Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
After a little thought I would think it would be relatively easy to disable texting while in motion using GPS or position to cell towers.
What about passengers in the car? or on a train?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
But like some others, I don't understand how hands-free phone calls are any better or worse than talking to a passenger(s) while driving. Either can be an intense and equally distracting event no?
I don't understand gravity either, but I can't deny it exists. You can read up on it, there is a big difference.

Quote:
And I see they've excluded GPS units. As much as like having GPS, it can be more of a distraction than a hands free phone call IMO, especially in traffic.
Agree.

RE: disabling phone in motion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Right. The more I think about it, I like my idea of a "DRIVE MODE" for phones. Like "Airplane Mode" turns off all RX/TX, the "DRIVE MODE" would only allow you to receive a short message from the sender (could use speech synth for text). No sending at all when in DRIVE MODE. Maybe even limit those messages to one/minute, and X/10 minutes, and Y/hour?

If a cop stops you, the UI should be standard to be able to show the times you were in DRIVE MODE. And if you pulled over to answer, it would show that you were stopped when you took it out of DRIVE MODE.

Can I patent that?

-ERD50

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I guess I am looking for statistic to show that cell phone is serious cause of death of injury in the US. Cause frankly when I look at the data I just don't see it.
Well, if we are going to deny the existing evidence and wait for the "statistics", I certainly think it is the people who are advocating waiting who ought to be the dead people in the lengthy database.

My experiences driving to work and back are all I need to be of the opinion that people cannot text or talk on phones and pay full, uninterruptedly attention to their driving.

If other things are just as bad (changing CDs) these should also be illegal. Phones being OK because other things just as bad are OK doesn't get it with me.

What gripes me is not that there are not specific laws about irresponsible behavior but that there are no real consequences even when there are laws. So the laws are useless.

Signed Tadpole, a cripple since 2000 when she met an irresponsible, overly confident driver head-on.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
gotta love the nanny state we live in

it is already banned, its called distracted driving.. eating, talking, looking at a paper map.
Yeah, but it's rarely enforced and rarely provable with evidence.

Some forms of distracted driving are every bit as dangerous as drunk driving -- but with drunk driving, you have physical evidence (the blood alcohol test reading). If someone is eating, shaving, reading, putting on makeup or anything else distracting at the wheel and gets into a crash, it's much harder to prove because there's no smoking gun after-the-fact physical evidence that someone was indeed *using* those things and not paying attention to the road at the time of the accident. A cop can't merely use the presence of a book or a shaver or a half-eaten cheeseburger as proof because that isn't sufficient evidence (in many cases) to know the driver was distracted by these at the time of the crash.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I guess I am looking for statistic to show that cell phone is serious cause of death of injury in the US. Cause frankly when I look at the data I just don't see it.
Statistics won't tell the story here. You know the rate of accidents and highway deaths where "alcohol is a factor" in any of the involved drivers because there is the physical evidence of intoxication (field test and BAC readings). So when alcohol is a factor, it is reliably included in the statistics. If someone is "attention-impaired" by a cell phone or by eating or whatever else instead of "physically impaired" by alcohol or drugs, it is much less likely to be implicated as a factor in the accident.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with ban them all. We would save millions of barrels of oil every year. The next time your stopped at a traffic light, pay attention to a thing called "gap control". Watch as the cars leave the light and you will see cars that have space for 5 to 10 cars between them and the one in front of them. As a result 50% of the cars that should make the light have to sit and idle waiting for the next light. Almost always it's because someone is yakking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the light changing. I am going to build a cell jammer and zap them so their phone fries.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Well you could disable texting only, you would still be able make a cell call. If you must text while on a auto trip you could pull over and text. GPS may be accurate enough to distinguish that you are on a train via routes. Anyway you would still be able to make a call. Obviously the current laws are not working.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I agree with ban them all. We would save millions of barrels of oil every year. The next time your stopped at a traffic light, pay attention to a thing called "gap control". Watch as the cars leave the light and you will see cars that have space for 5 to 10 cars between them and the one in front of them. As a result 50% of the cars that should make the light have to sit and idle waiting for the next light. Almost always it's because someone is yakking on a cell phone and not paying attention to the light changing. I am going to build a cell jammer and zap them so their phone fries.
I have definitely noticed this phenomena...

And as far as data/statistics, there are plenty. But who hasn't noticed someone wandering across lanes or off the road while playing with a phone? Or someone driving 45mph on a major highway while talking on the phone? Or someone who is clearly not looking down the road because they are playing on a phone? I have seen people drive distracted for other reasons too, but I am not assuming, I have seen phones as the cause many, many times, who hasn't? To assume this doesn't increase the probability of an accident defies reason to me...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

It will never happen. You would also have to ban the following acts: eating, talking, putting on lipstick, shaving, cleaning your glasses, changing the radio station, adjusting your HVAC controls, checking your gas gauge, looking for dash lights, turning on your lights at dusk, using a turn signal, etc..............all of those activities are also distracting.........

Geez, how did we survive over 235 years without the govt doing everything for us?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #30

Would this be a good topic for a poll? I sure know how I would vote.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I guess the lesson is, keep your defensive driving skills in top form! Seriously...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It will never happen. You would also have to ban the following acts: eating, talking, putting on lipstick, shaving, cleaning your glasses, changing the radio station, adjusting your HVAC controls, checking your gas gauge, looking for dash lights, turning on your lights at dusk, using a turn signal, etc..............all of those activities are also distracting.........

Geez, how did we survive over 235 years without the govt doing everything for us?
Just 'cause we can't eliminate all those distractions doesn't mean we shouldn't try to deal with one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess the lesson is, keep your defensive driving skills in top form! Seriously...
So true
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #33

I heard about this on the radio this morning. Seems more than a bit over the top to me. While I can appreciate the ban for texting and handheld cellphone operation, a hands free device shouldn't be banned. Next they will tell us you can't touch your radio or talk to your passengers while the car is moving
Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While I can appreciate the ban for texting and handheld cellphone operation, a hands free device shouldn't be banned. Next they will tell us you can't touch your radio or talk to your passengers while the car is moving
Do some googling, educate yourself on the topic, and then see if you still feel that way.

I know it doesn't seem 'right' to many people, but the studies show there is a big difference between engaging in a hands free call and talking to a passenger in the car or listening to the radio. And the hands free is not much different from hand held in terms of distraction.

If I look around me, the earth seems flat, not round. But we have evidence to the contrary. You can't always go by your first impressions.

-ERD50
Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Do some googling, educate yourself on the topic, and then see if you still feel that way.

I know it doesn't seem 'right' to many people, but the studies show there is a big difference between engaging in a hands free call and talking to a passenger in the car or listening to the radio. And the hands free is not much different from hand held in terms of distraction.

If I look around me, the earth seems flat, not round. But we have evidence to the contrary. You can't always go by your first impressions.

-ERD50
No, I don't plan to do any Googling or futher self education. Just my personal viewpoint which I feel is reasonable. Car manufacturer phone device OK, but hands free no fails my logic test.

As to studies, do you believe everything that has a study associated with it?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Because for most of those 235 years, it didn't include routinely involve being in control of 3000 pound potential weapons going 60 MPH or more, in the close proximity of other people?

It is no longer 1787. What worked then is not always "the right thing" in today's world.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But like some others, I don't understand how hands-free phone calls are any better or worse than talking to a passenger(s) while driving. Either can be an intense and equally distracting event no?
I agree that it's puzzling, but I'm convinced that it's more distracting talking on a phone, even with a hands-free device. Some suggest that because the person in the car is aware of the traffic situation, he/she will shut up when a problem happens. But that doesn't account for the drifting out of the lane type phenomenon.

I suspect that one reason the hands-free-only law passed in California, was that the cell phone manufacturers were salivating at all the hands-free devices they'd be able to sell.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I did find out that this law, if passed, could be a boon to car manufacturers. Apparently, the law would NOT apply to factory installed hands-free systems like Sync (Ford) and others. How would this be ok and bluetooth not??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did find out that this law, if passed, could be a boon to car manufacturers. Apparently, the law would NOT apply to factory installed hands-free systems like Sync (Ford) and others. How would this be ok and bluetooth not??
Campaign contributions? I don't know...

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't care what a study says, as most of us know data can be interpreted in many ways. What I do know is this year I rode my bike over 1,000 and walked many miles as we are a one car family. Despite laws about no hand held cellphones if I had a nickel for every person I saw talking on a handheld, texting, reading maps, fiddling with gps etc I would be rich. My favorites are people who are talking on a handheld phone and don't stop at the stop sign or light before taking a right on red. I have come very close to being hit several times by idiots who are not paying attention.

I just can't believe it is not more dangerous to drive distracted. It makes no sense.