Join Early Retirement Today

Obamacare Animated Video (updated)
Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Obamacare Animated Video (updated)

This won't add anything for those who fully understand Obamacare already (maybe everyone here), but a very basic primer for those who prefer audio/visuals to straight reading.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old 08-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

I thought it was cute and thorough, from a 10,0000 foot level. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

It got me thinking about the people that live in the US that decide not to buy insurance. Will it be the same as today, where the hospitals are required to treat people if they present themselves at the hospital? We have a set of people in this country that operate like that now, and I wondered if it be "business as usual" for them. I guess there will be a smallish fine on their federal taxes (if they're legal and file taxes) if they decide not to buy, but any rule changes on the hospital side?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
if they decide not to buy, but any rule changes on the hospital side?

AFAIK, no rule changes on the hospital side. Emergencies have to be treated. The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor act covers emergencies only. Non-emergencies are not covered by this law, and hospitals do not have to treat the non-emergencies. but as we know, if something festers long enough, it will be an emergency. Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

Brought to mind the Yiddish exclamation OY
Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

That was quite handy to watch as being a non US citizen I couldn't quite figure it out, think ill stick with the NHS though, whilst its on its knees and deff needs overhauling, at least it's still free at point of need for all ... With the exception of dentistry ( now ) some eye care ( now) and for those living in England prescriptions ... The Scot's and Welsh don't pay prescription fees :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

More coming from companies on Obamacare. Wish I could remember which company this was but heard on the radio that some large employer in the country is going to make a change in there coverage. I'm not sure, but I think it was IBM. That company will drop coverage of an employee's spouse if the spouse has coverage available at their workplace. The way I understand it, if my wife was covered by my company's health insurance plan and she was also working at some other company, she would no longer be covered by my company but would be forced to use the insurance coverage at her own company, even if wasn't as good.

Anyone know more about this? Just another wrinkle in the insurance game.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Not IBM but UPS, I believe...

Quote:
“Since the Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide affordable coverage, we believe your spouse should be covered by their own employer — just as UPS has a responsibility to offer coverage to you,” the company said in a memo to employees.

UPS to end health insurance for working spouses - The Washington Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Nothing new with that, just UPS is big. Many small companies have dropped spouse/family coverage and/or charge full price. It's also only for non union employees with working spouse that have other coverage available. I can see their point, why should they provide coverage to some that doesn't work for them.

I think ER freeloading is somewhat overblown. Yes they can't let you die on the doorway, but all they have to do is stabilize you. They don't provide cancer treatment, heart surgery, dialysis, chronic disease treatments etc.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I think ER freeloading is somewhat overblown. Yes they can't let you die on the doorway, but all they have to do is stabilize you. They don't provide cancer treatment, heart surgery, dialysis, chronic disease treatments etc.
Good point. I've not thought too much (or read anything) about the way this works today, and if expeditures in this area significantly increase the cost to those that pay. But have read a little about coaxing the non-insured to sign-up for the ACA, and sort of hoped there would be more rules. Maybe like motor-voter, they could make them sign-up for ACA in the ER
Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I thought the video provided a good, dumbed down overview, considering its target audience of people that don't even know if the ACA is law.