Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

NYT article on fat/diet/obesity (it's genetic and that's that)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NYT article on fat/diet/obesity (it's genetic and that's that)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html

What was most striking to me was that the "normal" weight (but previously overweight) subjects had metabolism measurements consistent with starvation.

Time for a cookie: I'm starving!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: NYT article on fat/diet/obesity (it's genetic and that's that)
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. Being the melting pot of the world, I wonder why Americans have so much more of a problem with obesity than other countries?
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
What an interesting article. Thanks for posting it. Being the melting pot of the world, I wonder why Americans have so much more of a problem with obesity than other countries?
MY problem when I was really fat was over eating and no exercise. Now I keep a journal of what I eat and exercise every day. Problem got solved
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
MY problem when I was really fat was over eating and no exercise. Now I keep a journal of what I eat and exercise every day. Problem got solved
Do you have the "starvation syndrome" that the article talks about?

Hmm I wonder if America is overweight because we have a bunch of "naturally thin" people that are overeating or is it just that we have more people who have a genetic tendency to be overweight?
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is an interesting article. It was not clear to me just what % of people fit that profile though.

I got serious about losing 20 # a few years back. It was actually much easier than I thought, but it required a constant awareness on my part. Drink plenty of water, eat a lot of low calorie foods throughout the day to keep from feeling hungry, and eat smaller amounts of the higher calorie stuff. Stop and taste each bite and savor it. Put your fork down and finish each bite before taking another. It's not really that hard to east less when you stop to appreciate it more. I used to wolf down 100 calories of something without even really stopping to notice how it tasted. And some exercise.

I've put most of it back on over the years. It just takes that constant attention, and I just lost some of the motivation after a while. Like they say, an extra 100 calories a day slipping by adds up over time.

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
Do you have the "starvation syndrome" that the article talks about?

Hmm I wonder if America is overweight because we have a bunch of "naturally thin" people that are overeating or is it just that we have more people who have a genetic tendency to be overweight?

No I had the gluttony syndrome. Eating way too much and not exercising. On the other hand I do have a family history of obesity. Either way its controllable by me with a proper diet and exercise.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #7

A mult-generational version of this study would be very interesting...

I'm particularly interested in the part which cites that the children of obese parents are more likely to be obese. It begs me to ask:

If there were two obese people (both born of obese parents) who married and then lost weight to where they were no longer considered obese, then they had children... would those children be prone to obesity or not?

Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Weight Watchers requires a minimum food intake which depends on a number of factors but as I recall it is never less than 18 points. That would be around 900 calories, give or take a few depending on fat and fiber consumed. The patients in the study were only permitted only 600 calories.

The reason WW gives for this, is that eating fewer calories causes the body to go into "starvation mode" where the metabolic rate is lowered for some time. A WW truism is, "You have to eat to lose weight" (and keep it off).

Even if obesity is genetic, we all have the hand of cards we were dealt and that is what we have to work with. Actually, I believe there probably IS a strong genetic component, but many or most naturally thin people will never believe that, and I believe that naturally obese people should not use genetic predisposition as a reason to continue in a condition that can lead to impaired health and/or an inability to fully enjoy and participate in their lives.

OK, done preachin'.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
Weight Watchers requires a minimum food intake which depends on a number of factors but as I recall it is never less than 18 points. That would be around 900 calories, give or take a few depending on fat and fiber consumed. The patients in the study were only permitted only 600 calories.

The reason WW gives for this, is that eating fewer calories causes the body to go into "starvation mode" where the metabolic rate is lowered for some time. A WW truism is, "You have to eat to lose weight" (and keep it off).

Even if obesity is genetic, we all have the hand of cards we were dealt and that is what we have to work with. Actually, I believe there probably IS a strong genetic component, but many or most naturally thin people will never believe that, and I believe that naturally obese people should not use genetic predisposition as a reason to continue in a condition that can lead to impaired health and/or an inability to fully enjoy and participate in their lives.

OK, done preachin'.
Pretty close to how I feel about it Want2retire. I may have lousy genes but I had to get off my butt and take care of myself.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Pretty close to how I feel about it Want2retire. I may have lousy genes but I had to get off my butt and take care of myself.
Me too.

Exercise has been a big help for me at this time in my life, since I work in a cubicle environment. Ever notice how elementary school children run around outside during recess with great exuberance and joy? I think the gym can be fun, like recess for grownups. Our ancestors got a lot more physical exertion in their daily activities, since they did not have the conveniences of modern life, but now we need to look for physical activity anywhere we can find it.

Of course, exercise alone won't do it for me which is why I am so familiar with WW.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

well, I certainly have the genetic component. My father was really heavy, and all four of his sisters were as well. Several of them topped 400 pounds. And I look just like my father's side of the family (except I've kept my weight relatively under control).

I've had to struggle my whole life to keep my weight under control. I'm not majorly obese as they were, but I'm certainly not thin. Only the kind of food I eat and the exercise I get keeps me from looking just like them.

I eat mostly organic, very little meat, all whole grains, virtually no refined sugars, no processed food, and get regular exercise, walking 3-4 miles a day almost every day. I haven't set foot into a fast food restaurant in many years. If I ate the standard American diet, I'd be a tub.

I'm like a quarter horse/Arab cross mare we used to have. She stayed round and healthy looking on a quarter of the feed our other horses needed.

There really is a huge difference in caloric needs between people. My husband and I weigh nearly the same amount, yet he eats close to twice what I eat. Not fair, but it's what I've had to live with my whole life. I'm an "easy keeper", and if times get tough, I'll be the last one whose ribs show, because I'm the product of many generations of northern European peasants who made it through tough winters.

I've kind of gotten where I celebrate that. If I don't, it's like condeming my vehicle because it gets a too high gas mileage. I just have a really efficient body.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Obesity (at least for me, and I have seen mentions of this in articles) was largely a result of stress.

Comfort foods (salty/greasy)
Emotional eating
Mindless eating
"I deserve this" eating

For the first six months after retiring I was still eating not so great and I lost 10 pounds. I noticed this and started researching nutrition. Now the pounds and inches keep slowly but surely coming off.

I have to be careful or I get positively evangelical on this issue.

Big hint: small plates.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to everyone who has become thinner and stayed that way.

I have always been lean, but I don't know if this is because of what I eat and how I act in my life, or just genes. I know I don't want to tempt fate to find out!

ha
Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The research seems sound, but if that's true, answer this:

Why are people fatter today than they were 20 years ago? Their genes have not changed.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The research seems sound, but if that's true, answer this:

Why are people fatter today than they were 20 years ago? Their genes have not changed.
20 years ago all american poor could afford was a bare subsistance diet.

Today they can afford/have access to junk food--often even cheaper and more available than good food.

Watch Supersize Me sometime, to see what I mean. When I worked the welfare office there were a half-dozen fast food joints/mini-marts within a block of the front doors--the nearest supermarket was 5 miles away (and when you don't have a car, a 10 mile round trip is a big deal)
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Obesity (at least for me, and I have seen mentions of this in articles) was largely a result of stress.
Another stress eater here! Last summer I had 5 weeks off -- ate 'normally', didn't feel hungry and didn't gain any weight. Within a month of returning to work, I put on 5 pounds !!

My family didn't have a lot of money when I grew up. We ate simply -- no fast food. In high school I felt 'fat' whenever I was 5-10 pounds overweight. Gained 50+ pounds in the late 90's/early 00's due to severe stress, then finally dropped all the excess weight a couple of years ago. Food is so easily available these days! I have to pay attention to my diet and exercise all the time but do not feel like I am starving. Fortunately I was a pretty skinny kid so --- per the article --- I should be able to maintain my weight loss.
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This is basically the "Set Point" theory that was discussed quite a bit about 20 years ago. It certainly fits my experience. I was always a skinny kid - my brother and I drank Weight On in high school to beef up for sports (or maybe in a vain attempt to get laid) As I aged I very slowly and steadily gained weight, but not a lot. After about 50 the gain seemed to just stop. In the meantime, it never seems to matter what or how much I eat.

In retrospect I am surprised these studies didn't come up in that acrimonious thread a year or so ago where a number of mean spirited naturally skinny posters blamed the overweight people for their condition. It would be interesting to see what arguments the naturally thin people would muster if they found themselves living in a society that abhorred slim people.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
20 years ago all american poor could afford was a bare subsistance diet.

Today they can afford/have access to junk food--often even cheaper and more available than good food.

Watch Supersize Me sometime, to see what I mean. When I worked the welfare office there were a half-dozen fast food joints/mini-marts within a block of the front doors--the nearest supermarket was 5 miles away (and when you don't have a car, a 10 mile round trip is a big deal)
Absolutely, I agree. I don't think it is that complicated. People are eating too much and not exercising enough. Child obesity is out of control and I believe the lack of exercise is more of a culprit than junk food. As children, we were outside all day running, climbing, jumping, riding bikes, etc. I rarely see that today. Of course, parents will say that they are running children to soccer, basketball, etc. and that is true. However, it is not the sustained play of your youth and mine.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Gawd, I don't know if that article should depress me or not!

I think there are certainly people who are obese, whose parents are obese, and can't effect much change in their lives. But in my (mom's side) family, my grandparents were/are very slim people but all 4 of their daughters, my mom included, have struggled with weight. Now 3 sisters are obese & 1 is normal weight. Their brother is normal weight.

I called the doctor's office a week ago, to find out a bit more about my weight history, as I was always a skinny kid, and put on weight starting in my 20s. I discovered that I weighed 130 lbs at 20, and 158 lbs at 23. (!) Yikes! Talk about adding some calories!

So I'd like to think that the changes I've made in the past year, the trainer, the gym rat lifestyle, the nutritional revolution, food diary and calorie counting will be with me for a good while. But I don't know if my genetics are "wit me or agin me". I think I might try to get that book from the library that the article was based on. Sounds very interesting.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #20

I wonder how many fat people were walking around in 1907?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote