Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hi Moemg,

California within the Sutter health system non union. She has mentioned many nurses coming to CA from different parts of the country. I realize the cost of living is more here that skews the wage. However you can make a good buck here then move out of the state to a cheaper COL area.

I worked in New Jersey for many years and made good money but not that good .When I moved to Florida I was shocked at the wages and the conditions .I've worked 39 years so even for $120 K I'm not coming out of retirement .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I worked in New Jersey for many years and made good money but not that good .When I moved to Florida I was shocked at the wages and the conditions .I've worked 39 years so even for $120 K I'm not coming out of retirement .
Enjoy it all. You nurses work very hard. I rub my wifes feet just about every day. I hear her stories once in awhile and know im my heart its a job I could never do.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
With so many nurses migrating from the Philippines to places like the U.S., it's hard to understand why there's a shortage in America.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My problem with nurses and teachers in Canada, or more specifically their unions, is the behavior whenever they are having difficulty during collective bargaining and are about to strike.

First thing they do is take out ads in the paper and on radio saying that the money is secondary and that their overwhelming interest lies in fighting for the good of the children/patients. I call BS and as a matter of fact I become suspicious that perhaps they are overpaid and know it, otherwise they'd strike with honor as a plumber would. They go on strike because they believe they deserve more money, or better hours, or whatever, and there is never any spin put on it. I can respect that.

In the case of our noble teachers who only go on strike for the good of the precious children. Ever see teachers start a strike anywhere near the end of the school year or continue the strike throughout the summer while losing pay? Me neither.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the things some people talk about is increasing pay for nurses to attract more of them. Personally, I think the pay has risen enough that the main problem is the working condition and hours, not the pay. But hospitals don't function 9 to 5 Monday through Friday, so that's a pretty tough nut to crack.

From a job/career security standpoint, though, there aren't many better occupations to have in the U.S.: you can go almost anywhere in the country, have a pulse, and have multiple job offers with a pretty strong wage very quickly.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Nursing and other health professions have retention problems because they are intrinsically 24 hour businesses. As a physician, I don't want to work nights either. I just finiished working right through Christmas with a bunch of hardworking nursing colleagues, most of whom would rather have been with their families. We're all just sticking it out till we can FIRE.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

How true. I worked all day 12/24 and 12/25 -- sent the DW to visit her elderly Mom.

One nice aspect: the patients and families are sooooo appreciative of your caring for them on holidays or even the wee hours. They say nice things, give hugs, and it feels good.

Many would say, rightly, that we knew what we were getting into when our career choices were made, and that this is all factored in to the reimbursement, etc. But still, being away from friends and family on holidays, awakened from deep sleep at 3 am, and all the other after-hours duties will not be missed in FIRE after 33 years.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Many would say, rightly, that we knew what we were getting into when our career choices were made, and that this is all factored in to the reimbursement, etc. But still, being away from friends and family on holidays, awakened from deep sleep at 3 am, and all the other after-hours duties will not be missed in FIRE after 33 years.
I suppose it's possible that people overestimate their ability to put up with those crappy hours. They know they have to deal with them, but didn't think it would be as hard to cope with as it often turns out to be.

I've never been in the health professions but I've done just enough 24x365 support of mission-critical enterprise computer/database systems and networks for Fortune 100 customers that I can definitely relate. I couldn't wait to jump at a transfer opportunity that let me work "normal" hours again.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

A belated Merry Christmas to all. DH and I just returned home from partying the last three days in the Wash DC area. Now we have to rest up for the New Years Cruise we are taking in a few days. We could not have done any of this during our working years. Makes FIRE worth it. Sure health care workers work crappy hours but then so do police,fire, EMT's and of course lets not for get our men and women in the armed forces to name just a few. I bring this up as a way of saying do not let anyone guilt you into working more that you want to. It is not selfish to bail early when you have paid your dues. Part of that dues paying is enduring crappy working conditions.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is an RN - what a great safety net! Plus not sure she is as interested as I am in ER'ing sooner than later. Could be my ticket to health insurance between ER and Medicare!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Nursing and other health professions have retention problems because they are intrinsically 24 hour businesses. As a physician, I don't want to work nights either. I just finiished working right through Christmas with a bunch of hardworking nursing colleagues, most of whom would rather have been with their families. We're all just sticking it out till we can FIRE.
My wife just worked Christmas eve and Day so we could visit relatives next Christmas. They do have pretty good potlucks on Christmas! I guess a DR brought in some smoked turkeys for the shifts.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Another FIRE RN chiming in.
Until you have done the job, you can't really imagine what it is like. Nurses have to deal with all types of body functions, crazy physicians, upset families, insurance companies who want their people out of the hospital asap and administrators who look at the bottom line. I showed up one evening and was floated twice to other units. I was mandated to stay many times for 16 hour shifts. I come from a family of nurses and I think we have seen just about everything. If the job was that glamorous then there would be no nursing shortage. Most people have no desire to be up to their elbows in mucous, vomit or feces. You can catch stuff. You can be the target of violence especially if you work in Mental health or in an emergency room. I was left in so many crazy situations through the years by the time I was done there was no looking back.
As far as teaching goes, you need at least a Masters Degree around here. Most Nurses I know are female and working while raising a family pretty much does most of us in- getting an advanced degree is a little more than myself or my friends could do. I had a very supportive and helpful husband but I had no extra time to get that advanced degree. Again, no regrets as my children turned out great as I spent all my extra time with them.

I worked around my family and I was able to exit the workforce way before the normal retirement age,but it was not a picnic. I could have gotten sued very easily despite being very careful and meticulous. I was exposed to TB and HIV as well as MRSA. I saw the effects of violence and sexual abuse against children and adults.

Recently there was a reunion of my nursing class. We graduated 88 students in the mid seventies. Less than half of us worked more than five years in the field. I think that says it all.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hear ya 52andout. Your post brings back memories. The only good thing about them is that I can refer to all of that stuff in the past tense. Have you FIRED yet? If not are you close? I hope you are.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.