hydrogen atom to seed oils to create trans-fats does not. That's me. Your definition of reasonable may differ.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

What is real food? My definition is that the food should be as close as reasonably possible to the way it came out of the ground or off the animal. IMHO, that leaves a lot of room for various ways of preparing, combining, mixing and cooking the food.
+1

And IMHO, diet sodas are just about the polar opposite of real food. I haven't had one in probably 5+ years, and I have maybe 2 or 3 sugary sodas per year.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's not just diet soda that's not good for you!

Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day, coroner says | Fox News

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
These studies are irritating. Researchers just mine the Framingham data-set and pull out correlations. Then they speculate - maybe it is real cause and effect, maybe the unhealthy cohort switched to diet drinks in a vain attempt to stave off consequences, maybe... This is the same technique that shows weight gain from diet drinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
So, what... are we saying there is no objective truth and researchers should just give up looking for it? This whole idea that all data is "relative" and just something to be manipulated to push an agenda speaks to a lack of understanding of how peer-reviewed research works. Generally, before a team of scientists publishes the results of a study, it has to pass muster with disinterested 3rd party anonymous reviewers who can challenge the findings, the methodology, the interpretation of the results, etc. Sure, sometimes this process doesn't work perfectly and bad data gets through... but what is the alternative?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Researchers just mine the Framingham data-set and pull out correlations. Then they speculate...
Personally, I ignore "health studies" like this. Playing with statistic just doesn't hack it anymore.

Maybe someday science will get back to the scientific method - that includes testable predictions.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
It is confusing and that is why I am a JERF.

What is reasonable? I figure it's something that my grandmother could have done to the food in her kitchen 50 to 100 years ago. I don't have to do it myself, it's just that she could have done it. For example, churning milk into butter passes my reasonable test. Adding another hydrogen atom to seed oils to create trans-fats does not. That's me. Your definition of reasonable may differ.
+2

It's amazing what you can come up with using primary ingredients. A little seasoning can make all the difference.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So now we have two new studies showing that diet sodas and juices and sugar laden juices are associated with higher rates of dementia. One claimed a 33% relative increase for stroke and dementia over ten years with as little as one diet soda a day. (That one didn't find a problem with sugar). These studies are irritating. Researchers just mine the Framingham data-set and pull out correlations. Then they speculate - maybe it is real cause and effect, maybe the unhealthy cohort switched to diet drinks in a vain attempt to stave off consequences, maybe... This is the same technique that shows weight gain from diet drinks. Argh, switch to water only? Forgo my morning coffee with cream and Splenda? Switch to Stevia? - but who knows what the correlation correlates to? This is all over the news so we will be hearing about it for a while.
I never liked the taste of diet sodas, and regular sodas are way, way too sweet. So I enjoy sparkling water, sometimes with a splash of fruit juice like pomegranate. Very satisfying. Otherwise, sure, water.

I think you can wean yourself off of sweet tasting drinks. It's gotta be better for you.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So I enjoy sparkling water, sometimes with a splash of fruit juice like pomegranate.
+1.

My fave - sparkling water with orange or grapefruit flavor like Perrier. I should try making my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Can't count the number of times we've been in the checkout line behind huge people who have a cart loaded with artificial 'food'......and always the obligatory case of 'diet' soda.

+1

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
+1.

My fave - sparkling water with orange or grapefruit flavor like Perrier. I should try making my own.

HEB has a really nice line of lightly flavored sparkling waters. We're partial to the orange flavor. I like the Perrier with lime.

You can always squeeze a little lemon or lime in your plain sparkling water - that's very easy.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #19

I love science and hate the bad rap it's getting from politicians. Hearing, "i'm no scientist but...." from a politician is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Meanwhile I blame much of these pseudo health studies for the continuing disrespect science is getting. There are an awful lot of people who can't see through the fog and use these studies to justify dismissing anything science based. Oh well.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I love science and hate the bad rap it's getting from politicians. Hearing, "i'm no scientist but...." from a politician is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Meanwhile I blame much of these pseudo health studies for the continuing disrespect science is getting. There are an awful lot of people who can't see through the fog and use these studies to justify dismissing anything science based. Oh well.
+1000!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote