Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
Can you substitute bike riding to running?
Absolutely! You can do the same workouts on a bike as you can on the ground........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You guys got me lusting after that Concept 2 rower again!
Who's he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
Can you substitute bike riding to running?
Absolutely, and if you go to a "spin" class you will find that they put in plenty of interval training - sprints and hill climbs etc.

When I cycle outdoors without DW I add a series of sprints to my ride as where I live is pretty flat so hill climbing is not possible.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You guys got me lusting after that Concept 2 rower again!

Audrey
Rowing seems to be out of style theses days but I love the workout. However, it is true that compared to some apparatus types, the difference between a good rower and a moderate one is huge.

Only negative is inability to have your hands free, so you can't turn the pages of a book, or adjust the iPod.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Some stuff I've discovered while surfing instead of w*rking...

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple

Why I Stopped Volume Training… — Zen to Fitness Why I Stopped Volume Training… : Zen to Fitness

PaNu - P

Myths Under the Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness

Granted, to be a distance runner/cyclist/swimmer, one must train for those activities. But, for general fitness, it appears that "chronic cardio" is not only not the best way to get/stay fit, it's actually somewhat counterproductive...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for those interesting (but sometimes conflicting) links, HFWR. I really want to get the most benefit out of my exercising time, and I'm starting to question some of the conventional wisdom.

One interesting thing is this: I exercise almost every day, but except for that hour or so, I'm either sitting at the piano, the computer, at the table, or on the couch.

On our recent two-week camping trip, which involved a lot of "chores" (getting firewood, setting up the tent, walking to the restroom, walking to the shower, etc.) Lena and I lost 3.5 and 4 pounds, respectively.

IOW, part of the benefit of long walks may be that there is less chair time.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I got out of those articles:

A Case Against Cardio (from a former mileage king) | Mark's Daily Apple
It's best to do lower intensity exercise (e.g. walking) with some high intensity intervals. Long cardio work is bad.
Why I Stopped Volume Training… — Zen to Fitness Why I Stopped Volume Training… : Zen to Fitness
Best is: a sport (tennis, dancing, etc), sprints, bodyweight workouts, and stretching.
PaNu - P
A group of elite long-distance runners had less body fat, better lipid profiles, and better heart rates than people being tested for cardiac disease, but, paradoxically, the runners had more calcified plaque in their heart arteries, according to a study reported here.
Myths Under the Microscope Part 1: The Low Intensity Fat Burning Zone - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience
Moderate exercise does not burn more fat than higher intensity exercise.
Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness
At ages around 60 or above, it's better to ease off the weight and intensity of exercise.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #47

Thanks for the summary Al

I feel pretty good about our exercise regime now. Our "normal" routine is:

Monday - 30 mins weight training followed by 60 mins of a ballet style workout (lots of stretching and balance work)

Tuesday - ride bike 7 miles to gym (easy ride) followed by 90 mins Body Flow workout (Tai Chi, Yoga & Pilates), then ride back

Wednesday - 30 mins weight training followed by 60 mins of Yin Yoga

Thursday - 60 mins Cardio workout which the instructor varies a lot week by week - today was circuit training.

Friday - 60 mins Deep Water Trekking (cardio workout in deep water wearing a float to keep you vertical)

Saturday - 90 - 120 mins of singles tennis

Sunday - ride bike 7 miles to our favorite breakfast spot, eat then ride back.

I will often play tennis one other evening, and some days we'll just go for a long bike ride, or ride to a nature reserve close by and go for a hike and picnic.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

For most folks, ANY exercise would be an improvement over what they do now.

Shorter, more intense exercise - such as sprints/intervals, and resistance/weight training appear to be more effective both at improving fitness and strength, and at resetting metabolism. Given that many of us are pinched for time, getting more bang for the buck is important.

There's no reason for folks interested in fitness, vs training for something, to overtrain.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Rowing seems to be out of style theses days but I love the workout. However, it is true that compared to some apparatus types, the difference between a good rower and a moderate one is huge.
I had the opportunity to use a Concept 2 several times in a gym years ago. Enough to build up some stamina at it - and that is tough! The main thing was I was able to verify that the repetitive motion did not bother my knees or my wrists - something I struggle with on a lot of other aerobic exercise equipment.

This was a surprise to me - I have so much trouble with my knees that I really expected to have problems. In general, I really avoid deep knee bends, but I guess the impact on the rower is minimal, there isn't a huge amount of weight on the knees, and the legs are kept in a straight line thus avoiding any torque on the knees, so I had no problems at all.

Audrey