Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
My question is, if I go from off market to marketplace, is there a chance I'd get a decline when applying saying that BCBS already has me enrolled by default?
For BCBSSC, if the enrollment system finds a match on personally identifiable information (SSN, birth date, etc.) the new policy automatically cancels the old one on the effective date.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
For BCBSSC, if the enrollment system finds a match on personally identifiable information (SSN, birth date, etc.) the new policy automatically cancels the old one on the effective date.

Thanks. The answer I like to read .

Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Probably not. When I faced this situation I was concerned BCBS would continue the policy despite not renewing it, but that didn't happen.
Thanks. All these varibles to consider.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I'm still on the fence about signing up with coverage from the marketplace or not.

Since FIRE'ing, I have so little income that paying insurance premiums definitely get me above the 10% limit for a tax deduction. For example, say one only makes $20,000 income a year. 10% of $20,000 is $2,000. A premium of $400 a month is already $4800. In otherwords, in my case is there a real benefit to get a premium tax credit through the markeplace, and then reconcile at tax time or does that just add more number crunching and possible hang ups with applying?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Depends on how many dependents you have, but $20k may be too little to qualify for subsidies- you may be on Medicaid.

Check this out:

Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Depends on how many dependents you have, but $20k may be too little to qualify for subsidies- you may be on Medicaid.
And if you're in a state that didn't expand Medicaid, you could be screwed on both ends.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post

Check this out:

Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
I like that calculator site. Thanks.

$20K (remember, family of 1) at my state would qualify for a subsidy.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And if you're in a state that didn't expand Medicaid, you could be screwed on both ends.
I feel for those folks.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I like that calculator site. Thanks.

$20K (remember, family of 1) at my state would qualify for a subsidy.
Remember, it's not just a premium subsidy you get at that level of income but also cost sharing reduction subsidies if you buy a silver plan. This can result in dramatically lower out of pocket costs if you get sick e.g. deductible of $250 instead of $2500, lower coinsurance and lower maximum out of pocket. You really should check out the exchange plans for your income level.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Remember, it's not just a premium subsidy you get at that level of income but also cost sharing reduction subsidies if you buy a silver plan. This can result in dramatically lower out of pocket costs if you get sick e.g. deductible of $250 instead of $2500, lower coinsurance and lower maximum out of pocket. You really should check out the exchange plans for your income level.
Thanks. The lazy part i me was kinda hoping you'd say not worth the effort .

Looks like more homework for me .
Old 11-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm still on the fence about signing up with coverage from the marketplace or not.
You might consider running a few tax returns and see how it plays-out. My gut feeling is that tax deductions don't mean diddly, especially when you have low income anyway (much of your income is taxed at 0% and 10%). Tax credits, on the other hand, cha-ching! Cash money in your hand! My experience suggests you might need around 250% FPL to keep out of Medicaid territory, so if you can manage around $30K (not sure if you have any traditional IRA's to convert to Roth or not).

So when you open up the tax software (the 2014 version will be good enough), and you put-in the PTC numbers you got from the Kaiser site, you might be surprised at the check uncle sam is willing to send you (look at line 24 on form 8962).

Presuming you are not willing to go without coverage, and you're not a big user of healthcare services, I'd be very surprised if going with, say, a Bronze HSA eligible policy wouldn't be significantly better financially than buying off-exchange. And if you can afford to save some money, you can take $3350 off of your income by putting it into an HSA ($4350 if you're over 55).
Old 11-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You might consider running a few tax returns and see how it plays-out. My gut feeling is that tax deductions don't mean diddly, especially when you have low income anyway (much of your income is taxed at 0% and 10%). Tax credits, on the other hand, cha-ching! Cash money in your hand! My experience suggests you might need around 250% FPL to keep out of Medicaid territory, so if you can manage around $30K (not sure if you have any traditional IRA's to convert to Roth or not).

So when you open up the tax software (the 2014 version will be good enough), and you put-in the PTC numbers you got from the Kaiser site, you might be surprised at the check uncle sam is willing to send you (look at line 24 on form 8962).

Presuming you are not willing to go without coverage, and you're not a big user of healthcare services, I'd be very surprised if going with, say, a Bronze HSA eligible policy wouldn't be significantly better financially than buying off-exchange. And if you can afford to save some money, you can take $3350 off of your income by putting it into an HSA ($4350 if you're over 55).
Points well taken. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

So I went ahead and peeked over at the marketplace. Now I see there's an option to put in a doctor and see if the doc is covered as in-network or not for the plan. I went ahead and listed my doctor for the search. Looks like the way things are going, if I want HSA and my doctor, this leaves me with just one plan to choose from . So much for competition.

Well, at least this should make the decision process easier .
Old 11-15-2015, 06:52 AM   #54

Quote:
So I went ahead and peeked over at the marketplace. Now I see there's an option to put in a doctor and see if the doc is covered as in-network or not for the plan. I went ahead and listed my doctor for the search. Looks like the way things are going, if I want HSA and my doctor, this leaves me with just one plan to choose from . So much for competition.

Well, at least this should make the decision process easier .
There are plenty of people who will have NO marketplace plans with their doctor in-network. And since they are HMOs they can't even get out-of-network benefits (at higher OOP cost to them); they are not covered at all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:13 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
So I went ahead and peeked over at the marketplace. Now I see there's an option to put in a doctor and see if the doc is covered as in-network or not for the plan. I went ahead and listed my doctor for the search. Looks like the way things are going, if I want HSA and my doctor, this leaves me with just one plan to choose from.
Keep in mind that feature is still in 'beta-testing' and the disclaimer should be followed.

Quote:
In this early stage, some data may be missing or inaccurate. We'll be updating it regularly. Check with the insurance company to verify network coverage.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Keep in mind that feature is still in 'beta-testing' and the disclaimer should be followed.
Thanks for the reminder about the "beta-testing".
Old 11-15-2015, 11:55 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone here know anything about a new plan called "Oscar?" It is available in only a few states including my home state of New York. Not wanting to remain with BCBS (premiums rising 14%, my recent fiasco with Express Scripts, their mail-order pharmacy), I have been looking elsewhere. Oscar has all of my doctors in their network, good coverage for my costly (Tier 2) prescription drug, and no mail-order requirement. Their Simple+Silver plan has free labwork at Quest Diagnostics, another plus.

As long as I can stay out of the hospital (I was in the hospital for nearly 2 weeks back in the summer) I won't come anywhere near $2,000 in OOP costs. And Oscar's premium will be 10-15% lower than BCBS for 2016. Looks like I'll switch to Oscar.

Question: Is there anything I should do with regard to canceling my BCBS policy at the end of the year? Or do I just simply not pay their January 2016 premium? I do have a doctor appt in late December which they will be obliged to cover fully (no cost to me because I have already exceeded my max OOP amount).

I don't seek any monthly premium assistance because I always owe federal income taxes so the subsidy I calculate at the end of the year will net out part of (or all) the taxes owed. The NY Marketplace website has always rejected my income verification attempts (annual brokerage statements) anyway, so what's the point?

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote