Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, I met all the guidelines. Waist measurement just barely, but I met it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Ah, it doesn't add 'several' or even any inches to everyone's measurement. And I think the measurement is taken at the line defined by the top of the hip bones. Seems many belly buttons have migrated south of there.
It does add a couple inches to my measurement (and I imagine many others'), if you measure at the belly button level rather than at above hip bone, belt level, or pants size (which are the same thing, at least for me). I don't have a completely flat stomach.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am OK on all five factors but I am not sure I buy the conclusion that 88% of the country is metabolically unhealthy.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am OK on all five factors but I am not sure I buy the conclusion that 88% of the country is metabolically unhealthy.
I wouldn't be surprised if the results were 50% or even 60%, but yeah, 88% is awfully high. Then again, their criteria seem rather perfectionistic to me. It's like, either you meet this rather high standard, or else you're declared "metabolically unhealthy." It seems rather black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you take medication for any of the mentioned items then you automatically fail, as the article specifies "... not taking any related medication".
Dang, I'm still taking one medication. I'm going to stop taking it, so then I'll be healthy.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

I don't have any trouble believing that 88% of adults don't pass on all 5 of these factors, when you consider the diet that the average American is eating, and the lack of exercise by most people. And actually, if you look at the bar chart in the study and consider only adults over 40, it is WAY higher than 88%, since only 9% of those in the 30-49 group pass, and only 2.3% of those in the 60+ group pass. So if you are over age 60 like I am, and you passed on all 5, you are among just 2.3% of adults your age in the country.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #46

I’m impressed with that entire website. It’s worth exploring.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I don't have any trouble believing that 88% of adults don't pass on all 5 of these factors, when you consider the diet that the average American is eating, and the lack of exercise by most people. And actually, if you look at the bar chart in the study and consider only adults over 40, it is WAY higher than 88%, since only 9% of those in the 30-49 group pass, and only 2.3% of those in the 60+ group pass. So if you are over age 60 like I am, and you passed on all 5, you are among just 2.3% of adults your age in the country.
+1

I think the reason people even live as long as they do is due to all the medication and the healthcare they get. Without it, people would drop like flies.

PS. I am on a med for my high BP, which is diagnosed as "essential". I have always had a high BP of more than 130/90 my life, even when young and even skinnier than I am now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #48

Quote:
+1

I think the reason people even live as long as they do is due to all the medication and the healthcare they get. Without it, people would drop like flies.

PS. I am on a med for my high BP, which is diagnosed as "essential". I have always had a high BP of more than 130/90 my life, even when young and even skinnier than I am now.
+1
ABSOLUTELY

I'm an example of that. Both my paternal grandparents died of heart attacks in their age 40s/50s. My father was in some of the early cholesterol studies in the 1970's, and that's what saved him (his heart finally gave out at 84, a miracle of modern medicine that it lasted that long . I had a severe heart attack at age 51, but modern medicine saved me from dying right then and there.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1

One of the biggest factors is genes.

I take a few pills a day but I don't eat healthy, not even close.

Last week I had blood work done and the results shocked me.
Blood sugar was 90 Not a diabetic

Blood pressure 115/62 I am on one 10 mg B/P pill
Cholesterol 155 I take no meds for that.
Age 71
I just keep moving and work everyday of the week. I am just not made to retire. It was boring and I felt useless . I now fell great
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Well, some people smoke like a chimney, yet live to an old age. There's a lot of randomness in one's longevity, probably mostly from genes.

But as science has not been able to identify all the risk factors in our genes, the only thing one can do is to play safe, and reduce as many of the risk factors as possible.

I used to smoke cigarettes, but have quit for 15 years now. When I was quitting, I wished there could be a DNA test to see if I was one of the impervious smokers so that I could keep on smoking. At this point, I no longer have the crave, and cigarette smoke bothers me now. And smoking has other bad effects, not just a cause for lung cancer, so I do not wish to be able to smoke anymore.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Well, some people smoke like a chimney, yet live to an old age. There's a lot of randomness in one's longevity, probably mostly from genes.

But as science has not been able to identify all the risk factors in our genes, the only thing one can do is to play safe, and reduce as many of the risk factors as possible.

I used to smoke cigarettes, but have quit for 15 years now. When I was quitting, I wished there could be a DNA test to see if I was one of the impervious smokers so that I could keep on smoking. At this point, I no longer have the crave, and cigarette smoke bothers me now. And smoking has other bad effects, not just a cause for lung cancer, so I do not wish to be able to smoke anymore.
I think my dad might be one of those.

About to turn 80 & he's never stopped smoking.

He was a 2 pack/day smoker for decades.

But now he only lights up a few times/day, takes a few puffs, then puts them out.

OTOH, I am caregiver for an older relative who was the heaviest smoker I've ever personally known who was diagnosed with terminal cancer just this September.

They are now currently on Hospice at an assisted living facility near me, too weak to even get out of bed on their own, & asleep most of the time due to the ever increasing dosages of the opioids required to control their pain.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

It is always a good reminder to increase our fruits, vegetables, and exercise.

There is healthy food that tastes good and bad. There is unhealthy food that tastes good and bad. Try to eat a little more of the healthy stuff!
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote