Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About 18 years ago I had a new-to-me dentist who was putting crowns on several molars over a period of several visits. During one visit I lost count after the 17th shot of pain killer.

It was a flat fee for the crowns. I wonder if he knew what he was doing?

I did eventually figure out that he was managing my dental work to the maximum that my dental insurance would cover and to maximize his profits. I soon switched to another dentist.

omni

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #22

MBAustin, you are right! But it is strangely comforting to hear dental war stories when you yourself are in the throes of teeth pain and the equal pain of high cost treatments. For every pain one has, someone has it worse.

I think that just about the worst pain in the world is toothache. In my better moments I can only thank God for the treatments available today versus what people in previous generations must have gone through.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40
MBAustin, you are right! But it is strangely comforting to hear dental war stories when you yourself are in the throes of teeth pain and the equal pain of high cost treatments. For every pain one has, someone has it worse.

I think that just about the worst pain in the world is toothache. In my better moments I can only thank God for the treatments available today versus what people in previous generations must have gone through.
I don't know..I think they just said the heck with it and pulled them all out and got dentures. Cheaper and easier. I know several personal friends who are older that did it mostly because they were too cheap to deal with it. Me, I guess I am too vain, and will probably suffer through many of the above posts to keep my teeth.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #24

DW had some dental microsurgery done this past year. Minimal anesthesia, short time in the chair, and zero pain. Complex extraction.
The dentist has been doing this for a little over a year, and had a book of patient letters and comments on their experience... perhaps 200+ pages. Every one complimentary and expressing amazement.
What really got to me, was that during the hour I was in the waiting room, at least 8 patients came out from the inner offices. Each person gave it to be known that he/she had experienced no pain at all. One dentist.

While waiting, there was a computer video, that showed the process in detail. Maybe more than ya wanted to know.

Perhaps this is more common than I know. Has anyone here had micro dental surgery?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post

I think that just about the worst pain in the world is toothache.
Couldn't agree with you more although I never experienced it but I hear a kidney stone's pain is as bad if not worse.

Before my last root canal procedure the pain was so severe that I was on 500mg of Vicodin every 2 hours waiting for the antibiotics to work
Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #26

Well, had the second apio yesterday. The endodontist shot me up pretty well (3 shots) so I had no pain during the procedure--just the relative pain of tasting blood, the whine of the instruments, and the dentist sighing every so often at what he was seeing (the latter the worst sound!). The tooth extends well into my sinus so it was a fairly delicate procedure. He did find and clean out some decay--which is a relief, actually, because at least a possible cause of my on-going tooth pain was found. I'm at least hoping this will be yet another stop-gap before the tooth needs to be pulled but only time will tell. No pain still, and I made it through the night. I was told to alternate advil with tylenol, and am also on antibiotics. I iced the area yesterday but was told I'll probably have a chipmunk cheek tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #27

Good. Hope that fixes it for you. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had an extraction about 2 years ago on a first molar. They started me on pain pills before I left the dental office. I don't remember any pain, just some discomfort for the first evening. I later had a bone graft done followed by an implant and then a crown.

The whole process took about 8 months. There was waiting between the steps to allow things to settle down and heal properly.

In total it was about 8 visits, half of which were just check ups after a procedure. I think it cost between 3 and 3k about half of which was paid for by dental insurance.

The final outcome was worth the wait and the money.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Well, had the second apio yesterday. The endodontist shot me up pretty well (3 shots) so I had no pain during the procedure--just the relative pain of tasting blood, the whine of the instruments, and the dentist sighing every so often at what he was seeing (the latter the worst sound!). The tooth extends well into my sinus so it was a fairly delicate procedure. He did find and clean out some decay--which is a relief, actually, because at least a possible cause of my on-going tooth pain was found. I'm at least hoping this will be yet another stop-gap before the tooth needs to be pulled but only time will tell. No pain still, and I made it through the night. I was told to alternate advil with tylenol, and am also on antibiotics. I iced the area yesterday but was told I'll probably have a chipmunk cheek tomorrow.
Sounds like as good an outcome as possible! Glad your tooth did not have to be pulled yet.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote