Join Early Retirement Today

Now this is a diet
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Now this is a diet

Health Blog : The Michael Phelps Diet: Don't Try It at Home
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Or the "Jelly Donut" equivalent...

The Tour de France--In terms of jelly donuts

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Only two cups of coffee--how does he get by on so little?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Damn! That takes a lot to feed that machine.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The Navy's SEAL students pass or fail Hell Week by how quickly they can shovel down the food and metabolize it. With all the exercise and lack of sleep, once they get behind it's very hard to recover from the lack of glycogen.

Normally a submarine goes to sea with about 110 submariners on board and about a half-dozen cooks to feed them. When a SEAL team embarks on a submarine, it's another 12-18 guys-- but the submarine force has learned to send along an extra 3-4 cooks to keep up with their calorie consumption. I've been told that about the only thing that grosses out a submarine machinist's mate is watching a SEAL eat.

I can only imagine how boring a five-hour workout gets. If there's anything worse, it'd be telling myself "Only four years to go!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Normally a submarine goes to sea with about 110 submariners on board and about a half-dozen cooks to feed them. When a SEAL team embarks on a submarine, it's another 12-18 guys-...

I can only imagine how boring a five-hour workout gets. If there's anything worse, it'd be telling myself "Only four years to go!"
OK, now picture those extra 12-18 guys all trying to do 5 hour workouts while underway. On a fast attack, without that roomy missile space. It gets crowded fast.

"I realize this looks like a nice empty space to work with your barbell sets, but there's a reason this little space is sort of empty. There's a fricking nuclear reactor right under you."

Then there was the impromptu sauna in the engine room...

More tales from the USS Parche...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Phew, at least boomers have the sherwood forest 1/8 mile running track, right?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
OK, now picture those extra 12-18 guys all trying to do 5 hour workouts while underway. On a fast attack, without that roomy missile space. It gets crowded fast.
And then it's time to clean weapons!!

Don't miss them that a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
More tales from the USS Parche...
Egad, you didn't just serve onboard-- you did hard time. Slower than a boomer with all the creature comforts of a fast attack... yikes. Hopefully the trauma is fading by now.

Scheduling that slow boat was the bane of our existence at CSP 1992-94. The staff "Special Projects" guy was practically living behind the SPECOMM cypherlock for his entire tour, including nights & weekends. Every time that boat had an ORSE our staff was filling the passageways with sweat.

Good friend of ours took her into the decom drydock a few years ago-- that was his underway in command.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Scheduling that slow boat was the bane of our existence at CSP 1992-94. The staff "Special Projects" guy was practically living behind the SPECOMM cypherlock for his entire tour, including nights & weekends. Every time that boat had an ORSE our staff was filling the passageways with sweat.

Good friend of ours took her into the decom drydock a few years ago-- that was his underway in command.
This is an English speaking forum, please...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is an English speaking forum, please...
Sorry, got carried away.

Boomer: ballistic missile submarine. Top speed slightly "in excess of 25 knots", but generally full of "creature comforts" like porcelain toilets and plenty of extra volume.

Fast attack: hunter/killer and intelligence-collecting submarine. Top speed greatly "in excess of 25 knots", except for PARCHE, but like living in a Ferrari. With a month's groceries under the floormats.

CSP: Staff weenie Commander Submarine Force Pacific Fleet-- Operations Department.

"Special Projects": Can't discuss that here.

SPECOMM: SPEcial COMMunications room where we, uh, did the, uh, special communications with the, uh, crew of the, uh, "special projects" boat. It was behind not one and not two but three cyper locks.

ORSE: Operational Reactor Safeguards Exam. The nuclear inspection that was the bane of M Paquette's (and every other nuclear submariner's) existence. Kinda like that "Last Act of Defiance" cartoon of the little field mouse giving the finger to the eagle swooping down for the kill.

Sweat: What staff weenies do when the Chief of Staff is wondering if PARCHE is going to pass the ORSE that they can't afford to fail.

Decom: The drydock used to defuel and decommission nuclear submarines. My friend didn't make the cut for a full command tour so he was given the "choice" of taking PARCHE up the river to their decommissioning. Drydock, especially decom, is so bad that it makes submariners long for a six-month Western Pacific deployment. Or in PARCHE's case, as long as it takes...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fast attack: hunter/killer and intelligence-collecting submarine. Top speed greatly "in excess of 25 knots", except for PARCHE, but like living in a Ferrari. With a month's groceries under the floormats.
More like living in a VW Westfalia camper with two dozen of your closest friends. Riding down the road with the top up. With Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem stuffed in the back. Which made those ORSE boards extra fun.

Special? Please. Deep sea oceanographic research. Says so right here on the letter from the Prez I hung in my office.

In an unrelated matter, a long time back I was watching one of the first Stargate SG1 episodes, in which two of the characters get a presidential award of some sort for their work in 'deep space radar telemetry'. I sprayed coffee out my nose and was coughing for three minutes after that. My son looked at me funny and asked if that was like my letter?

But the food was good. It's amazing how long you can keep an egg 'fresh'. The passageway leading to the mess deck, and pretty much every compartment in that area had it's deck covered with cans, topped with a layer of planks. If the cooks started building a second layer, like in early 1982, you knew you might want to pack extra.

The cooks were excellent, and could definitely deliver the calories. You could work up an appetite doing all that oceanographic research. Yepper. If you didn't work out, you could easily gain 15 pounds in three months. I finally figured out that there just might be some sort of cause and effect there.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I was aboard the USS Midway (decommissioned aircraft carrier) last week in San Diego. It normally had a crew of 4,500 with more cooks (225) than pilots(200). Other food facts:

10 tons of food daily
13,500 meals served daily
3,000 potatoes daily
1,000 loaves of bread daily
4,500 lbs of beef when served
500 pies when served
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I loved all the comments from the WSJ reader. The sales guys at the Journal always were boast how smart and rich the readers were as they tried to get me to run ads in their paper, clearly things have changed.

This is my favorite which I am 99% sure was tongue-in-cheek but prompted a wrath of criticism.

Quote:
Michael Phelps is eating WAY more than his share of the world’s food. People are STARVING in Africa and Haiti and Somalia because he is eating so much. And he is winning FAR more medals than seems fair to other athletes. How inconsiderate.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I didnt get past the part where he puts lettuce, tomato and mayo on a fried egg and cheese sandwich.

I'm surprised to see he's from Maryland and now lives in Michigan. My guess would have been California, since they want to put lettuce, tomato and mayo on everything.

Every order a pastrami sandwich and end up with that stuff on it? Disgusting!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I didnt get past the part where he puts lettuce, tomato and mayo on a fried egg and cheese sandwich.
That got to you also! Actually the Michael Phelps diet is helping me. Every time I think of going to fridge to snack I think of eating 5 of those egg, cheese and ugh Mayo sandwich and I lose my appetite.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Or you could try "I can eat this, but then I have to do a couple of laps of butterfly in a minute and a half.

When I took the advanced swimmer certification as a teenager, I could manage one lap. It took awhile. And I was ready to drop dead when I was done.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #17

I'm sorry guys, I have a confession to make. In my defense, I grew up in upper michigan, which is pretty much canada but without any jobs... and we all know that they put mayo on everything in canada (ref 'The Whole Nine Yards').

I use a lot of mayo. Well, Miracle Whip usually, but that's right there in the mayo family.

I love mayo on a fried egg sandwich (what do you guys use?). Toast the bread, fry the egg, pepper well, mayo, lettuce, tomato and bacon and you're good to go.

Many days for lunch at the cafeteria downstairs I'll get a turkey burger with mayo and bbq sauce. Mayo and bbq sauce work very well with fries also.

I've been known to have a mayo and pb sandwich but not in quite a few years.

Of course, you've got to have mayo in the tuna salad

and most meat sandwiches get some whole grain dijon mustard and mayo.

I'm hungry now.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna hurl.

Butter and cheese go on the egg sandwich. And bacon.

And lettuce and tomato arent supposed to go on a hot sandwich. Gross. Ewww! ICK!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #19

Wait for the egg to cool down then!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Oh yummy. Cold congealed eggs with mayo on them.

BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGG GGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!