Join Early Retirement Today

on Original Medicare + Medigap + Part D... record keeping?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

on Original Medicare + Medigap + Part D... record keeping?

I'm a Medicare newby, and wonder what others are doing here with regards to any personal record keeping, for those on Original Medicare (NOT a MA Plan).

For 40+ years of health insurance plans, DW has kept track of what we paid, when, to who, what the insurance co. picked up, what the state of our deductibles were, etc. This was on paper originally, until we got our first home PC (a 286 machine) and went to a spreadsheet. When I was on my own separate insurance for intervals in the past, I did the same.

Now I've transitioned to Original Medicare, all the EOB-equivalents are online and spread across three different entities. Printing out some of them that are PDFs would be easy, those that are not would require the cutting tool to avoid creating a paper monster.

Are you doing any sort of separate record keeping system? Or just looking at what's online? Are you keeping a scratch pad on deductibles? I have no experience with this!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Nope

bja1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I maintain an Excel spreadsheet on almost everything, and tracking all of our healthcare spending is one. I include the monthly policy costs, and I check the online Medicare and Medigap sites for charges long before I get a paper bill. I just fill in columns with the amount billed, medicare approved, amount applied to the deductible, and amount I owe. It's arranged by service date and provider. And there is a column for date paid.

All prescription costs are in there as well.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

One of the things I most love about DH being on Medicare is the lack of paperwork involved on my end for getting things paid. That said, I do print out his quarterly Medicare statement (basically to help keep track of which doc did what to him when) along with the Humana and CVS Silver Scripts statements of what was paid and to whom, all stored in his 3-ring "Health" binder. He can't remember doctor's names, so this has been helpful to him.

He's only been on Medicare for 1/2 a year, so how long I'll keep these paper records is yet to be seen.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We get no bills or copay at the time of service is provided. Later the various statements and emails start coming in. To keep things straight in my mind, I keep a paper copy of everything related to a potential claim. with a small checklist paperclipped and it is kept in a file called Medical Pending. When everything is in agreement (Dr's office, Medicare and Supplement provider) I then, and only then pay whatever is due the Dr's office. I staple the papers together and move them to a file named Closed Medical. Sometimes it can be a real challenge to match things up as the name on the statements do not always match. Sometimes there is a 2nd billing from the Dr as payment pass in the mail. Here is a copy of my sheet. THis helps me keep all the billing straight. YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (20.6 KB, 20 views)
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #6

I track what I think is useful. If medical expenses can be used to withdraw HSA funds down the road or be a deduction for taxes, then I record it and save the receipt (usually electronically).

At the end of the day most of the records we can keep are just trashed. They really have little use. Save the ones that have a purpose.

We've had to clean out both our parents houses and it is amazing how much useful stuff people keep. Keep what is useful and enjoy your life.

It makes sense to me to do what CRLLS notes, keeping record of all related bills until everything is covered or paid.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

DH is on original Medicare and a supplement. I scan in the quarterly Medicare statement and save it. I also download or scan it EOBs from his supplement carrier. He doesn't take regular prescriptions so rarely have anything on Part D. When he does, I scan that statement in as well.

With Medicare and a supplement it is actually pretty simple so it is easy to keep track of it all.
Katsmeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My former employer reimburses me for my Medicare Part B premiums, though I must submit receipts. Initially, I paid these premiums directly and got a receipt. Now that I am on Social Security the premiums are deducted from my payment, but I'm at a loss as to where this is documented to use as a reimbursement receipt. Anyone else solved this puzzle?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My former employer reimburses me for my Medicare Part B premiums, though I must submit receipts. Initially, I paid these premiums directly and got a receipt. Now that I am on Social Security the premiums are deducted from my payment, but I'm at a loss as to where this is documented to use as a reimbursement receipt. Anyone else solved this puzzle?
I have an HRA from former employer who reimburses medical insurance premiums (up to some limit). The HRA accepts the SS statement that comes out late in the yr (typ. Dec) that shows the SS projected for the next yr. That statement also shows the Medicare premiums for the next yr. The HRA reimburses monthly based on that statement which must be submitted annually.

If your employer does not accept that,the only other thing I am aware of is your tax document SSA-1099 which also gives that info.........the only problem with that is that you receive that in Jan after the yr has ended so it would be late.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #10

I was originally on Medicare and Medigap Plan F. Between them,they covered everything so I did nothing. Both EOBs (Medicare/Medigap) were mailed to me so I did no online searching or printing. I never received bills from providers since they knew I wasn't paying anything.

Last yr, I switched to Plan G which covers everything but the $185? Medicare deductible so I will get provider bills.....at least until that deductible is paid, I assume.
I don't know if any provider bills will be sent after that.

After years of having to send in bills to get reimbursed, the Medicare/Medigap combo has been incredibly easy. Only once has there been a case where a bill wasn't taken care of and I basically told them........I don't pay anybody......you two guys (Medicare/Medigap) figure it out........and they did......a coding error by doctor's office.

kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote