Join Early Retirement Today

Once in the risk pool can you get out of it?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once in the risk pool can you get out of it?

While I suspect the answer to be "No", I am wondering if health insurance companies that place you in a risk pool due to conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes for which you are taking medication, will move you back to healthy status if you make life style changes where by you no longer need medication and have normal test results?

I guess if Obamacare holds, this may become moot in 2014, although I'm not 100% sure of that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I don't know from first hand experience, but since I just got turned down for health insurance yesterday (due to a steroid injection in my hip almost 2 years ago) - the paperwork says that you can re-apply when you have been "sign, symptom and treatment free for 12 months". Not sure how they track that - but if you don't have any doctor visits or meds for a year, then I guess you can re-apply.

This whole process is very frustrating!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While I suspect the answer to be "No", I am wondering if health insurance companies that place you in a risk pool due to conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes for which you are taking medication, will move you back to healthy status if you make life style changes where by you no longer need medication and have normal test results?

I guess if Obamacare holds, this may become moot in 2014, although I'm not 100% sure of that.
The might move you back, but they also might refuse to pay in the future saying you had a improperly reported preexisting condition or something similar. Will you give them the benefit of the doubt?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The might move you back, but they also might refuse to pay in the future saying you had a improperly reported preexisting condition or something similar. Will you give them the benefit of the doubt?
If they knowingly move you back out of the risk pool, I don't see how they could refuse to pay in the future, although I suppose if charges related to the previous pre-existing condition reemerged they may elect to bump you back into the the risk pool and charge a higher rate vs refusing to pay.

Given the limited input, this must not have occurred much if at all. I find the medical insurance area to be the most unsettling part of ER, especially not knowing what is going to happen to medicare and whether Drs will continue to support it as cuts continue.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I doubt you'd get moved out of the risk pool unless the pre-existing condition was excluded from coverage.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #6

7 years ago when I was underwritten by BCBS, I had a history of elevated cholesterol from years before. I showed 2 recent blood tests where I was just under the wire. I explained I lowered my cholesterol by diet changes and exercise. I had no exclusions for pre-existing conditions on my policy.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

There may be some conditions which can be managed with medications, such as cholesterol and hypertension, and possibly with diet/lifestyle changes as well. I would think it's possible to get out of the risk pool for these if your "numbers" are well within the normal range with medication, but it's far from a sure thing and I'm sure there would be some fights with insurance companies about it.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote