NYT: Genentech Offers Secret Rebates

Interesting, if not surprising. However, I wish you had warned me about that picture with them giving the guy the injection in the eye. Creeped me out! :hide:

Interesting, if not surprising. However, I wish you had warned me about that picture with them giving the guy the injection in the eye. Creeped me out! :hide:

Yeah, me too. I always get nervous when dental hygienists are twirling their instruments around over my face. They now give you safety glasses.

This picture is a bit clockwork orangish.

Something missing here....a vial of Avastin retails for around $5,000. Where did they get $20 per injection from?

Something missing here....a vial of Avastin retails for around $5,000. Where did they get $20 per injection from?

:yuk: yep, that is pretty vile.

Just did a quick Google, found 4ml vials for $499. Buy Avastin (Bevacizumab), Cheap Brand Avastin, Online (Bevacizumab), Discount Avastin - North Drug Store Canadian Pharmacy

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize that was a Canadian pharmacy until I saw the link in the post. But in this article from back in 2007, the say the costs are $20-60/dose versus $2000/dose. http://irvaronsjournal.blogspot.com/2007/06/avastinlucentis-update-14-genentech-ceo.html

Maybe in Canada, not in the US. Check Humana's drug list here (click the drug list search):

Individual Prescription Drug Resources - Drug Information

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it looks like the $5K is for 32 vials. That would be $156/vial. I guess there must be multiple doses in a vial.

Searched Drug: 11 AVASTIN
Dose Form:25 MG/ML
Coverage: Not Covered
Quantity Limit: 4 for 30 days
Estimated Cost:$4,967.55 for 32.00 VIAL (SDV,MDV OR ADDITIVE) (ML)

Edit: Not reading it right. It looks like a dose of Avastin is 1 ml, and the vial is 32 ml, for a cost of $156/dose. And I got this price from the High Deductible plan, so with a better plan it might be cheaper.

vs Lucentis

Searched Drug: 11 Lucentis
Dose Form:0.5 MG/0.05 ML
Quantity Limit: Not applicable
Estimated Cost:$2,122.13 for 0.05 VIAL (SDV,MDV OR ADDITIVE) (ML)

So .05 ml os one dose, costs $2122. (same plan)

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it looks like the $5K is for 32 vials. That would be $156/vial. I guess there must be multiple doses in a vial.

Searched Drug: 11 AVASTIN
Dose Form:25 MG/ML
Quantity Limit: 4 for 30 days
Estimated Cost:$4,967.55 for 32.00 VIAL (SDV,MDV OR ADDITIVE) (ML)

I'm not sure, but drugs are usually cheaper from Canada. I'm not a doctor so I don't know how Avastin is usually dosed or how often, but I can't see where they are getting $20 per injection from.

I'm not sure, but drugs are usually cheaper from Canada. I'm not a doctor so I don't know how Avastin is usually dosed or how often, but I can't see where they are getting $20 per injection from.

Re-read my last post, I updated it several times. I still don't get $20/dose, but it's a lot closer now.

There is some information about the 2 drugs on wikipedia, Bevacizumab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I would guess that the price per dose of Avastin is very different when treating cancer compared to macular degeneration because of the amount given for each type of treatment. The wiki page mentions a dose of 1.25-2.5 mg for the eye treatment and uses a cost of $42/dose..

There is some information about the 2 drugs on wikipedia, Bevacizumab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . I would guess that the price per dose of Avastin is very different when treating cancer compared to macular degeneration because of the amount given for each type of treatment. The wiki page mentions a dose of 1.25-2.5 mg for the eye treatment and uses a cost of $42/dose..

Good point, you learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom