Join Early Retirement Today

Obamacare Cadillac Tax on High-End Health Plans
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obamacare Cadillac Tax on High-End Health Plans

NYT article on a provision of the Obamacare legislation, called the Cadillac tax, which penalizes companies that offer high-end health care plans to their employees.

"While most of the attention on the Obama administration’s health care law has been on providing coverage to tens of millions of uninsured Americans by 2014, workers with employer-paid health insurance are also beginning to feel the effects. Companies hoping to avoid the tax are beginning to scale back the more generous health benefits they have traditionally offered and to look harder for ways to bring down the overall cost of care.

Although the tax does not start until 2018, employers say they have to start now to meet the deadline and they are doing whatever they can to bring down the cost of their plans. Under the law, an employer or health insurer offering a plan that costs more than $10,200 for an individual and $27,500 for a family would typically pay a 40 percent excise tax on the amount exceeding the threshold."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/bu..._source=feedly

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Under the law, an employer or health insurer offering a plan that costs more than $10,200 for an individual and $27,500 for a family would typically pay a 40 percent excise tax on the amount exceeding the threshold."
Um. A GROUP policy, the sort of thing that an employer might buy, for $10,200 per individual is likely to be a pretty darn good policy, Platinum or better. (I say likely because group quotes do consider the employee mix. If the company consists of nothing but 70 year and older male smokers, I suspect the rate would be higher.)

I suppose someone on a crazy high end plan like this might be upset at part of their premium over the cap being taxed, but what percentage of the population is actually affected? The most expensive plan I can get through our HMO, with a $25 co-pay for a doctor visit or hospitalization, and no deductible, is $8511/year.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Um. A GROUP policy, the sort of thing that an employer might buy, for $10,200 per individual is likely to be a pretty darn good policy, Platinum or better. (I say likely because group quotes do consider the employee mix. If the company consists of nothing but 70 year and older male smokers, I suspect the rate would be higher.)

I suppose someone on a crazy high end plan like this might be upset at part of their premium over the cap being taxed, but what percentage of the population is actually affected? The most expensive plan I can get through our HMO, with a $25 co-pay for a doctor visit or hospitalization, and no deductible, is $8511/year.
It looks like this is aimed at those goofy 'executive' plans, for CEOs and whatnot, that include things like annual full body MRI scans and 24 hour on-call attending physicians.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #4

Perhaps this might also include some union-negotiated plans, I've heard some of them are rather generous.

omni
Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I can tell you that my current coverage in the public school system will be considered Cadillac, no goofy coverage, but extensive.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingme View Post
I can tell you that my current coverage in the public school system will be considered Cadillac, no goofy coverage, but extensive.
DW is an educator and used to have Cadillac coverage. Obama Care or not, everyone is getting shifted in the Yugo coverage, just because of the cost pressures.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Perhaps this might also include some union-negotiated plans, I've heard some of them are rather generous.
This is the primary source of Cadillac plans. In fact, the reason the compliance date was pushed back until 2018 was to keep union support for Obamacare.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #8

Just a guess, but I bet the employer of the U.S. Congress will pay the tax for them.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

The worst thing (IMO) about the Cadillac tax is that the value threshold is not indexed for inflation. Not the rate of health care inflation, not even the CPI. It's basically like the AMT has been -- something that will (unless reformed) increasingly hit the middle class hard.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #10

I can see this as a bad thing for small groups with older workers. Many will have to turn to the state exchange , but loose choice of carriers in doing so.

My employer has been able to get good rates with a large group 35k employees and about 15k more dependants in the healthcare group, with the employee paying 100% of dependant insur. Everyone employed by the city, union and not, has the 3 same plans, Blue Shield PPO, or HMO and Kaiser HMO. The Kaiser HMO plan costs the most. Being government , with low employee turnover, the group average age is about 40. On c.o.b.r.a., the cost for the PPO with RX, ( so called gold plan) is just under 600/mo. per person when I checked cost in March.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My megacorp insurance policy is very good and I am certain is considered Cadillac plan. I am fearful that megacorp will scale down the plan or more likely will require employees to pay for part of it as currently we pay nothing. Good thing this does not hit until 2018 when I should be in semi-retirement and I guess I will have to pay 2K-3K. We will see.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

You can check your 2012 W-2 form for the value of your employer sponsored health insurance. It is located in Box 12 code WW.

This will give you a feel for how close your current plan is to a "Cadillac" Plan.

FWIW, many self-funded group plan use the same formula for this (reporting on W2 form) as they do for calculating COBRA premiums (less the 2% COBRA markup)

-gauss