Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #21

Also known as CRI (cranial rectal inversion). Applies to former co-workers, bosses and some family members. No know cure, treatments involve one way airline tickets for the afflicted. For the affected (us0 regular consumption of fermented or distilled beverages softens the symptoms. An example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cranial Rectal Inversion.jpg (29.7 KB, 185 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought this thread was gonna be about how bad they(we) both smell...

Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom but what is a PITA is that when I do so, without fail, the cats wake up, trot over to the kitchen, and suddenly want to be fed
That's when you get to practice tough love.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #24

Cats who want to be fed will countenance no tough love, they will happily and loudly declare their imminent starvation until you relent.

I know much younger guys (early 40s) with the same problems as y'all, and they'd probably benefit from not drinking after dinner as well, but alas, that's when you usually are drinking beer and chatting up the ladies, so they consider it the lesser of all evils.

And that "gouging" thing, yeah, they need a PR team working on that description. Even I winced, and I've not got those parts.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I just get up in the night, not that big a deal.

I tried Flomax and it seemed to make a big difference but it exacerbated a dizziness problem I have had for decades and interfered with my biking so my doc switched me to Avodart (which theoretically reduces the growth from BPH). After years of that (and continued, if milder dizziness) I read that Avodart can also have dizziness issues although less prevalent than with Flomax. So I stopped that a few months ago. I have noticed zero impact on my nightly routine. In looking back over the last ten or more years I think I experienced an acute problem -- maybe from a urinary track infection -- since my original symptoms were way more distressing than getting up a few times in the night. My initial reaction to Flomax may have simply coincided with getting over the infection. Worrying that the initial symptoms would recur led me to try Avodart rather than just stop the Flomax. Net result -- 10 years wasted on unneeded and expensive drugs.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Getting up at night for wee purposes is not limited to persons who possess prostates.

Amethyst
Old 02-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #27

Quote:
I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom but what is a PITA is that when I do so, without fail, the cats wake up, trot over to the kitchen, and suddenly want to be fed
You are forgetting that the sole reason for your existence in this world is to serve them. That's their story and they're sticking to it.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

I tried Flomax and it seemed to make a big difference but it exacerbated a dizziness problem I have had for decades and interfered with my biking so my doc switched me to Avodart (which theoretically reduces the growth from BPH). After years of that (and continued, if milder dizziness) I read that Avodart can also have dizziness issues although less prevalent than with Flomax. So I stopped that a few months ago. I have noticed zero impact on my nightly routine. In looking back over the last ten or more years I think I experienced an acute problem -- maybe from a urinary track infection -- since my original symptoms were way more distressing than getting up a few times in the night. My initial reaction to Flomax may have simply coincided with getting over the infection. Worrying that the initial symptoms would recur led me to try Avodart rather than just stop the Flomax. Net result -- 10 years wasted on unneeded and expensive drugs.

Your issues expressed Donheff are what concerns me down the road. I always thought I would take a script for any issue and be done with it. But the few times I have had to take something short term there was always a side effect I didn't like. I sure hope I do not ever get stuck having to take something long term that has dizziness as a side effect.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That is because you are not really retired; you are house staff for the cats.

Three beagles I know have their own butler, kitchen staff, chauffeurs, personal trainers, gardeners, and maid.

The pay is great, though.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Appears to me that the science that surrounds this has a long way to go. PSA testing has fallen in favor from being a major part of a physical checkup.

IMHO, aside from the fear of cancer, or other unknown serious problems, it appears to me that it it is an age related factor. A niusance, but if that's the worst part of getting old... not too bad.

Cartainly a boon for the health and advertising industry... Just more to add to pills, catheters, condoms, vibrators and now the BMW... to our prime time viewing enjoyment.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...(snip)...
I know much younger guys (early 40s) with the same problems as y'all, and they'd probably benefit from not drinking after dinner as well, but alas, that's when you usually are drinking beer and chatting up the ladies, so they consider it the lesser of all evils.
Last night I had one beer with dinner. I don't know if it was the beer that was responsible but the frequency last night was increased a lot. I usually drink a glass of wine with dinner.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the alternative. There are a few surgical or semi-surgical procedures they use. besides the cutting/gouging out of excess tissue they can now heat or freeze the excess tissue or run an antenna of sorts up there and tune it to some an appropriate frequency to shrink things. None of this crap is appealing but it might be the last time you will have have a chance to "be the man you used to be" in any capacity.
Yea, it seems like these procedures could make you impudent.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I can't avoid drinking in the evening. I get terrible dry mouth at night. I keep a water bottle (bike bottle) on my bed side table and takes hits all night. I won't travel without a water bottle.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Yea, it seems like these procedures could make you impudent.
Yup. Imprudent too. Pretty serious stuff we're talking here.

As to the original topic, saw palmetto has helped me. It apparently doesn't help everyone, but with no side effects or prescription needed and relatively low cost, it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #35

Bladder sensitivity can exacerbate the symptoms of BPH.
I know my bladder does not like potatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, and asparagus. I avoid those and salad at dinner time. DW (sans prostate) swears by this freeze-dried aloe vera concentrate recommended by her doctor -

https://www.desertharvest.com/shop//...on=show_detail
Old 02-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

The Flomax provides quick, but temporary relief. The Avodart takes months to start shrinking the prostate down and after ten years you probably reduced the volume of the prostate to the point that you are now comfortable without medication. If you had not used the Avodart for 10 years, your prostate would have continued to enlarge and you might be looking at surgery. Also, you reduced your risk of prostate cancer (Avodart and finasteride are protective, Flomax is not). I would call your results a success rather than a waste of money.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

As to the original topic, saw palmetto has helped me. It apparently doesn't help everyone, but with no side effects or prescription needed and relatively low cost, it doesn't hurt to try.
Me too, use the GNC men's prostate. OK it's subjective, but I feel better. I can say with confidence, it's not all in my head.
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The Flomax provides quick, but temporary relief. The Avodart takes months to start shrinking the prostate down and after ten years you probably reduced the volume of the prostate to the point that you are now comfortable without medication. If you had not used the Avodart for 10 years, your prostate would have continued to enlarge and you might be looking at surgery. Also, you reduced your risk of prostate cancer (Avodart and finasteride are protective, Flomax is not). I would call your results a success rather than a waste of money.
Possibly, but, in retrospect, I suspect it more likely that I had an acute infection. When I went to the doctor I had been experiencing increased nightly "calls" for years but an almost complete blockage came on fast which drove me to seek help. As I remembered back, I believe I stressed the general increase in blockage but not the rapid escalation. I also remember that the doctor could not feel a large prostate. In prescribing the Flomax he noted that sometimes the enlargement is on the side away from the digital exam and is thus hidden. I took the Flomax for two or three years so, if I would otherwise have continued with the acute symptoms, the effect was certainly not temporary. I only quit when I took up cycling and learned that Flomax might be contributing to my dizzy spells. I immediately replaced it with Avodart and, again in retrospect, suspect it didn't do much since I noticed no change in symptoms in the weeks after switching. Later as I read about how Avodart works it dawned on me that, if I had a real problem masked by Flomax, the problem would have reasserted itself since the Avodart takes time to work.

Unfortunately, I may never know for sure. And I worry that you may be correct in which case stopping the Avodart was a mistake.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #39

I am beginning to have symptoms. Most nights, I get up once or twice a night, which is not too bad. One thing I wonder, with all the advanced medical technology and equipment, seems like there could be a more scientific way to measure the prostate. But honestly, I don't think the doctor enjoys the process either.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #40

3 ways exercise helps the prostate (yes, the prostate) - Harvard Health Publications

Quote:
Although relatively few studies have looked at the impact of exercise specifically on prostate health, the ones that have suggest that regular physical activity can be good for this walnut-sized gland.

BPH prevention. In the ongoing Harvard-based Health Professionals Follow-up Study, men who were more physically active were less likely to suffer from BPH. Even low- to moderate-intensity physical activity, such as walking regularly at a moderate pace, yielded benefits.

Prostatitis treatment. Italian researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial (considered the gold standard of medical research) in men with chronic prostatitis. Those in the aerobic exercise group walked briskly three times a week. A comparison group did non-aerobic exercise (leg lifts, sit ups, and stretching) three times a week. At the end of 18 weeks, men in both groups felt better, but those doing aerobic exercises reported less prostatitis pain, less anxiety and depression, and better quality of life.

Prostate cancer progression. In a study of more than 1,400 men diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer, men who walked briskly (not leisurely) for at least three hours a week were 57% less likely to have their cancer progress than those who walked less often and less vigorously. In an analysis from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, men diagnosed with localized prostate cancer who engaged in vigorous activity at least three hours each week had a 61% lower chance of dying from the illness, compared to men who engaged in vigorous activity less than one hour a week.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote