Join Early Retirement Today

NPR article on health care data collection
Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

NPR article on health care data collection

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ise-your-rates

It’s likely been happening for years. Nonetheless I thought this article was worth reading
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Care to summarize and highlight the point, or your perspective, that's most relevant to the forum?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I wasn’t sure how to phrase the comment so as not speak about the political nature of the state of health care. I guess it is what it is.

Should healthcare return to a “pre ACA” people would likely be disqualified by insurance companies based on pre existing conditions.

Data collection is obviously a concern. Building a profile on you. Looking at where you reside, speculating on your life choices and the corresponding health impacts that “MIGHT” occur. Heck, what next? Analyzing your grocery receipts to see if you buy a lot of chips and soda vs. fruits and vegetables? HIPPA information is protected. However, what would happen if the company you had insurance with while employed offered plans on the open market. They would have a complete dossier on your medical life.

I don’t consider myself a conspiracy theorist but the implications of data collection is scary.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, typical article about gloom and doom based on personal data collection of peoples habits and color of their underwear. The article is full of "he said", "she said" and very little, if any solid facts.

Nothing new here.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My megac*rp insurance company offered financial incentives if one provided a laundry list of biometrics. While I did participate, I did wonder when/where the next level of intrusion would occur. My thinking is that until (if/when) the practice of collecting health data is stopped by a legal challenge, that genie ain't getting back in the bottle on her own. I did find it both intrusive and slightly offensive. I opted out for several years, but pimped myself when the bribe got north of $1K. So maybe I'm a whore, but I have my price.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It is kind of scary. We choose to live in a small rental in a middle class location. We would be considerate upper middle class but choose not to live in a upper middle class location. Does this mean we aren't healthy and inactive? No. We walk at least 5 miles a day. Seems a little bit over reaching into our private lives to me.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
The company says it uses the information to link patients' medical outcomes and costs to details like their level of education, net worth, family structure and race. An Optum spokesman said the socioeconomic data is de-identified and is not used for pricing health plans.
Of course consumers should be very confident that this information will not be mis-used, as that is the straight and narrow path of honesty all corps are on.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
From the article:

Of course consumers should be very confident that this information will not be mis-used, as that is the straight and narrow path of honesty all corps are on.
My home and auto insurance rate is partially based on my FICA score as the insurance company feels this is a strong indicator of risk, so I can certainly see where they would data mine to find other correlations for health care spending.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

So, to point out the elephant in the room...

Life choices DO impact health care costs. Is it wrong to factor that in to rates?

I have no easy answers, just asking the question.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Insurance companies spend billions on technology. It's sad how much data is acquired by them.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Life choices DO impact health care costs. Is it wrong to factor that in to rates?

+1. Obviously how to factor choices into rates is complicated, and few of us could be objective about what's appropriate. But the underlying issue is the cost of US health care is just very high, as compared to all other developed countries, but no one wants to confront that specific issue - ACA certainly didn't, thanks to special interests.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
... We would be considerate upper middle class....
That's the best kind of upper middle class.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Obviously how to factor choices into rates is complicated, and few of us could be objective about what's appropriate. But the underlying issue is the cost of US health care is just very high, as compared to all other developed countries, but no one wants to confront that specific issue - ACA certainly didn't, thanks to special interests.

Not only is health care expensive in the US, the care doesn't rank that high. We're ranked in the ~37th place by the WHO. In fairness, I suspect that number is also driven by the lifestyle choices of so many Americans (overweight/obese, poor diet, sedentary, etc).
Old 07-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:

Choices, and level of wealth. The wealthiest tend to be the healthiest.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:

There is no way to know if a choice impacts a specific person in any particular way. At least in many of these so-called life-style choices. A business model and any law of large numbers one would use at the profit end, simply cannot apply at the individual level. But it is a convenient business device used to grab money and make it look like it makes sense. That's how numbers work. Or can be made to work.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.........Life choices DO impact health care costs. Is it wrong to factor that in to rates?.................
Wait until they get your DNA data and punish you for a poor choice of grandparents.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #17

Quote:

I'm sure parents of a toddler with cancer or a heart deformation would beg to differ.

And I'm not picking a fight - I get what you're saying. But you just can't explain the horrors you see in any children's hospital, and most of those have nothing to do with what they ate or smoked.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #18

And what happens when the data is wrong?

Ever tried to rectify an error in your credit report?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
There is no way to know if a choice impacts a specific person in any particular way. At least in many of these so-called life-style choices.
Indeed. A fitness instructor should pay the same HC premium as an overweight, chainsmoking, alcoholic skydiver...only fair.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Indeed. A fitness instructor should pay the same HC premium as an overweight, chainsmoking, alcoholic skydiver...only fair.
From the article:

Quote:
Low-income and a minority? That means, the data brokers say, you are more likely to live in a dilapidated and dangerous neighborhood, increasing your health risks.