Oh No Husband Just Diagnosed with Influenza

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH woke up this morning and said he did not feel well (sore throat, stuffy nose, generally blah), we took his temp and it was 102! Went to the doctor, had the quick flu test and it came back positive. DH is now on Tamiflu and I am wearing a mask, moving into the guest room, washing door knobs and light switches with bleach cleaner, washing my hands, etc.

So far I feel fine but DH felt fine yesterday too. I am notifying the 10 people we had lunch with yesterday about the diagnosis.

Yes, we both had the flu shot back in October. DH has a compromised immune system because he takes Humira for psoriatic arthritis so maybe that it is why he got the flu even though he had the flu shot and it seems like the vaccine was pretty effective this year..

Doc told DH to take Tamiflu, musinex, alternate tylenol and advil (doc said not to take aspirin, not sure why). DH will of course stay home until flu has run its course. I am fixing him chicken noodle soup, encouraging him to drink fluids.

What else can I do to help DH? What can I do to avoid getting it myself? Of course it may be too late for me because he was infectious yesterday when he had no symptoms and I gave him a kiss on the lips!

Last edited:
You can google "flu home health care" or similar phrases and get the info, but lots of rest and warm fluids (chicken noodle soup, tea, water). Humidifier and/or steamy showers and/or pain meds will help with sore throat. Also, there are topical pain drops like Sucrets that work really well for me.

For you: you already got the flu shot. Give him space, wash your hands frequently, stay out of the way of his coughs, stay hydrated, and take it as easy as you can so you don't wear yourself out and get sick with something else.

I spent 2 weeks in bed last year with it. My husband didn’t get it. It just has to run its course.

I don't know if science backs it up, but I have found that Vitamin C seems to help inoculate me when the DW gets some funk. One of my SILs works in an elementary school and is sick constantly...I call her the carrier monkey.

DW and I both caught flu together last year. The most miserable 2 weeks we’ve ever spent together as a couple.

For you: you already got the flu shot. Give him space, wash your hands frequently, stay out of the way of his coughs, stay hydrated, and take it as easy as you can so you don't wear yourself out and get sick with something else.
This.

To those of you suggesting Vitamin C, DH and I eat alot of fruits with Vitamin C and take a Vitamin C supplement every day. We told our doctor this and he said the eating fruit was good but the Vitamin C supplement was a waste of money...

Pharmacist said that the flu season was just now getting bad in our area, she was predicting a late bad flu season so everyone take care.

Your plan looks great... I would add Neti Pot 2x a day for congestion..

I'd be sure I was stocked up on

tissues
canned soup
otc meds
vicks vapor rub

I was mildly shocked at how many boxes of tissues we went through when all of us had a mild flu at the same time last year. I was also glad that we didn't need to go out for anything.

+1 on the vitamin C.... Not sure if it's just in my mind but it sure seems to help ward off colds and flu (for me anyway). First sign of a sore throat, ill feelings, etc, and I start popping the vitamin C pills.

Your plan looks great... I would add Neti Pot 2x a day for congestion..

OP here, we use the Nell Med sinus rinse everyday but my DH still gets sick so I am not sure if it helps him or not.

I'd be sure I was stocked up on

tissues
canned soup
otc meds
vicks vapor rub

I was mildly shocked at how many boxes of tissues we went through when all of us had a mild flu at the same time last year. I was also glad that we didn't need to go out for anything.

Thanks for the reminder of Vicks Vapor Rub. Peoples Pharmacy recommends rubbing Vicks on the soles of feet under socks at bedtime and that seems to stop coughing. I will remind DH to do that.

OP here. If I do get sick it will be an opportunity to try grocery delivery to the house. I have been meaning to try that, this would be a good time. I could order a case of tissues.

OP here. I could order a case of tissues.

get the aloe ones, i resisted "goopy" tissues forever, but they are golden when you to blow multiple times per day.

I don't know if science backs it up, but I have found that Vitamin C seems to help inoculate me when the DW gets some funk. One of my SILs works in an elementary school and is sick constantly...I call her the carrier monkey.

We always load up with Vitamin C and zinc, four or five times the RDAs on both. Anecdotally it seems to help us recover faster, though I can't prove ti scientifically.

With the same symptoms as the OP my son was tested and diagnosed with flu and immediately started Tamiflu. He left for a skiing trip the next morning and had a good trip. Either Tamiflu is very effective or this year's strain is pretty mild. A few other people I know have experienced the same symptoms and done nothing and gotten better in a few days. If they had flu, it is a mild strain.

alternate tylenol and advil (doc said not to take aspirin, not sure why).
Advil (ibuprofen) and aspirin have similar effects and so you can't accumulate the two. You could take aspirin instead of Advil, but the latter is probably more effective for pain and inflammation. Tylenol (acetaminophen/paracetamol) and ibuprofen are completely different chemically and so you can take a safe maximum dose of both.

I started to have flu symptoms last Wednesday and I am only starting to feel better. Fever, muscle aches, coughing, congestion, sore throat, the whole nine yard. I just stayed in bed for 3 days and kept hydrated. I also took some acetaminophen to control the fever.

I recently developed mild symptoms (along the line of congestion, runny nose, etc). I’d gotten this year’s flu shot in early October but my understanding is that cases are showing up now in my region.

One nice benefit of being out of the working routine is that you have the flexibility to really stay home and take it easy, take care of yourself in the ways mentioned in this thread, whatever works for you. And less chance of exposure in locations like your workplace.

Doc told DH to take Tamiflu, musinex, alternate tylenol and advil (doc said not to take aspirin, not sure why).

DW and I both found Tamiflu to be amazing. We both felt dramatically better the first day...

OP here, DH seems to be holding his own, sleeping ALOT which is probably what his body needs. He went to bed last night at 9, slept until 7 am. I got him up to eat breakfast and take Tamiflu and he went back to bed. Last time he had the flu (several years ago) the Tamiflu really upset his stomach so I hope that does not happen.

For the person whose son went skiing with the flu, I am glad your son got along so well. But DH is age 68 with a lowered immune system due to Humira so his situation is much more serious. Plus, I think someone with the flu needs to stay home for some period to avoid spreading the virus.

So far I am OK (fingers crossed). I just put on a large crockpot of soup so we will have something to eat just in case. The doc said the incubation period could be up to a week so I am not out of the woods yet. Neighbors and friends have offered to bring food and supplies and leave it on the porch but I would not let anyone come into the house.

Thanks to all for your concern.

It reads like you are doing all the right things. It is great that your neighbors are willing to help you. That is a big plus!

I was very sick back in August a day after my wife started an overseas vacation. My neighbors helped me immensely at the time, so my wife did not have to cut short her vacation even though I had 2 surgeries. I survived.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom