Nutritional Supplements - Good and ???

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here is an article on those nutritional supplements that really can do us some good if one has certain medical issues. Basically, they don't think much of most supplements but for certain people, there are benefits from taking a supplement. They point out that the best way to get nutrition is from the food we each since it tends to be balanced and better absorbed.

Although routine micronutrient supplementation is not recommended for the general population, targeted supplementation may be warranted in high-risk groups for whom nutritional requirements may not be met through diet alone, including people at certain life stages and those with specific risk factors

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2672264

Key Points on Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
General Guidance for Supplementation in a Healthy Population by Life Stage

• Pregnancy: folic acid, prenatal vitamins
  • Infants and children: for breastfed infants, vitamin D until weaning and iron from age 4-6 mo
  • Midlife and older adults: some may benefit from supplemental vitamin B12, vitamin D, and/or calcium
Guidance for Supplementation in High-Risk Subgroups

• Medical conditions that interfere with nutrient absorption or metabolism:
    • Bariatric surgery: fat-soluble vitamins, B vitamins, iron, calcium, zinc, copper, multivitamins/multiminerals
    • Pernicious anemia: vitamin B12 (1-2 mg/d orally or 0.1-1 mg/mo intramuscularly)
    • Crohn disease, other inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease: iron, B vitamins, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium
  • Osteoporosis or other bone health issues: vitamin D, calcium, magnesiuma
  • Age-related macular degeneration: specific formulation of antioxidant vitamins, zinc, copper
  • Medications (long-term use):
    • Proton pump inhibitorsa: vitamin B12, calcium, magnesium
    • Metformina: vitamin B12
  • Restricted or suboptimal eating patterns: multivitamins/multiminerals, vitamin B12, calcium, vitamin D, magnesium
a Inconsistent evidence.

"most randomized clinical trials of vitamin and mineral supplements have not demonstrated clear benefits for primary or secondary prevention of chronic diseases not related to nutritional deficiency. Indeed, some trials suggest that micronutrient supplementation in amounts that exceed the recommended dietary allowance (RDA)—eg, high doses of beta carotene, folic acid, vitamin E, or selenium—may have harmful effects, including increased mortality, cancer, and hemorrhagic stroke.

... Importantly, clinicians should counsel their patients that such supplementation is not a substitute for a healthful and balanced diet and, in most cases, provides little if any benefit beyond that conferred by such a diet."

As has been stated previously, JERF! Multi-billion dollar boondoggle.

While I agree that it is best to get your vitamins/minerals from food, a whole lot of people probably have a "suboptimal diet", so they may be deficient in certain vitamins/minerals. Personally, I take supplemental magnesium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, and a kelp tablet (for iodine). Those seem to be the things many people are deficient in.........even people whose diet is pretty good overall.

I understand that many people think supplements of any kind are unnecessary, and that's fine. I look at what I take is a little bit of insurance against developing certain health issues.

I like the studies that Michael Greger MD brings to light and highlights in his book and videos.

For instance, babies used to get all the vitamin D they needed from breast milk because mothers got enough themselves. Not in the US anymore.

Also strict vegetarians really need to supplement with Vitamin B12, but it is very cheap to do so.

But both of these are included in the summary above and discussed explicitly in the linked article.

@RAE, I may have to add some iodine because I don't use salt on anything plus the salt in the house seems to the non-iodized kind anyways.

Last edited:
It is also amazing to me that my dog has eaten the same kibble for at least 7 years and seems to be incredibly healthy with no ill effects. He doesn't get table scraps (at least not in my presence), yet human beings seem to have problems with their own nutrition.

Remember the boy who died of scury:
Scurvy returns among children with diets 'worse than in the war’ - Telegraph

And I found the girl who only ate chicken nuggets:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/britis...ing-nothing-but-chicken-nuggets-for-15-years/

@RAE, I may have to add some iodine because I don't use salt on anything plus the salt in the house seems to the non-iodized kind anyways.

Right, iodine can be hard to get from diet, unless you eat quite a bit of wild-caught fish and/or seaweed. Sea salt typically has a little bit of iodine, but not much. I take a daily kelp tablet, which is cheap, and should provide an adequate amount of iodine.

It is also amazing to me that my dog has eaten the same kibble for at least 7 years and seems to be incredibly healthy with no ill effects. He doesn't get table scraps (at least not in my presence), yet human beings seem to have problems with their own nutrition.

Remember the boy who died of scury:
Scurvy returns among children with diets 'worse than in the war’ - Telegraph

And I found the girl who only ate chicken nuggets:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/britis...ing-nothing-but-chicken-nuggets-for-15-years/
:LOL: Dog eating balanced diet does well. Humans eating bizarre diets don't. A generalization that humans have problems with their own nutrition hardly follows. A more logical conclusion might be that humans should try balanced diets and see how it goes. According to reputable studies, of course, it goes just fine.

I have no problem with people buying supplements, just as I have no problem with people paying fortune-tellers or seeing homeopathic practitioners. If it makes them happy, fine. It's a free country.

Go to any Wal-Mart and see how much shelf space is dedicated to supplements. About the only thing I know gets more floor space is high calorie low nutrition junk food. Maybe they go together?

Right, iodine can be hard to get from diet, unless you eat quite a bit of wild-caught fish and/or seaweed. Sea salt typically has a little bit of iodine, but not much. I take a daily kelp tablet, which is cheap, and should provide an adequate amount of iodine.

I'm another one who eats hardly any salt, but I frequently snack on a couple of sheets of nori. I think that probably gives me enough iodine.

Back
Top Bottom