Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Obamacare Federally Mandated Additional Fees on your Premium
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Obamacare Federally Mandated Additional Fees on your Premium

I searched to see if this was already discussed and didn't find anything.

We got a letter today from our health care insurer for 2014. We are enrolled for a bronze plan with an HSA and already paid for our January premium.

The letter is to let us know about the healthcare reform related things we should know about, like prenatal care, Essential Health Benefits, no exclusions for pre-existing conditions, max out of pocket costs, etc. I was aware of all of these.

Then this -

Additional federally mandated fees will begin to appear on your invoice in 2014. You will see the following fees on your invoices:

- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) at $0.18 per member per month. This fee is scheduled to end in 2019.
- Transitional Reinsurance Program Fee at $5.25 per member per month in 2014. This fee is intended to decrease through 2016, when the fee ends.
- Market Share Fee at 2.4 percent of your total premium.
- Risk Adjustment fee at $0.08 per member per month. This fee will not appear on your invoice until after your renewal.

The example also shows a State Premium Tax of 1.4%. I don't know if this applies to our state but it's pretty likely.

I'M NOT COMPLAINING!

We are happy to be able to buy a high deductible plan with an HSA and get a nice subsidy compared with our other choice of DH's retiree health insurance that was $400/mo more and far more coverage then we need. I'm just surprised. This will cost us an additional $31/mo which is still very affordable compared to the alternatives.

I read all the Obamacare topics here and don't remember reading about federally mandated additional fees.

Reminds me of the landline phone companies and all the extra fees that would show up.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My husband got notice of such Federally mandated fees on his old insurance.

But I assumed the new quotes effective 1/1/14 already included these fees.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

And remember the promises of when many of those landline taxes/fees were scheduled to end? Such fees are now >25% of my total phone bill
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My husband got notice of such Federally mandated fees on his old insurance.

But I assumed the new quotes effective 1/1/14 already included these fees.
Our 2013 retiree insurance is from the same insurance company as our new 2014 Obamacare insurance. Now I'm curious as to which one this pertains to. I assumed it was for the 2014 premium since it gives examples of a monthly premium bill showing the fees added on. With the retiree insurance for 2013 we never saw a bill, it was withheld from the pension deposit.

We've canceled the retiree insurance effective 1/1/2014 and already enrolled in, and paid for the first month of the subsidized plan for 2014.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Additional federally mandated fees will begin to appear on your invoice in 2014. You will see the following fees on your invoices:

- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) at $0.18 per member per month. This fee is scheduled to end in 2019.
- Transitional Reinsurance Program Fee at $5.25 per member per month in 2014. This fee is intended to decrease through 2016, when the fee ends.
- Market Share Fee at 2.4 percent of your total premium.
- Risk Adjustment fee at $0.08 per member per month. This fee will not appear on your invoice until after your renewal.

The example also shows a State Premium Tax of 1.4%. I don't know if this applies to our state but it's pretty likely.
Does anyone know if these are new fees beginning with PPACA? Or are these (or something similar) already included in individual insurance premiums? Maybe PPACA is listing these separately in an attempt to be transparent. I suspect not.

If these are new fees my guess is they're some of the many fees interwoven in PPACA in an attempt to make the implementation of the law to be "revenue neutral."
Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

Something doesn't sound right. The transitional reinsurance is on employer and self insured group plans, and for them is tax deductible

Transitional Reinsurance Fee

PCORI & Reinsurance Fees

I'm sure your insurance would never pass up chance to "stick" to you.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Something doesn't sound right. The transitional reinsurance is on employer and self insured group plans, and for them is tax deductible

PCORI & Reinsurance Fees

Hmmm. Our 2013 retiree plan is a self insured group plan operated by the pension system. The letter doesn't identify a group number or policy name so I can't tell if it's for our old plan or our new plan. Curious.

I'll have to call and ask some questions on Monday.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

PCORI & Reinsurance Fees

My huband's old plan is individual, and he was notified of the $30 fee add-on for 2014 on that plan.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:

PCORI & Reinsurance Fees

Thanks for the links. I know more now (but still a little confused) about the fees. I does appear that implementation of PPACA requires these fees in order to be revenue neutral. With that in mind the insurance company is simply following the law - collecting the fees and paying them to the appropriate government agency. In my mind that means the government is sticking it to you - not the insurance company.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #10

my old policy was renewed for another year. it is an hsa, but curiously the premium only went up 28 dollars. do you think that was the fees? the letter didn't say anything about fees, just that our 2014 premium would increase 28.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Are these fees already built into the new quote I received for next year's insurance, or are they on top of them?
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Here' a few more links to some info.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2012.../2012-6594.pdf ( see table in section B INTRODUCTION, who participates )

https://sites.google.com/site/health...ppaca-sec-1342 ( see b(1)(A) )

(A) health insurance issuers, and third party administrators on behalf of group health plans, are required to make payments to an applicable reinsurance entity for any plan year beginning in the 3-year period beginning January 1, 2014 (as specified in paragraph (3)

The way I read it was that group plans ( employer, self-insured ) were to pay in, The individual plans could get reimbursed based on covering HIGH RISK individuals... who knows, clear as mud!
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have my husband's BCBS TX notice from Oct 20 in front of me:

The monthly premium increase is $21 for "two new Affordable Care Act fees" starting Jan1.
Quote:
These fees are the "Annual Fee on Health Insurers" and the "Transitional Reinsurance Contribution Fee".
A footnote mentions the Reinsurance Fee lasts through 2016.

So clearly these fees apply to individual policies.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Are these fees already built into the new quote I received for next year's insurance, or are they on top of them?
Included I suspect. I haven't seen any indication otherwise.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
This fee is intended to decrease through 2016, when the fee ends.
Is wagering still outlawed on this site?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Is wagering still outlawed on this site?
You betcha!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You betcha!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Really folks, who cares. The fees are modest and the ACA will help a lot of retirees.
Theduckguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theduckguru View Post
Really folks, who cares. The fees are modest and the ACA will help a lot of retirees.
Fees and taxes have a way of creeping up and piling on over time. In addition, these fees appear through the back door under the guise of making PPACA revenue neutral. IMHO PPACA will never be revenue neutral - maybe on some government accounting sheet - but the government simply added fees and taxes on a variety of goods and services (some not even related to health care) in an attempt to pay for this law. For people with unsubsidized premiums PPACA insurance costs more than conventional individual insurance. And for those who receive subsidies don't forget that's somebody else's money paying for your premium.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Administrator

Actually, these fees are an effort to help pay the cost of setting up and operating the exchanges, and seem pretty "upfront" to me. Risk management for the benefit of the insurers is also included here. They certainly aren't hidden. ACA tax credits and cost sharing subsidies are paid for from general tax revenue.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote