Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I liked the fumble description - but actually it seems more like they threw pick-sixes on the first two offensive possessions.
But will be interesting to see the outcome in the end when the final gun sounds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
And then there are some like me who really want to buy on the exchange (much cheaper policy) but cannot get the darned site to work no matter how hard they try. My old policy is cancelled but I cannot get the exchange to work, I am trapped.

Jo Ann
This has been posted several times here, don't know if you've seen. Use Internet Explorer, then go to 'Tools' drop down, select clear Internet cache(use defaults). Most folks here have had ok luck with that tweak. Every time you get kicked off or logoff, do it again.

MRG

Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
What I find interesting is in some states such as mine, the carriers went out of their way to sign you up for an extension through next year, or even recruited people to sign up with them to avoid Obamacare for a year. Yet other states this did not happen, and thus the cancellations.
It is almost as if some companies, anticipating a possible rough roll out, made a business decision to try to keep their business and their customers out of the fray as much as possible while others did not. I can't think of another reason for them doing so. Can you?

I'm grateful to have the one year extension...but at this rate..we could still be dealing with it next year at this time.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Do you currently have a catastrophic plan? It seems that people with those have been most effected (cost % wise) with all the added new preventative care health screening exams, added new coverage and laws added to policies.
We currently have a high deductible Kaiser plan that is almost identical to the 'new' bronze ACA plan we were offered by Kaiser as a replacement. Our current plan includes basic preventative care at no additional cost, partially covered prescriptions, emergency out of network coverage, and no lifetime limit on claims. Basically, it was a solid plan with clearly spelled out financial exposures, and we'd be ecstatic to be able to keep it until we reach Medicare age.

We'll see what continues to unfold in the next few days.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
It is almost as if some companies, anticipating a possible rough roll out, made a business decision to try to keep their business and their customers out of the fray as much as possible while others did not. I can't think of another reason for them doing so. Can you?

I'm grateful to have the one year extension...but at this rate..we could still be dealing with it next year at this time.
We're signed up (enrolled) for a policy through our state's exchange. It's a good deal for us. Although I'm not a fan of Obamacare - because I don't believe it's going to get at the root cause of rapidly rising healthcare costs, I'll take it while I can get it.

I'm very concerned though about next year and beyond because the way things are going the insured pool is likely to look very different than expected. This could lead to even higher rates. It seems to me that the one year extension could just exacerbate the problem.

But given the mess that's been created thus far, and the fact that Mr. Obama is staunchly opposed to any changes in the law (I suppose due to fear of opening the flood gates), I don't think there's any question that we'll be dealing with this all over again next year.

As a side note, I find it interesting (sad?) that I've yet to read or hear a reporter, politician or talking head who knows as much about the ACA and it's application than those on this board.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The only purpose of this announcement is to give outs to the politicians who can now say that cancellations aren't the result of the ACA but as a result of the insurance companies being greedy or the insurance commissioners not acting to look out for the people.

The insurance companies played by the new rules as outlined in the ACA and have taken 3+ years to get to this point! all along letting the politicians review and approve what they were doing. The insurance commissioners were holding the insurers feet to the fire or be in compliance with the new federal law that overrode state requirements. It's taken 3+ years to redefine networks, run the pricing models, and to be prepared to do what they were ordered to do by the government.

Now, in less than 30 days, they're being expected to turn on a dime, re establish networks, retract 5,000,000 cancellations, run new pricing models (which won't negatively impact the new ACA pricing), and to bail out the same government that was requiring the changes to begin with. And (apparently) do it all without increasing prices for those extended prices.

Worst part is that all of this simply "kicks the can down the road" twelve months which, and this is strictly coincidental, I'm sure, to just after the 2014 elections. A year from now, even If the insurance providers can sort this all out and the states can manage to approve it all, we will be in exactly the same spot we are today....except no one will be talking elections for another two years.

What I personally want or know is this.

I buy a plan from the exchange that covers pre existing condition. It goes into effect in January. What happens next year when it's time for renewal? Are these new plans all "guaranteed renewal" even if the selected insurer decides that they're going to discontinue participation in the exchange process?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #27

This measure can affect many of us and we don't yet have all the details. If we can avoid speculating about the politics and keep the thread positive it may be of help to those of us directly impacted.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn4 View Post
.....What I personally want or know is this.

I buy a plan from the exchange that covers pre existing condition. It goes into effect in January. What happens next year when it's time for renewal? Are these new plans all "guaranteed renewal" even if the selected insurer decides that they're going to discontinue participation in the exchange process?
Your political analysis is spot on and is obvious.

On your question, my understanding is that policies are not guaranteed renewable. While an insurer could withdraw from writing individual insurance and it would force you to change insurers, unless all insurers withdraw from writing individual insurance you will be able to buy a policy that covers preexisting conditions.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #29

Multiple threads on the same subject, so let's close one and use the other (here)