Join Early Retirement Today

Nutrition Software
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nutrition Software

Sometimes over the past few years there have been posts mentioning nutrition software- you enter what you eat and how much, and it outputs your intake of macronutrients and also many vitamins and minerals. I have a good Swiss gram scale.

I cannot find any of this, and I would like to try one of these programs. I eat low carb, have no trouble adhering to it, but I think that my serving sizes of supposedly OK amounts of veggies might push me over the level of carbs that I want (25-45gm/day). Also, I would like to know about Na,K, and other nutrients. If necessary, I would rather pay for some good software, than try to go my own way with spreadsheets.

Any suggestions or links?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Check MyFitnessPal.com. It does not have all the nutrients you might want to track (but does have Na,K, Iron).
I found it easy to use when I monitored my diet for two months.
Below is the list of nutrients they use, I copied & pasted an entry for a tbsp of unsalted butter:

Nutrition Facts
Butter - Unsalted

Servings:

Calories 102 Sodium 2 mg
Total Fat 12 g Potassium 3 mg
Saturated 7 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 3 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Vitamin A 7% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good question. I heard there was an iphone app, but don't have details. I also attempt to limit refined carbs, but like you, am unsure of the portions. What would be cool would be software with an integrated scale. You would put down your plate, zero it out, then tell the software what you were dishing up. It would have to be that easy or I'm probably not going to keep it up.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like fitday but I only use it on my computer. I don't think the phone app is that good.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Administrator

I have had Dietpower installed on my computer for a decade or more, I guess, and like it a lot. You can get a 15-day free trial at their website and then if you like it, you can purchase a "key" to unlock it permanently for $27.95. This is a very good company to deal with - - real human beings (imagine that? ). I haven't tried any of the other software or websites so I don't know how it compares with them. Here's a link to the download page:

Calorie Counter Diet Software 100% Guaranteed... & FREE Food Diary..

It tells you how much sodium and potassium you have ingested each day, and for the week, month, year, and so on, plus the same for another 30+ nutrients (see below). It also gives you the %PDA for each. It has a huge list of foods and their nutrients and you can add your own if you wish. Interestingly, I found when tracking nutrients that if I eat whatever the software says I am lacking, my appetite is somewhat reduced. This is a desirable outcome for someone like me who needs to lose weight. It gives you diet and eating recommendations which I ignore because I just use it as an aid when on Weight Watchers.

Calories
Fat g
Saturaged g
polyunsat g
monounsat g
trans fat g
cholesterol mg
sodium mg
potassium mg
carbohydrate g
dietary fiber g
sugars g
protein g
Vit A micrograms
Vit C milligrams
Calcium milligrams
iron milligrams
Vit D IU
Vit E IU
Thiamin micrograms
Riboflavin micrograms
Niacin milligrams
Vig B6 micrograms
Folate micrograms
Vit B12 micrograms
Phosphorus milligrams
Magnesium milligrams
Zinc milligrams
Copper micrograms
Manganese milligrams
Selenium micrograms
Water fl oz
Alcohol fl oz

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Check MyFitnessPal.com. It does not have all the nutrients you might want to track (but does have Na,K, Iron).
I found it easy to use when I monitored my diet for two months.
Below is the list of nutrients they use, I copied & pasted an entry for a tbsp of unsalted butter:

Nutrition Facts
Butter - Unsalted

Servings:

Calories 102 Sodium 2 mg
Total Fat 12 g Potassium 3 mg
Saturated 7 g Total Carbs 0 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g &nbspietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 3 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Vitamin A 7% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

I also use " My Fitness Pal " . When I don't log in it says I need encouragement not my idea of a great pal but it is a useful tool .
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

+1 on fitday.com although I haven't used it in years. I remember it listed vitamin content of each food item as well as calories/fiber/carb info. I was introduced to it by someone who was counting carbs. It was free then, and it may still be although I think you can buy an upgrade.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Fitday dot com. I use the free version which is fine as long as you have ad blocking software on your computer. Check it out before you pay for anything else.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #9

MyFitnessPal has a nice iPad app and is easy to use. I like Fitday too, but find I'm more consistent when I have an app to make data entry easy.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the help. I'll check out over the week. I am surprised that so many of us use nutrition software, but I can see that it would really give good information.

Ha
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

I have been using the stand alone (desktop) version of CRON-O-Meter for years and really like it, especially for the price (free, open source, runs on any desktop with Java): CRON-O-Meter Download

The original developer is really pushing his web based version now; but, I have not tried that. (I am not connected all the time; so, I like having the stand alone app.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Lena tracks everything with FatSecret.com (I'd think they'd want to call it ThinSecret.com). But it doesn't track potassium, and isn't very complete.

For me it doesn't seem worth the effort of data entry, except once in a while to answer some specific questions. Unless one has CDO.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Unless one has CDO.
What is CDO?

As to effort and payoff, I track all my expenses and have for 25 years. When I was married my wife gave me all her receipts, except $100 or so per month that we felt was her business.

Why not the same with food? Nothing like adding up some figure to reveal a lot you didn't realize.

I have noticed that as I get more low carb, often I really don't even feel like eating 3x/day. Always breakfast, and almost always a good sized lunch around 2pm if I am home, but maybe very light on the dinner. This is in spite of a daily exercise calorie output that averages 495kc/day, every day. Occasional 0 output days are balanced by bigger days.

Sometimes I don't realize that I am hungry, but when I get to eating, I think Oh Yeah, this is what I needed. If weight and metabolic health were very tighly linked, I should be a very healthy person. But I struggle to keep my blood sugar below 100, and to keep my BP normal. Though I think this last is mostly because I can become quite anxious about having it taken.

My problem with low carb eating is that I really like vegetables, and even the so called low carb veggies can add up. Starches and sweets never even cross my mind, and I am grateful for that, as i once was a potato head and a pasta-holic. We have much more power than we usually realize to change our lives and weight and health.

Ha
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
What is CDO?
CDO is OCD with the letters in alphabetical order.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ha, I can't believe you fell for it. Never ask Al a question unless you know the answer.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This is too clever for me; I underestimated T-Al. Nothing quite like demonstrating whatever you are referencing.

Not gonna be found over at that other site.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I like fit day, and used to use it a lot.

On my iPhone, Carb Manager has proven to be a very good app.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #18

Interesting that low carb veggies are keeping your blood sugar higher than you want it. I found the opposite is true in my case. When I eat more veggies (often than not, the leafy kind but probably not all that different with cauliflower, broccoli and such) in the evening with meat and fat, my fasting blood sugar in the morning is much lower. I am not sure if it's because I end up consuming less calories or what. (I end up not eating as much protein when I eat a huge salad for example.)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #19

I've used a variety of online sources: Livestrong, fitday, fatsecret, sparkpeople.

I liked Livestrong a lot but they have made it difficult to add foods that aren't in their database or where it is but someone has put in the wrong information. You have to link to the manufacturer's website or upload a photo of the label. Lots of places don't put the info on the website and having to constantly upload labels is a PITA. Also, it has no net carbs option. I do like that you can see not only the day but also each week. It also recalculates caloric amount based upon activity you enter for the day.

Fitday and Fatsecret I tried and can't remember why I didn't like them. I remember one of them didn't do net carbs and the other didn't have much in the database. Can't remember which.

Currently I'm using Sparkpeople. I like how you enter new foods and you can display both carbs and net carbs. I haven't found a way to display sugar. It has a lot of nutrients it will display, however. And, it makes entering new foods very easy. The main problem I've had is that its search function doesn't seem to work very well. There are times when I search for a food that I know is in that database and it doesn't turn up. Not sure what I'm getting wrong.

However, on all of these nutrients beyond what is on the typical food label won't be available for many foods unless you cook from total scratch and don't eat out.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
However, on all of these nutrients beyond what is on the typical food label won't be available for many foods unless you cook from total scratch and don't eat out.
Thanks for your input. I do cook from total scratch, and don't eat out much and when I do 80% if the time I have raw fish or shellfish, with a little sea vegetable and pickled ginger.

Ha